Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

If I re-call SIRB set the Central Dauphin career rushing record and had bock-to-back 1,000 seasons playing at the big boy level - that SHIP HS kid plays in a lower division-
    I think SERB is just want SHIP needs - last 3 games =154 yrds vs Lock Haven, 85 vs East Str and 140 vs IUP - if thats pedestrian than call me a WALKER

ALSO IUP wins - and the ROCK wins - Kutz will be the only loser next SAT

Quote Originally Posted by GOd2now View Post
    If I re-call SIRB set the Central Dauphin career rushing record and had bock-to-back 1,000 seasons playing at the big boy level - that SHIP HS kid plays in a lower division-
    I think SERB is just want SHIP needs - last 3 games =154 yrds vs Lock Haven, 85 vs East Str and 140 vs IUP - if thats pedestrian than call me a WALKER

You haven't seen both in person, obviously. Adam Houser has moves that Raleigh Sirb, as tough a cookie as he's been, has never seen. And Ship High is a 5A school, so I don't hold that "lower division" stuff in much regard. Ship was about as good as a resurgent Chambersburg this year, and Chambersburg was a .500 Commonwealth team.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 11-13-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    She’s not respected by fans or coaches. Second sport at Gannon to be run into the toilet under her. Just clueless on how to fix it.
    Amen
    Even back when I followed Gannon teams I must add Gannon never fires a coach. I think when they get so bad they move on by themselves.
    I guess they get too embarrassed to show their face at games with their loosing records and they just fade off to private industry or some unsuspecting school.
    Also I think MaGuirk added these female sports"TUMBLING & ACROBATICS", "COMPETATIVE CHEER (all girl)" "COMPETATIVE DANCE" and "WOMEN"S WRESTLING" no additional men sports.
    Maybe her AD-ship at all girl schools is showing some bias.
    Just sayin' ya kno
    Last edited by Sec10-A-14; 11-13-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Gannon is majority female. If they don't like providing women equal access to opportunity they can always give up the right for students to use federal grants or loans to pay for college in exchange for not having to adhere to Title IX. After all, that's the Catholic way, right? Joking aside, Gannon is 56% female. If Gannon alumni want a greater emphasis on men's programs they need to pressure the school to get more male students.

5. Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Seton Hill fired its football coaches today. Perhaps Collins was a bad coach, but shame on Seton Hill for reducing his scholarship money and resources to laughable levels AFTER they hired him and then they fire him after he goes 1-22. What did they expect?

6. Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Quote Originally Posted by PSACwatcher View Post
    Seton Hill fired its football coaches today. Perhaps Collins was a bad coach, but shame on Seton Hill for reducing his scholarship money and resources to laughable levels AFTER they hired him and then they fire him after he goes 1-22. What did they expect?
    They pull student/athletes from all over the Country and this was the first year they reduced the fball scholarships. They were 1-21 , the last 2 years , because of him. There were iplenty of games that SHU should have won. They didn’t because of him. He should have been fired last year. If he did, my son would play his 5th year next year. He just received his transfer release and he won’t be the last. Seton Hill is in big trouble. They waited too long.

7. Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Seton Hill has never cared about athletics. President Finger sees athletics as a necessary annoyance. Seton Hill uses athletics to recruit students - period. Seton Hill has zero commitment to winning. The AD is incompetent. Morale amongst all coaches is abysmal. The moral amongst Seton Hill employees in general is awful. It’s too bad your son was misled into thinking Seton Hill cares about athletics. I am sure Collins was a lousy coach, as you say. But no coach goes 1-22 by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by GOd2now View Post

IUP?

I hate seeing people get fired. But some coaches should just step down if they really care about the program and University. You can look at a team website, if it is weak more than likely that program is weak as well. Just sayin.

I saw online that Thiel also let their head coach go.

Someone I'd like to see get a chance at being a head coach is current Duquesne assistant Scott Farison. He coached for a long time at RMU including many as DC and assistant head coach before the entire staff was let go. Back when Edinboro fired Scott Browning I tried getting him to apply for the job. He's a nice guy and played at Mercyhurst so he's at least familiar with the DII world.

Collins coached at Widener prior to coming to Seton Hill a D3 program that basically gets the leftover kids whose parents want a private school education and the kids were undersized for D1 and D2 ball. No scholarships given at the D3 level and he won regularly there so don't know why funding would be an excuse for his teams poor performance. Now if you said facility wise I'd be more open to receiving that as they have no on campus stadium, play on a high school field and while IUP's and Clarion's stadiums aren't the best at least there is a real home field advantage by having them both be placed on campus. Collins will land back on his feet as a coordinator somewhere probably back at a D3 school.

12. Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Why did the lack of funding at Seton Hill put Collins at a disadvantage and lead to poor performance on the field? Because Collins competed in recruiting against PSAC schools who offer more athletic scholarship money than Collins could offer at Seton Hill AND those PSAC schools are less expensive to attend for those kids who have to pay part of the cost not covered by an athletic grant. The 2016-17 season, Seton Hill had a record of 5-6, an improvement from the previous two years when Seton Hill's record was 3-8 two years in a row. 5-6 is not a great record, but its not 0-11 or 1-10 like the following two years. So what happened after the 2016-17 season? After the 2016-17 season, Seton Hill drastically cut its athletic grants for all sports. The two sports where it becomes hardest to compete for upper D2 talent without athletic grants are football and basketball.

At the D3 level where Collins won games at Widener, at least he competed apples to apples on an level playing field with other D3 programs that couldn't offer athletic scholarship money either. At Seton Hill, he was funded at a glorified D3 level competing against schools that were funded at a much higher level.

Seton Hill announced it will conduct a national search for a coach. Wait until the candidates hear about the funding levels they are expected rely on to bring in competitive talent. That search will narrow quickly.

Why did the lack of funding at Seton Hill put Collins at a disadvantage and lead to poor performance on the field? Because Collins competed in recruiting against PSAC schools who offer more athletic scholarship money than Collins could offer at Seton Hill AND those PSAC schools are less expensive to attend for those kids who have to pay part of the cost not covered by an athletic grant. The 2016-17 season, Seton Hill had a record of 5-6, an improvement from the previous two years when Seton Hill's record was 3-8 two years in a row. 5-6 is not a great record, but its not 0-11 or 1-10 like the following two years. So what happened after the 2016-17 season? After the 2016-17 season, Seton Hill drastically cut its athletic grants for all sports. The two sports where it becomes hardest to compete for upper D2 talent without athletic grants are football and basketball.

At the D3 level where Collins won games at Widener, at least he competed apples to apples on an level playing field with other D3 programs that couldn't offer athletic scholarship money either. At Seton Hill, he was funded at a glorified D3 level competing against schools that were funded at a much higher level.

Seton Hill announced it will conduct a national search for a coach. Wait until the candidates hear about the funding levels they are expected rely on to bring in competitive talent. That search will narrow quickly.
    So ... are they going to rot away, drop football or consider moving down?

Huh? In 2015, Seton Hill had the most in the PSAC at 34. That dropped "way" down to 32 the following year and 25 last year. They lost to MANY teams with fewer football scholarships.

15. Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Seton Hill stopped giving out full scholarships in all sports several years ago. That is fact. Seton Hill is spreading out partial, smaller athletic grants over dozens of new recruits. It also costs $50,000 per year to attend Seton Hill, whether you are in-state or out of state. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...versity/price/ So, unless the football athlete gets a large academic scholarship, he has a large bill to pay or loans to take out.

By contrast, just to name a few examples:

It costs $25,000 - $31,000 to attend IUP. https://www.iup.edu/financialaid/tot...ing-your-bill/

It costs $26,000 - $30,000 to attend CalU of PA. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...ylvania/price/

It costs $25,000 - $29,000 to attend Edinboro. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...ylvania/price/

So, if you are a legit D2 football player, even if IUP, Cal or Edinboro won't give you a full scholly, are you going to Seton Hill or IUP? Seton Hill or Cal? Seton hill or Edinboro?

Average student pays $21,747 at Seton Hill. That would be before athletic aid.

Seton Hill stopped giving out full scholarships in all sports several years ago. That is fact. Seton Hill is spreading out partial, smaller athletic grants over dozens of new recruits. It also costs $50,000 per year to attend Seton Hill, whether you are in-state or out of state. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...versity/price/ So, unless the football athlete gets a large academic scholarship, he has a large bill to pay or loans to take out.

By contrast, just to name a few examples:

It costs $25,000 - $31,000 to attend IUP. https://www.iup.edu/financialaid/tot...ing-your-bill/

It costs $26,000 - $30,000 to attend CalU of PA. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...ylvania/price/

It costs $25,000 - $29,000 to attend Edinboro. https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...ylvania/price/

So, if you are a legit D2 football player, even if IUP, Cal or Edinboro won't give you a full scholly, are you going to Seton Hill or IUP? Seton Hill or Cal? Seton hill or Edinboro?

You are assuming they are charging athletes full 'retail' price to attend.

18. Default Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat

That is per semester....annual is $43-45k.

Why ... that's quite different.

Seton Hill tells the federal dept of education that the average cost after academic aid is $21,747. That's for the full year including room, board, fees, etc. The average kid pays a total cost of $21,747.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast