Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Looks like Mack Brown will be hired as the Tar Heels new coach. You all didn't think they were really going to hire an Opie from some of these backwater schools y'all mentioned did you?

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Looks like Mack Brown will be hired as the Tar Heels new coach. You all didn't think they were really going to hire an Opie from some of these backwater schools y'all mentioned did you?

-
    Isn't he like 80?

3. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Isn't he like 80?
    I think 67 or so. But yeah, a blast from the past as he is a bit seasoned and a former UNC head coach (1988-1997). I have to admit that I am not sure why the Carolina brass would want to go with him.

-

I would have thought they would have gone for the Appalachian State coach over Mack Brown. While he can sell recruits on playing for the coach who upset the USC dynasty program to win the BCS title over a decade ago the game has surely passed him by and they are looking at a 3-4 year window before he hangs it up rather than a young upcoming coach. Moves like this though means schools like Temple, FAU, Cincinnati, Memphis have a decent shot at retaining their coaching staffs.

You wonder how much this was politically fueled, also. The North Carolina program has been dumpster fire on and (especially) off the field for a long time now. I'd assume the theory of the Tar Heel brass is let Mack clean things up and get ready to hand the rebuilt product off to the next hire in 3-4 years.

Chapel Hill really should sell itself to recruits. They've had a lot of talent there. Lot of boneheads, too. It will always be a basketball school first and foremost but one should be able to win there consistently.

UNC football is overshadowed by the storied basketball program but has surprising standing among UNC folk. I have several professional friends who are UNC alumni and online they talk just as much about UNC football as basketball. They're also somewhat delusional to the same degree as Pitt fans. Its a mediocre program that can draw 50k to a big game and with some luck be in contention for their division but will never win a national title. Hiring a name like Mack Brown makes them feel big time. Just like when the Pirates hired Clint Hurdle. Means nothing.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 11-26-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Isn't he like 80?

Because foosball there is like baseball at IUP.

8. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Mack Brown was a big recruiter. I remember UNC in the 90's cheering against Florida St. However long he stays...if he can recruit and make them even respectable..whats the difference if they throw it at a young guy that they fire in 3-4 years. I dont get the go young for the future bs. the future is now...the young guys will be fired or going to a Florida St if they win anyway.

UNC, ECU, and Charlotte are off.

Some new vacancies: App State, James Madison, Akron.

I don't see him taking an FBS coordinator job.

The Temple job just came open with Geoff Collins going to Georgia Tech. As a Temple fan, Cignetti is actually one of my top choices, possibly my #2 choice. With his head coaching record at Elon and IUP and his experience as an assistant and recruiting coordinator at Alabama and NC State (and assistant prior to that at Pitt and Temple), Cignetti IMO has a very strong resume. (My top choice is former Temple assistant coach/current Baylor associate head coach Fran Brown.)

So is Lehigh. Does Folmar go for it?

My friend who lives in Las Vegas was listening to a college football show on Sirius radio today. Told me that they listed Cignetti’s name as an absolute candidate for the Temple job.

I still think that’s a decent sized jump to the American, but in the right spot, that’s the conference he could do well at. App State might be an interesting one as well given his connections in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    So is Lehigh. Does Folmar go for it?
    According to a message board friend I know from the DI-AA Any Given Saturday site and the Temple Owls Daily 247 Sports site who is a bigger Lehigh fan and follows the football program closer than I do, Folmar is one of the two favorites to get the Lehigh head coaching job.

14. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Certainly Curt has served previously as an assistant at Temple some 25 years ago or so. He may not be a bad choice here for the Owls.

-

Curt getting a lot of buzz for the James Madison job.

Curt getting a lot of buzz for the James Madison job.
    I hope Curt lands a job he wants. I hate to get too far out into the speculative realm but what if one had two offers in front of oneself at the same salary. Which would one accept - JMU or Temple?

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I hope Curt lands a job he wants. I hate to get too far out into the speculative realm but what if one had two offers in front of oneself at the same salary. Which would one accept - JMU or Temple?
    I'm going to give the cop-out answer - it is highly unlikely he'd receive similar salary offers for those two jobs. I think most good DI-AA jobs offer salaries in the few hundred thousand dollar range while I believe Temple was paying Geoff Collins $1.5 million annually.

18. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Not sure but I thought that I heard that his one daughter is attending med school right near where he currently is at Elon. Who knows, maybe if he and his family are happy there perhaps they are willing to just stay put?

-

Not sure but I thought that I heard that his one daughter is attending med school right near where he currently is at Elon. Who knows, maybe if he and his family are happy there perhaps they are willing to just stay put?

-
    IF that's the case he still would probably accept the JMU job which offers better facilities, easier recruiting pitch and if he does have any aspiration of running a FBS program that would be the easier jump with success and could land him a high tier G5 job like a Houston, Temple, UCF.

-

Yeah we said that about him staying in Indiana. He proved us wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast