Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    They are just 6-4 this year so they regressed.
    This is such a short-sighted take. A winning record in the CAA is difficult to do, and they made the playoffs for the second straight year, which is the first time the program has ever done that. Any "regression" this season is minute compared to their 4–20 CAA record before his hire.

2. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

6 of the 24 team 1aa playoff field is from the CAA. And one of the losses was to USF, a pretty good 1a team. I dont think he has to win the Natl title but winning a few games would set up a good shot for a move.

3. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

They are just 6-4 this year so they regressed.
    Still took them to the playoffs two years in a row which is pretty impressive given how bad they were previously.

They made the playoffs at 6-4?

Must be a down year in FCS.

The CAA is a very deep and balanced league. It's not like the PSAC with 16 football teams and only half have any chance of making the postseason.

There's already 8 to 10 PSAC teams already eliminated from next year's playoffs.

4-loss teams make the FCS playoffs every season. Last year, 5 7-4 teams qualified. Elon only has 6 wins because their game against W&M was cancelled due to the hurricane.

But by all means, keep pretending to know anything about FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
    Still took them to the playoffs two years in a row which is pretty impressive given how bad they were previously.
    Elon has had success before. And they have a ton of money. It's not like he took a team without resources and tradition and turned them into an instant winner. I'm not diminishing his success but let's not frame it as impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Elon has had success before. And they have a ton of money. It's not like he took a team without resources and tradition and turned them into an instant winner. I'm not diminishing his success but let's not frame it as impossible.
    They've had success in Division II/NAIA. Their success in Division I/FCS is new. It's not groundbreaking necessarily, and if the team stagnates around this tier for multiple years on end without taking advantage of the resources you mention, I could see them start to look in other directions. That's all hypothetical, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    They've had success in Division II/NAIA. Their success in Division I/FCS is new. It's not groundbreaking necessarily, and if the team stagnates around this tier for multiple years on end without taking advantage of the resources you mention, I could see them start to look in other directions. That's all hypothetical, time will tell.
    One thing that's made FCS difficult is that they've always belonged to tough FCS conferences. Prior to joining the Colonial (Delaware, James Madison, Richmond) they belonged to the Southern (Citadel, Furman, VMI, Western Carolina).

4-loss teams make the FCS playoffs every season. Last year, 5 7-4 teams qualified. Elon only has 6 wins because their game against W&M was cancelled due to the hurricane.

I will just like you ESU fans pretend to know everything about IUP.

11. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Correct. Elon did well under Pete Lembo who left to take over Ball State (Lustig was on his staff). The guy they had between Lembo and Cignetti was awful. Cignetti has done well at Elon, but he has essentially brought them back to where they were in the Lembo era. Elon plays in arguably the toughest conference in FCS.

I will just like you ESU fans pretend to know everything about IUP.
    LMAO, good rebuttal! Point me to where I've ever pretended to do that. You know you can't win this argument so you have to resort to generalizing. Just admit defeat.

LMAO, good rebuttal! Point me to where I've ever pretended to do that. You know you can't win this argument so you have to resort to generalizing. Just admit defeat.

Nation has been mad at Warrior since 1981. You aren't getting off that easy.

Yeah. I’m always right and I never concede. I mean that way of thinking gets you elected President ...so I’m going with that.

Yeah. I’m always right and I never concede. I mean that way of thinking gets you elected President ...so I’m going with that.
    LOL ... thought you loved The Donald?

The CAA placed 6 teams in the playoffs this season (in a 24 team field); it was balanced and strong this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    The CAA placed 6 teams in the playoffs this season (in a 24 team field); it was balanced and strong this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The league is insane. It's nothing like the PSAC where top teams can write in 7 wins before the ball even kicks off.

Imagine if the PSAC was comprised of its Top 10 teams and the dead weight was removed. That's the grind of that league.

Most took one of their losses to an FBS team.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Most took one of their losses to an FBS team.
    Yup, as did Elon. 34-14 to USF.

Top names floating for the potential NC opening are the coach at James Madison and the coach at Appalachian State.

Both hot commodities.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast