Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Default OT: Curt Cignetti

It's mentioned in this article that he is one of a few smaller-division coaches receiving interest from MAC schools.
    Last edited by Dozsa2; 11-12-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti

A job in the AAC or MW makes much more sense than a MAC job IMO for Curt. At least in the AAC at a school like Houston/Cincinnati/Temple/UCF/USF there's a quicker chance for landing a P5 job as all those schools have had recent coaches move on to P5 jobs. Frankly if Temple opened up he should jump at the chance to get that job as their last 3 coaches have landed at Miami (FL), Boston College and Baylor lol. And he has NE recruiting history while also maintaining good relationships with the SE programs.

Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti

I think the ECU or Charlotte jobs could be good for him. Not a huge move. Already has renewed the name he made for himself in the region from his time at NC State. I'm going to guess Curt makes somewhere around $250k at Elon. Charlotte was paying their head coach $597k. ECU paid their coach $1.05 million. I imagine he'd kick the tires on both jobs.

The MAC is a meatgrinder just like the PSAC. You can work your tail off but the schools are so evenly matched for resources and recruiting territory its difficult to win consistently. Once a new guy comes along and does well he's poached by school with deeper pockets sending that school back to the bottom of the pile. Lance Leopold will be next.

Think of who cut their teeth as a first time head coach in the MAC:

Steve Addazio
    Dave Doeren
    P.J. Fleck
    Al Golden
    Brady Hoke
    Butch Jones
    Brian Kelly
    Jerry Kill
    Urban Meyer
    Nick Saban

Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think the ECU or Charlotte jobs could be good for him. Not a huge move. Already has renewed the name he made for himself in the region from his time at NC State. I'm going to guess Curt makes somewhere around $250k at Elon. Charlotte was paying their head coach $597k. ECU paid their coach $1.05 million. I imagine he'd kick the tires on both jobs.

The MAC is a meatgrinder just like the PSAC. You can work your tail off but the schools are so evenly matched for resources and recruiting territory its difficult to win consistently. Once a new guy comes along and does well he's poached by school with deeper pockets sending that school back to the bottom of the pile. Lance Leopold will be next.

Think of who cut their teeth as a first time head coach in the MAC:

Steve Addazio
    Dave Doeren
    P.J. Fleck
    Al Golden
    Brady Hoke
    Butch Jones
    Brian Kelly
    Jerry Kill
    Urban Meyer
    Nick Saban
    The MAC as a stepping goes at least as far back as Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler, the bitter rivals whose first D1 HC jobs came at Miami (OH)

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    The MAC as a stepping goes at least as far back as Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler, the bitter rivals whose first D1 HC jobs came at Miami (OH)
    Correct. Don't forget Weeb Eubank, Paul Brown, and Ara Parseghian. All Miami.

You forgot Sid Gillman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lord I figured you were old but didn't think you dated back to Walter Camp .... jus sayin

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Good lord I figured you were old but didn't think you dated back to Walter Camp .... jus sayin
    Spent a couple years living in Oxford, Ohio. Miami people are impressively big on their school history.

9. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Curt Cig to chapel hill

10. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
    Curt Cig to chapel hill
    interesting thought

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    While Miami is the cradle of coaches, Springfield College had a hand in developing two sports when James Naismith and Amos Alonzo Stagg were on staff there. And John Cena played football there too...I’ll go back in my corner.

12. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by cwfenn View Post
    While Miami is the cradle of coaches, Springfield College had a hand in developing two sports when James Naismith and Amos Alonzo Stagg were on staff there. And John Cena played football there too...I’ll go back in my corner.
    Anybody who makes even a passing reference to pro wrestling is ok in my book.

Curt Cig to chapel hill
    Is that your guess or is there something written to the effect of them wanting him to be their next HC?

14. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    Is that your guess or is there something written to the effect of them wanting him to be their next HC?
    Just throwing it out there. Very unlikely to happen.

Why would any D1 school pluck Cignetti from Elon? He hasn't won anything there yet.

Curt Cig to chapel hill
    NO Chance....One does not go from Elon to NC unless he wins National Championship....

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    NO Chance....One does not go from Elon to NC unless he wins National Championship....
    I know right? He hasn't even won the CAA title.

I mean they are 6-4 and mid pack in their league.

That win over James Madison lost it's luster. They are 8-3. Guess they are having as bad a year as IUP.

18. Default Re: OT: Curt Cignetti on the move?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Why would any D1 school pluck Cignetti from Elon? He hasn't won anything there yet.
    He hasn’t done anything at Elon? Are you serious. He took the worst team in the league to the playoffs last year. Turned the whole program around in a year.

He hasn’t done anything at Elon? Are you serious. He took the worst team in the league to the playoffs last year. Turned the whole program around in a year.

They are just 6-4 this year so they regressed.

Keep in mind Elon was the equivalent of Lock Haven.

Not saying he's ACC ready but he has pulled an amazing flip.

All kinds of jobs are going to open soon. Then they get filled and open all kinds of more jobs.

The ferris wheel goes round and round.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast