Thread: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

Default IUP 1993 - 25 years later

I shared this when we were near the 20th anniversary of IUP’s near miss in the1993 national championship game, and now we’re approaching 25 years so why not. Plus I still can’t get enough of the early 90s production.

https://youtu.be/fyCsJY3S2qI

If only Michael Mann has turned around in the end zone...we’d have won.

3. Default Re: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

What's really lousy is that the championship site in Florence, Alabama was supposed to be a neutral site. Instead it was a home game for North Alabama.

I can't believe that is going to be 25 years here.

-

4. Default Re: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    If only Michael Mann has turned around in the end zone...we’d have won.
    And it may never have come down to all that if not for the breakdown that allowed UNA to block that punt earlier in the 4th. IUP was in total control at that point.

Default Re: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

Those were the teams that changed the PSAC in to the everybody gets a trophy league.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Those were the teams that changed the PSAC in to the everybody gets a trophy league.

Yep.

And the sad thing was the 1991 team was probably the best and they got screwed being forced on the road in the playoffs when they were the top ranked team in the country.

That is excellent. I remember traveling up to the New Haven game, not being able to get to IUP for the North Dakota game and then watching the championship game on TV. We've got to do that again except come out on top the next time.

8. Default Re: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    That is excellent. I remember traveling up to the New Haven game, not being able to get to IUP for the North Dakota game and then watching the championship game on TV. We've got to do that again except come out on top the next time.
    You didn't miss much unless you like to stand in rain-soaked, cold, and muddy cow pastures. Downright dismal day.

The national title game was in part on ESPN the following week but they kept switching between it and the D-III title game between Rowan and Mount Union. That was tough to take.

-

Geez...look at all the crappy grass fields back in those days. IUP wasn't alone with the goat pasture that's for sure.

10. Default Re: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    You didn't miss much unless you like to stand in rain-soaked, cold, and muddy cow pastures. Downright dismal day.

The national title game was in part on ESPN the following week but they kept switching between it and the D-III title game between Rowan and Mount Union. That was tough to take.

-
    My parents actually had one of those really huge old satellite dishes and if you knew where to look you could find different network feeds. We found an ESPN feed that didn’t show commercials, you just heard the announcers talking with each other during breaks and we watched the game uninterrupted. We had it on VHS tape but it’s long gone. I’d love to get a copy of the game, if they even exist.

I can't watch the ending of the NC game. It's still too painful to watch.

To allow a high school option offense complete that long pass was a gigantic punch to the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    My parents actually had one of those really huge old satellite dishes and if you knew where to look you could find different network feeds. We found an ESPN feed that didn’t show commercials, you just heard the announcers talking with each other during breaks and we watched the game uninterrupted. We had it on VHS tape but it’s long gone. I’d love to get a copy of the game, if they even exist.
    Like a lot of people I also had a VHS tape of the game and it is long gone.

Like a lot of people I also had a VHS tape of the game and it is long gone.
    I'm the opposite. I have tons of old IUP football and basketball games on VHS ... with no VCR to watch them! I've been meaning to hit one of the 'antique' stores or Salvation Army to pick one up and I always forget.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm the opposite. I have tons of old IUP football and basketball games on VHS ... with no VCR to watch them! I've been meaning to hit one of the 'antique' stores or Salvation Army to pick one up and I always forget.

Or you can get them transferred to DVD.

15. Default Re: IUP 1993 - 25 years later

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    I know what you mean. We used to have one of those as well. I believe 1983 was the installation date. I used to pick up a lot of Raider and Laker games on the West Coast and watch them like that. It was kind of cool.

-

IUP held New Haven and its two 1000+ yard rushers (and Harlon Hill winner) that averaged over 50 points a game to its lowest point total of the season, just 35 points. That tells me all I need to know about how good IUP was that year.