Thread: Coaching Openings and League Growth

Contribute to D2

Default Coaching Openings and League Growth

Filling the openings at KWC and LEC will go a long way in determining how much these teams can improve over the course of the next few year. Better Panthers and a better Storm are good for all of us.
    Hillsdale ‘94

Default Re: Coaching Openings and League Growth

Totally agree with your assessment, CB. I did think that KWC made a bit of improvement this year, but they have a long way to go. LEC? Oh, man. They've got big troubles. I've heard rumors that the head coach's pay is about fast-food level. Also heard that there was lot of turmoil among the players and coaches. Also heard that as many as 40 players plan to leave the program, and perhaps transfer. Of course, all of these rumors came second and third hand, so I make no claims of any truth to any rumor. Bottom line, the GMAC needs to have stronger programs that project the conference's overall mission. Now LEC does have a couple of decent, but not great, teams within other sports. Nonetheless, football remains the premier sport for the GMAC, with basketball probably an equal partner. Perhaps LEC will consider the future of their athletic program, and the GMAC might consider a qualified new member. Hey, I'm just rambling along with this, but I've been dissing LEC all season long. Ever visit their "press box?" Many small, rural high schools have much, much better facilities. Okay, I'm done with this rant. GO CHARGERS!

I know the search is on for a new Head Football Coach at KWC. I think they will get as good a coach as they can buy. I don't know how much that is. It is probably enough to make a lot of coaches want the job. I have no idea what their time frame is on the hire. They probably have a lot of coaches to interview.

The football program basically has a new Executive Manager as well in Mr. A.J. Smith. He should help to make a difference. When the new coach is set in place, things should start running smoothly. Mr. Smith has all the expertise needed to do the job at KWC after all the years he spent in the NFL.

A.J. Smith KWC article link: https://kwcpanthers.com/news/2018/9/...?path=football

The LEC rumors mesh with what I've heard from players on the team. The football coach is the highest paid coach at the school, but one of the lowest paid football coaches in D2.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleDude View Post
    Totally agree with your assessment, CB. I did think that KWC made a bit of improvement this year, but they have a long way to go. LEC? Oh, man. They've got big troubles. I've heard rumors that the head coach's pay is about fast-food level. Also heard that there was lot of turmoil among the players and coaches. Also heard that as many as 40 players plan to leave the program, and perhaps transfer. Of course, all of these rumors came second and third hand, so I make no claims of any truth to any rumor. Bottom line, the GMAC needs to have stronger programs that project the conference's overall mission. Now LEC does have a couple of decent, but not great, teams within other sports. Nonetheless, football remains the premier sport for the GMAC, with basketball probably an equal partner. Perhaps LEC will consider the future of their athletic program, and the GMAC might consider a qualified new member. Hey, I'm just rambling along with this, but I've been dissing LEC all season long. Ever visit their "press box?" Many small, rural high schools have much, much better facilities. Okay, I'm done with this rant. GO CHARGERS!
    Who would the GMAC want to add? Personally, I think the school that makes the most sense is Notre Dame.

7. Default Re: Coaching Openings and League Growth

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Who would the GMAC want to add? Personally, I think the school that makes the most sense is Notre Dame.
    Notre Dame, Urbana, Ashland (the GMACs number 1 school), and there have been rumors of Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Notre Dame, Urbana, Ashland (the GMACs number 1 school), and there have been rumors of Indy.
    I've always thought the GMAC had a chance to be a really good football league. If it can get NDC and UIndy, that would be a huge plus. I still can't see Ashland leaving the GLIAC. Although, I didn't think I would ever see Shepherd in the PSAC, so you never know.

9. Default Re: Coaching Openings and League Growth

I've always thought the GMAC had a chance to be a really good football league. If it can get NDC and UIndy, that would be a huge plus. I still can't see Ashland leaving the GLIAC. Although, I didn't think I would ever see Shepherd in the PSAC, so you never know.
    Ashland said they will revisit the GMAC offer after this two year cycle. I think they pull the trigger next year. That's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Ashland said they will revisit the GMAC offer after this two year cycle. I think they pull the trigger next year. That's just my opinion.
    It absolutely makes sense for them in terms of travel. Especially for the sports that have games during the week. Some of those trips are insane. I wonder if they would try to cut a deal where they stay in the GLIAC for football, but join the GMAC in everything else? I wonder if the GMAC would even be open to such an arrangement?

It absolutely makes sense for them in terms of travel. Especially for the sports that have games during the week. Some of those trips are insane. I wonder if they would try to cut a deal where they stay in the GLIAC for football, but join the GMAC in everything else? I wonder if the GMAC would even be open to such an arrangement?
    I don't think either league would be in favor of that idea.