Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

Contribute to D2

Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Yeah Butler was the NWMO of JuCo FB for a little while.
    That's the comparison that always came up.

2. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

Oh don’t get me wrong, Sims is a good coach. Just when it comes to recruiting don’t expect Kansas kids, expect a lot of Jucos and kids from troubled pasts.

Quote Originally Posted by BartonTiger View Post
    Oh don’t get me wrong, Sims is a good coach. Just when it comes to recruiting don’t expect Kansas kids, expect a lot of Jucos and kids from troubled pasts.
    Let me throw a comparison out there - Rocky Hager ... discus ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    *discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Interesting you should bring him up Frosty, Rocky's son, Josh I believe is his name, is the current DC for Sims now. I wonder if he will be coming to Southern with Sims in some capacity or if he will stay at Garden City? If somehow he were to come to Southern then Rocky would have ties to Southern. Hager should have been the head coach at Southern back when they hired John Ware (right after Leon lowered the offer that had been made to Rocky a the last minute and Rocky said no way ). Leon did some great things at Southern, football wasn't one of them, in fact he was Southern's worst enemy during his tenure when it came to football.

Nice insight. You're 100% correct in stating that Rocky should have been Mssu's head coach. I think Julio was spooked by the off-the-field issues at NDSU. Ironically, that player ended up at Pitt, if memory serves correctly.

I recall meeting Rocky in Jim's office and the introduction being, "meet our next football coach" ... That was after Lantz, though, not Ware. Not sure Rocky was in the discussion before they settled on Ware - I don't think he was. At least, he wasn't one of the three finalist announced (which none of the three actually took the job).

For football to be good anywhere, the upper administration has to buy in. Never happened at Mssu under Julio or Speck. For what it's worth, a member of the search committee said to me, "the administration has finally bought in." Encouraging, at least.

Julio was poison to athletics, not just football at both Mssu and Colorado-Pueblo. He saw no use for athletics at a college, which is ironic, because he was a track athlete during his college days.

7. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

First, I want to apologize to any coach I may have thrown in front of the bus. I also want to make it clear that I am not who I pretended to be. I'm just an average person who currently attends school at MSSU and know a few of the coaches from Daryl Daye's time as coach. I don't know Daye, I don't know Thomas. I don't even know Jeff Sims. I had an agenda and I did not think clearly of the impact it would leave on coaches and friendships. I pretended to be someone I am not in order to help someone who doesn't need my help. It did not work out for him to return to MOSO, but it will work out for him to go elsewhere as he deserves to be in coaching for the right reasons. Our friendship is strained and I was reminded of this over Thanksgiving and this note won't make it right.

The things I said were not false, but it was not information I was permitted to share openly. That is the thing about coaches is that the good ones don't care what's on a message board. The good ones don't care that there is a message board. The good one's don't even know a message board exists because they are still grinding toward the next thing.

I hope Jeff Sims does for MOSO what Daye started to do and can see it through. He does have a history of success that is mirrored by scandal when he leaves, but that's just what I've read in articles. I take my boys out to the MOSO games, so I hope we start to see some good, physical tough games.

This may not be my last post, but I do want to tell the following coaches I apologize for airing your dirty laundry. Understand, I'm not apologizing for "making things up", I'm apologizing for putting your business out there for all to see. If you don't like the business that is out there, maybe you ought to fix how you are living your life. To Coach Daye, I am going to do a better job living out my bible, I hope you will too. To Coach Thomas, I'm sorry for intruding in your career path. To a few others that I stole their stories and shared their visions, our friendships mean as much to me as your players do to you. To Coach Sims, everywhere you go you find success; everywhere you leave, scandal and issues unravel. FCCC, Indiana, FAU, and even at GCCC (Letter's to players at JUCO's closing down) At MSSU you have a chance to build something special in a community that doesn't know what they could have. Don't bring the win at all cost mentality because I drive just as far from Oklahoma to bring my boys to MOSO games as it would for me to drive to Pitt State. I believe in the Lions because inside, I have the heart of a lion that a pumping green and gold everyday!

I wanted to delete my comments and just move past it, but the impact of my words has been heard and I can't take them back. I did not lie or falsely accuse, I simply shared when it was not my story to tell. For that, I am sorry.

8. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

Geez Lionheart, it seems like you wanted to write a public apology. If so, you should've stopped after your first paragraph. Instead, you went on and seemed to slip in some more digs on people.

Cool Story Bro

10. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

No, I apologize you took it that way. If you felt my comments on Sims were a dig, I have no digs. I put out facts I know to be true as I read the articles that he is mentioned in. The truth is coaches care for their players regardless of the name on their shirt. For us, the fans, we appreciate talent at others schools but we love our own. It's a shame that we haven't done more as a program and if Sims can get us where we belong, then I'm fired up.

But I am hesitant because while it was successful while he was there, he left quickly for the next place just to stay in front of the mess. I only ask that when he wins, he has proven he can, he doesn't leave us like he left Fort Scott, like he has left Indiana, like he left FAU, and time will tell if Garden City will find a mess in his absence. These aren't digs in my mind, I am a fan no different than you. I'm going to be an alumni (hope no different than you), maybe one of my boys will play for the Lions someday. Coaches leave or get fired, but we will always be fans. I'm not bitter, I'm not upset, I'm excited and I'm behind Jeff Sims.

11. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

Fair enough...

I think the first few weeks could be very interesting to see how the following play out in the next few weeks/months

1. What coaches return..besides Bettasso, because apparently he is staying.
    2. Who follows him from Garden City JC to MSSU....maybe some...maybe no one...
    3. Does he have any D1 ties that can bring in some D1 transfers
    4. How hard will local schools be recruited?

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...222675065.html

“It raises serious questions about GCCC football, maybe even raises the question of reckless endangerment, led by head coach Jeff Sims,” Eichner told The Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...222675065.html

“It raises serious questions about GCCC football, maybe even raises the question of reckless endangerment, led by head coach Jeff Sims,” Eichner told The Eagle.
    Terrible and sad news for that players family.

I am hoping that over the course of this hiring process, MSSU did their homework and looked into this.....

Yeah that's a terrible deal. No real facts have been given aside from cause of death. The school says they are investigating. (Seems like they should have done so when it happened instead of now)

16. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

Don't they have sayings about smoke? Sims can't run fast enough. Where there is smoke... Frosty, how does that saying go? Sims leaves behind a smoldering mess.

At least Maryland put a price on winning and what is MOSO's response going to be?

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-reinstatement

Quote Originally Posted by LionHeart View Post
    Don't they have sayings about smoke? Sims can't run fast enough. Where there is smoke... Frosty, how does that saying go? Sims leaves behind a smoldering mess.

At least Maryland put a price on winning and what is MOSO's response going to be?

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-reinstatement
    Not to take any attention away from the tragedy of this players death, but LionHeart....Who are you man...Are you a student? A disgruntled Ex-Coach? I am still trying to figure that mess out......

Quote Originally Posted by MSSU LIONS View Post
    Not to take any attention away from the tragedy of this players death, but LionHeart....Who are you man...Are you a student? A disgruntled Ex-Coach? I am still trying to figure that mess out......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKqjwvWNnzg Duh...

Sims can tell local recruits that he is re-building a trashed program, unlike the program across the state line that is burrying itself as a once proud program that is trash.
    Sent from my GorillaPad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123