Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    993
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    11361

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
    https://newmanandduquesne.wordpress....ootball-coach/

    Here is my write up on his introduction Sunday.
    Great article - Thank you for the great coverage of the Lions ...

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Posts
    1,258
    Rep Power
    49772

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
    https://newmanandduquesne.wordpress....ootball-coach/

    Here is my write up on his introduction Sunday.
    Nice write up. I am all fired up, put me in coach!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    The CJ did an article on the attitude of HS coaches towards the Jucos a year or two ago after the rule change. It said that many HS coaches had closed their doors to the JuCos because they couldn't get them to look at KS kids until they had struck out elsewhere if at all. It did more than make them work hard. It took away opportunities from KS kids.


    The article did mention that the positive was that it reinforced a need for kids to get good grades because they didn't have the juco cheat to get them into a real college anymore.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    993
    Rep Power
    11361

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    The CJ did an article on the attitude of HS coaches towards the Jucos a year or two ago after the rule change. It said that many HS coaches had closed their doors to the JuCos because they couldn't get them to look at KS kids until they had struck out elsewhere if at all. It did more than make them work hard. It took away opportunities from KS kids.


    The article did mention that the positive was that it reinforced a need for kids to get good grades because they didn't have the juco cheat to get them into a real college anymore.
    Another question ... if the Kansas HS players were good enough, would the Kansas JuCos have to go elsewhere to recruit? Fair question, as Missouri Southern built its champion teams on the backs of Oklahoma recruits because they were easier to recruit / better in most cases than their Missouri counterparts ...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
    https://newmanandduquesne.wordpress....ootball-coach/

    Here is my write up on his introduction Sunday.
    Well done.

  6. #26

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I remember Kent Shorten in the early 90's coming to Mssu from Pittsburg HS and being good - have there been any OTHER Kansas HS players make an impact at MSSU?
    Dustin Bromley (Coffeyville) was a starting WR for Southern in like 04-05, Moses Manga was a good CB (I think he returned kicks, too) from Winfield KS in the mid-2000s, Zeke Williams from Wichita was a productive linebacker under Daye... There aren't many. But, there have been some. Blazer Snell is a freshman from Wichita currently on the roster who in the kick returner rotation in 2018.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Another question ... if the Kansas HS players were good enough, would the Kansas JuCos have to go elsewhere to recruit? Fair question, as Missouri Southern built its champion teams on the backs of Oklahoma recruits because they were easier to recruit / better in most cases than their Missouri counterparts ...
    KS schools were in 5 of 10 championship games in the 10 years prior to the change, so yeah KS kids were good enough.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Another question ... if the Kansas HS players were good enough, would the Kansas JuCos have to go elsewhere to recruit? Fair question, as Missouri Southern built its champion teams on the backs of Oklahoma recruits because they were easier to recruit / better in most cases than their Missouri counterparts ...
    This disqualifies you from the argument. There are dozens of KS kids that get d1-d2 scholarships from their tape at these jucos.

  9. #29

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    In my experience, especially the JUCOS in SEK, they take anyone and everyone that wants to play. People that have zero business being on a college football field got offered some petty scholarship offer, and the students chomped at the bit to keep playing because they haven't planned accordingly and no one told them they don't have the work ethic.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
    In my experience, especially the JUCOS in SEK, they take anyone and everyone that wants to play. People that have zero business being on a college football field got offered some petty scholarship offer, and the students chomped at the bit to keep playing because they haven't planned accordingly and no one told them they don't have the work ethic.
    Well they were getting like 150 kids and using some kids as camp body's. I think far more quit in Juco than an MIAA

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    993
    Rep Power
    11361

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    This disqualifies you from the argument. There are dozens of KS kids that get d1-d2 scholarships from their tape at these jucos.
    Doesn't disqualify me from anything ... Why, then, did they change the rule if the Kansas HS players were so good?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Doesn't disqualify me from anything ... Why, then, did they change the rule if the Kansas HS players were so good?
    You are debating a subject u have little knowledge on. Many in state kids choose jucos because they want the d1 offer. Ben Powers would have been at Pitt but chose Butler, a year later he's an all Big 12 lineman at OU. Thats just one example, it happens frequently

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    I'll put a turd in the punch bowl for our MSSU fans. Simms will be gone before year four. He may go 4 wins his next year, but it will drop season to season. Nothing has been shown that he can develop a foundation for a program. It's gonna be jucos quick fixes, and a locker room full of cancers. He is looking to bounce to next level programs. May not leave you on probation but the program will be in the same mess it is now.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Doesn't disqualify me from anything ... Why, then, did they change the rule if the Kansas HS players were so good?
    I think the change went into effect in 2016. I think they finally got them pushed through by ruling that the old requirements were racist because KS doesn't have a high enough minority population or something like that.

    I don't have a real opinion on it either way, but I know it tarnished the relationship between HS and JuCo in KS. My only take on the subject is if state tax dollars are being used, I have no problem with in state kids getting priority looks.

    The law change also upped roster size and allowed KS JuCos to give full schollies instead of just books and tuition. (I don't think the last one went into effect until this year. Not sure on that, though.)

    Sims even went to a NC with a team full of KS kids at FSCC before the rule changes, so saying it was done so they could compete is just wrong.

  15. Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Butler CC is the only program that still recruits very heavily Kansas kids. Part of the grip for Sims was the fact he hated having to bring in second/third tier Kansas kids because he couldn’t land the big dogs from in-state like Butler, Hutch or even Coffeyville. Of course the population of the state is back central and East.

    He still won a LOT with Kansas kids but wanted his roster to be completely filled with out of state kids.

    He took away a lot of opportunities for Kansas kids but in hindsight he helped the Kansas high school coaches get it through their kids heads that academics matter. There are only so many MIAA/SW Oklahoma offers, so most kids are looking NAIA. It has been a boom for the for many MIAA programs (not just the in-state) and the NAIA schools. WON’T be for Sims or MoSouth (not they get any anyway).

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    993
    Rep Power
    11361

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    I'll put a turd in the punch bowl for our MSSU fans. Simms will be gone before year four. He may go 4 wins his next year, but it will drop season to season. Nothing has been shown that he can develop a foundation for a program. It's gonna be jucos quick fixes, and a locker room full of cancers. He is looking to bounce to next level programs. May not leave you on probation but the program will be in the same mess it is now.
    Who do you think they should've hired, Mr. Sunshine and rainbows?

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Coffeyville was a powerhouse BITD.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    I think Sims is a good hire. He hasn't done it at the 4 year level yet, but I think he'll figure it out.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,541
    Rep Power
    438801

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Yeah Butler was the NWMO of JuCo FB for a little while.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Open Road
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    79542

    Default Re: MSSU hires Jeff Simms from Garden City

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Who do you think they should've hired, Mr. Sunshine and rainbows?
    I actually don't have anyone in mind. Hell Partridge if he was interested would have been a good hire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •