Updated Performance Indicators (Top 10 Atlantic teams):

2. IUP
    3. West Liberty
    23. Virginia State
    28. Mercyhurst
    30. West Chester
    50. Shippensburg
    57. (tie) Slippery Rock
    57. (tie) Notre Dame (note: ND had head-to-head over SRU)
    61. East Stroudsburg
    63. Fairmont State

Default Re: Atlantic Region

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Updated Performance Indicators (Top 10 Atlantic teams):

2. IUP
    3. West Liberty
    23. Virginia State
    28. Mercyhurst
    30. West Chester
    50. Shippensburg
    57. (tie) Slippery Rock
    57. (tie) Notre Dame (note: ND had head-to-head over SRU)
    61. East Stroudsburg
    63. Fairmont State
    Teams like FSU and ESU are rapidly becoming some of the biggest VSU fans out there. If VSU can just stave off the seemingly inevitable CIAA tourney upset, they still have an outside chance.

But in truth, the PI rankings right now have WLU & ND (by a razor thin margin) as the reps from the MEC. But, WLU hasn't always taken care of business in the MEC tourney either. It's just that the winner (whether it was FSU or WJU in the past) was already planning to be in the dance. This year, if a FSU, Concord, or Charleston manages to pull the tourney upset, they'll be stealing a bid. In the past, it was possible to count on the MEC & PSAC tourney victors to be in the "already in" category, which made the CIAA madness the only wild card to watch out for. But this year, the MEC might be ripe to steal a bid if WLU doesn't take care of business.

3. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    Teams like FSU and ESU are rapidly becoming some of the biggest VSU fans out there. If VSU can just stave off the seemingly inevitable CIAA tourney upset, they still have an outside chance.

But in truth, the PI rankings right now have WLU & ND (by a razor thin margin) as the reps from the MEC. But, WLU hasn't always taken care of business in the MEC tourney either. It's just that the winner (whether it was FSU or WJU in the past) was already planning to be in the dance. This year, if a FSU, Concord, or Charleston manages to pull the tourney upset, they'll be stealing a bid. In the past, it was possible to count on the MEC & PSAC tourney victors to be in the "already in" category, which made the CIAA madness the only wild card to watch out for. But this year, the MEC might be ripe to steal a bid if WLU doesn't take care of business.

With all three conferences down to 5-7 regular season games, there's only so many legitimate (if any) chances left for some of the bubble teams to actually lose.

Bubble teams' remaining regular season schedules:

Fairmont: Wise, Concord, @ND, @Charleston, @WV-State, WVW, Shepherd ------------------ pretty tough path to end season .. might have two losses in there

ND: @Glenville, @WVW, Concord, Wise, @WL, @Urbana ---------------------> Projecting a loss at WL

East Stroudsburg: @Lock Haven, Bloomsburg, @WCU, Kutztown, @Millersville ------------------> Likely a 4-1 finish

Shippensburg: Millersville, Lock Haven, @Mansfield, West Chester, @Bloomsburg ------------- Likely a 4-1 finish

Slippery Rock: MUST beat Mercyhurst Wednesday to stay alive

I'd say as of today Fairmont State has the hardest path remaining. Not to say any of these teams don't catch fire in the conference tournaments but just looking at the regular season slate and the Falcons have their work cut out. There's always the chance West Chester loses to both Ship and ESU. That REALLY changes things.

West Liberty has Notre Dame (at WL) but should cruise other than that. IUP will be double digit favorites in every remaining game. Mercyhurst gets past Slippery Rock they will run the table, too.

The CIAA has no current 'bubble' teams but has a slew of solid 9-10 loss teams. That conference tournament is quite a showcase and its on a neutral court. IUP will likely host the PSAC's and WL might as well have a home game (Wheeling).

4. Default Re: Atlantic Region

NABC Poll

2. West Liberty
    3. IUP
    4. Nova Southeastern
    23. Virginia State
    25. Francis Marion

Old Gary cracked the Top 25. Good for him.

West Chester receiving votes.

5. Default Re: Atlantic Region

First (official) Regional Rankings come out today.

I thought the initial rankings didn’t come out until next Wednesday?

Amir Hinton transferred from Lock Haven to Shaw, and although he leads the nation in scoring, his team is terrible...Thoughts?!

8. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
    Maybe it is next Wednesday. I was told today but it could have been in error.

Maybe it is next Wednesday. I was told today but it could have been in error.
    The Top 25 press release said regional rankings start next Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
    IUP next season...

It's definitely next Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorVoice View Post
    Amir Hinton transferred from Lock Haven to Shaw, and although he leads the nation in scoring, his team is terrible...Thoughts?!
    Of course, Shaw still beat ESU.

13. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Bigger question is where will he be next year?

As for Shaw, ... yeah, they really tanked after a solid start.

I think often times you have to look a little further in to the stats. Yes, he's the leading scorer in the country. But, like Anthony Lee at Kutztown, he takes a TON of shots. At Shaw, Hinton has taken 414 shots. The next closest person on his team is 191. He's also played 880 minutes in 23 games (38.26 mpg).

I look at Lee and Hinton as great players on very average teams. Both have very little supporting cast and get free reign to launch all 40 minutes.

Put either on a more balanced team and I don't think you'd see the massive scoring averages. Had Hinton landed at IUP this past off-season, which was highly rumored up until mid-August, I'd guess he'd be more in the 15-17 ppg range.

He reminds me to a 'T' of an old IUP player from the late 90s (Rodney Horton). Very similar.

Don't rule out him being back in the PSAC next year. Many believe Lock Haven was very fickle with his transfer and blocked any PSAC teams. This off-season he'd have free reign. We know Lombardi has been enthralled with him for years now.

14. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Some mild movement since the last update 5 days ago. Millersville and Virginia Union both picked up their 10th loss ... falling off the list. Slippery Rock picked up its third win against teams who will be regionally ranked (Mercy, IUP, WCU) - thus bumping them back up to the mid-tier. The CIAA has now just 2 of 13 teams with single digit losses. The MEC has a full slate tonight although it isn't likely any teams listed below lose.

Contenders

IUP (15-2, 22-2)
    West Liberty (15-1, 19-2)
    Virginia State (13-1, 21-4)
    Mercyhurst (11-5, 16-5)
    West Chester (15-2, 19-5)

BUBBLE

East Stroudsburg (13-3, 16-6)
    Shippensburg (12-4, 18-6)
    Notre Dame (12-4, 16-6)
    Fairmont State (13-3, 16-6)
    Slippery Rock (14-3, 17-7)

LIFE SUPPORT

Charleston (10-6, 15-7)
    Livingstone (8-6, 15-8)
    Concord (9-7, 14-8)

My personal prediction as of today:

1. IUP
    2. West Liberty
    3. Virginia State
    4. West Chester
    5. Mercyhurst
    6. East Stroudsburg or Shippensburg ---------> this will get settled on the court next week
    7. Notre Dame ----> Could be Fairmont State but they have a tough road ahead prior to the MEC Tournament
    8. Random CIAA Tournament Winner -------> likely Bowie State as they always seem to go crazy down in Charlotte

* ESU, Fairmont State and Notre Dame all have head-to-head wins over Slippery Rock

Some mild movement since the last update 5 days ago. Millersville and Virginia Union both picked up their 10th loss ... falling off the list. Slippery Rock picked up its third win against teams who will be regionally ranked (Mercy, IUP, WCU) - thus bumping them back up to the mid-tier. The CIAA has now just 2 of 13 teams with single digit losses. The MEC has a full slate tonight although it isn't likely any teams listed below lose.

Contenders

IUP (15-2, 22-2)
    West Liberty (15-1, 19-2)
    Virginia State (13-1, 21-4)
    Mercyhurst (11-5, 16-5)
    West Chester (15-2, 19-5)

BUBBLE

East Stroudsburg (13-3, 16-6)
    Shippensburg (12-4, 18-6)
    Notre Dame (12-4, 16-6)
    Fairmont State (13-3, 16-6)
    Slippery Rock (14-3, 17-7)

LIFE SUPPORT

Charleston (10-6, 15-7)
    Livingstone (8-6, 15-8)
    Concord (9-7, 14-8)

My personal prediction as of today:

1. IUP
    2. West Liberty
    3. Virginia State
    4. West Chester
    5. Mercyhurst
    6. East Stroudsburg or Shippensburg ---------> this will get settled on the court next week
    7. Notre Dame ----> Could be Fairmont State but they have a tough road ahead prior to the MEC Tournament
    8. Random CIAA Tournament Winner -------> likely Bowie State as they always seem to go crazy down in Charlotte

* ESU, Fairmont State and Notre Dame all have head-to-head wins over Slippery Rock
    If VSU wins the CIAA then who is your prediction for the 8 seed?

16. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    If VSU wins the CIAA then who is your prediction for the 8 seed?
    LOL ... I thought about your question. I have no idea. That's too tough to answer today.

Imagine if West Chester goes 0-2 against Ship and ESU, and Notre Dame beats West Liberty. Then it's a full-blown circus.

History has shown, too, the committee values how a team finishes. Could SRU with one loss more than the others but three very big wins catapult somebody? Those head-to-head's may haunt SRU, though.

Does Fairmont have a strong enough resume?

I'd say only the Top 3 are fully safe as of today. I'd say Mercyhurst is 'safer' than West Chester at this point just based on the remaining schedule.

Glad I only get to babble about it and not make the decision. Some real good teams aren't going dancing.

Bigger question is where will he be next year?

As for Shaw, ... yeah, they really tanked after a solid start.

I think often times you have to look a little further in to the stats. Yes, he's the leading scorer in the country. But, like Anthony Lee at Kutztown, he takes a TON of shots. At Shaw, Hinton has taken 414 shots. The next closest person on his team is 191. He's also played 880 minutes in 23 games (38.26 mpg).

I look at Lee and Hinton as great players on very average teams. Both have very little supporting cast and get free reign to launch all 40 minutes.

Put either on a more balanced team and I don't think you'd see the massive scoring averages. Had Hinton landed at IUP this past off-season, which was highly rumored up until mid-August, I'd guess he'd be more in the 15-17 ppg range.

He reminds me to a 'T' of an old IUP player from the late 90s (Rodney Horton). Very similar.

Don't rule out him being back in the PSAC next year. Many believe Lock Haven was very fickle with his transfer and blocked any PSAC teams. This off-season he'd have free reign. We know Lombardi has been enthralled with him for years now.
    Unless hes a Grad transfer, Hinton would only have free reign if Shaw doesn't put restrictions on his transfer. Of course thats assuming he actually wants to transfer. Dont think there is any indication he wants to leave beyond idle message board speculation..

18. Default Re: Atlantic Region

I only saw him once when he played VSU. To me he is overrated. If you are taking the majority of the shots for your teams you should fall into 20 points. It was not like he was James Harden against us.

19. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Hinton fires all night but he is shooting 50% FG for the season on 440-some attempts. That's the impressive part. Add to it teams know what is coming. They don't have much else.

Hinton fires all night but he is shooting 50% FG for the season on 440-some attempts. That's the impressive part. Add to it teams know what is coming. They don't have much else.
    Which is much the way I feel about Anthony Lee. 410 shots in 24 games, but 52 percent from the floor, 42 from outside the arc. When he gets a look from the perimeter, you expect it to go in.