Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Region

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Atlantic Region

ESU 91, Ship 87, and I don't think anybody there is going to ask for their money back.

Raiders led by 11 in the first half, Warriors cut it to two by the half. East Strouds then opened an 80-59 lead with 8:50 remaining before Ship took its turn. 24-2 run, Raiders go up 83-82 with 2:06 left. But ESU made all the late plays, especially the 6-10 freshman, Ryan Smith. He finished with 28, 9-for-12 from the floor and 9-for-12 from the line.

Kellem had 25 (14 in the first nine minutes), Biss 23. But John Castello had only four, 1-for-7 from the floor.

2. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Some major movement in the past couple days. Chowan has hit S.O.S. status with two losses this week. Slippery Rock's NCAA hopes likely went up in smoke last night. In theory only two of the four 'Bubble' teams can make it. Picking which two -- right now -- isn't easy.

Lot of head-to-head meetings left among the teams on the below list ... this is just a snap shot on FEB. 7. But, time is running out.

The MEC has a full schedule tonight but it's pretty bland ... 'doubtful' of any upsets.

Contenders

IUP (13-2, 20-2)
    West Liberty (13-1, 17-2)
    Virginia State (12-0, 20-3)
    Mercyhurst (11-4, 16-4)
    Fairmont State (12-2, 15-5)
    West Chester (13-2, 17-5)

BUBBLE

East Stroudsburg (11-3, 14-6)
    Shippensburg (11-4, 17-6)
    Concord (9-5, 14-6)
    Notre Dame (10-4, 14-6)

LIFE SUPPORT

Slippery Rock (11-3, 15-7)
    Charleston (8-6, 13-7)
    Livingstone (7-5, 14-7)
    UPJ (8-7, 13-9)
    Millersville (9-6, 13-9)
    Chowan (5-5, 12-9)
    Virginia Union (9-3, 13-9)

Going to come down to the tournament, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Going to come down to the tournament, I believe.

The big problem that all of those teams clustered in the same category with East Stroud and Ship are faced with is that their bid is going to get stolen.

The team that wins the CIAA, who won’t be Virginia State, will steal a bid from from one of them.

We say it every year that once you get in that 6-8 loss range you get into a tight spot. Ship’s loss to Lock Haven may end up being their ticket home. They are probably in a decent spot if they won that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Big upset down in WV

Wheeling Jesuit wins at Concord.

Huge blow for Concord (loss 7 and to sub. 500). Good news for Ship and ESU.

WJ entered the game 3-17

Great win for WJ and proves my point on Concord. Conc is a mid tier MEC team and not a top tier. They can play very well at times but are equally likely to play poorly. Yet another example of the MEC eating their own.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Great win for WJ and proves my point on Concord. Conc is a mid tier MEC team and not a top tier. They can play very well at times but are equally likely to play poorly. Yet another example of the MEC eating their own.
    It's definitely true that those of us who follow WLU closely often see the BEST games these MEC teams can play. And Wise's performance last night is yet another example. They played out of their minds (looking much stronger than a 4-11 team last night). Every team in the league gets up for a game against WLU. I'm sure the same is true for IUP in the PSAC West. But what that probably leads to is WLU followers over-valuing the middling MEC teams because we always see them at their best. If we took the time to watch a random Glenville vs. WV State game (though I'm not sure why anyone would want to), I bet those teams would look a little different to us. So, yes, your point is a good one, Boat. But that doesn't make me fear going into Athens tomorrow to face an angry den of Mountain Lions any less!

8. Default Re: Atlantic Region

UPDATED with last night's results. As IUP24 said, the most dangerous spot you can be in is that 6-8 hole ... that's when a 15-15 CIAA team will crush your dreams in a few weeks.

Contenders

IUP (13-2, 20-2)
    West Liberty (14-1, 18-2)
    Virginia State (12-0, 20-3)
    Mercyhurst (11-4, 16-4)
    Fairmont State (13-2, 16-5)
    West Chester (13-2, 17-5)

BUBBLE

East Stroudsburg (11-3, 14-6)
    Notre Dame (11-4, 15-6)

LIFE SUPPORT

Slippery Rock (11-3, 15-7)
    Concord (9-6, 14-7)
    Charleston (9-6, 14-7)
    Livingstone (7-5, 14-7)
    UPJ (8-7, 13-9)
    Millersville (9-6, 13-9)
    Chowan (5-5, 12-9)
    Virginia Union (9-3, 13-9)

9. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Of note, after last night Bellarmine has now lost two straight. Appears their star has missed both games but nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    It's definitely true that those of us who follow WLU closely often see the BEST games these MEC teams can play. And Wise's performance last night is yet another example. They played out of their minds (looking much stronger than a 4-11 team last night). Every team in the league gets up for a game against WLU. I'm sure the same is true for IUP in the PSAC West. But what that probably leads to is WLU followers over-valuing the middling MEC teams because we always see them at their best. If we took the time to watch a random Glenville vs. WV State game (though I'm not sure why anyone would want to), I bet those teams would look a little different to us. So, yes, your point is a good one, Boat. But that doesn't make me fear going into Athens tomorrow to face an angry den of Mountain Lions any less!
    Yea...EVERYONE get's up for WLU because they are always good. Hard to find another team in SR1 that doesn't have the occasional down year but WLU is as constant as the Northern Star. I certainly wouldn't say that WLU fears anyone (their history says they don't). But when teams see their games against WLU as their only chance to validate themselves, they can play WAY over their ability which always makes them dangerous. Good news is that even though teams play way over their head when they play WLU, even that level is almost never enough to actually beat us. BUUUTTT...Every now and then, WLU plays bad and the other team plays out of their mind and WLU loses by two points in double overtime!!

11. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Yea...EVERYONE get's up for WLU because they are always good. Hard to find another team in SR1 that doesn't have the occasional down year but WLU is as constant as the Northern Star. I certainly wouldn't say that WLU fears anyone (their history says they don't). But when teams see their games against WLU as their only chance to validate themselves, they can play WAY over their ability which always makes them dangerous. Good news is that even though teams play way over their head when they play WLU, even that level is almost never enough to actually beat us. BUUUTTT...Every now and then, WLU plays bad and the other team plays out of their mind and WLU loses by two points in double overtime!!
    'Us' ... you on the team now? Lol.

But, yeah, IUP has been consistently strong for the past 30-40 years. But, neither can win a title for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    'Us' ... you on the team now? Lol.

But, yeah, IUP has been consistently strong for the past 30-40 years. But, neither can win a title for whatever reason.
    WOW! Havent missed the NCAA playoffs in since 1978. THAT'S impressive!

13. Default Re: Atlantic Region

We will have some major activity by tonight in the Atlantic race.

Fairmont at Notre Dame

West Libery at Concord

ND and Concord are in must-win mode. A Notre Dame loss will put them in that flooded 7-loss group - and behind Ship and East Stroudsburg.

Concord is already there and really needs a signature win on its resume to keep any NCAA hopes alive. Concord has a history of being a pest to WL down there. Big game for the Hilltoppers to stay in that race for the top seed.

A Fairmont win likely keeps them locked in to the 5-hole - one spot below Mercyhurst.

Kutztown has the ability to upset West Chester today but it's not likely.

Many see Seton Hill beating Slippery Rock today in Greensburg ... which would all but put the final nail in the SRU coffin.

Virginia State travels to rival Virginia Union. VUU has played well of late. Strange things happen in rivalry games. Never know.

14. Default Re: Atlantic Region

ND takes down Fairmont.

WL beats Concord, 110-106.

IUP handles Gannon.

Big news: Virginia Union upsets Virginia State

ND takes down Fairmont.

IUP handles Gannon.

That is big news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Hot off the press:

* Virginia State drops out of the hosting race
    * Concord near death
    * Fairmont State drops in to the now-crowded 'Bubble' category
    * Notre Dame gets a huge SOS boost

Contenders

IUP (14-2, 21-2)
    West Liberty (15-1, 19-2)
    Virginia State (12-1, 20-4)
    Mercyhurst (11-4, 16-4)
    West Chester (14-2, 18-5)

BUBBLE

East Stroudsburg (12-3, 15-6)
    Notre Dame (12-4, 16-6)
    Fairmont State (13-3, 16-6)

LIFE SUPPORT

Slippery Rock (12-3, 16-7)
    Charleston (10-6, 15-7)
    Livingstone (8-5, 15-7)
    Concord (9-7, 14-8)
    Millersville (9-6, 14-9)
    Virginia Union (10-3, 15-9)

17. Default Re: Atlantic Region

For anybody keeping up with the national scene ... Bellarmine started the week 18-0 and lost 3 games this week.

Their top player is out but that's a rough week.

Hot off the press:

* Virginia State drops out of the hosting race
    * Concord near death
    * Fairmont State drops in to the now-crowded 'Bubble' category
    * Notre Dame gets a huge SOS boost

Contenders

IUP (14-2, 21-2)
    West Liberty (15-1, 19-2)
    Virginia State (12-1, 20-4)
    Mercyhurst (11-4, 16-4)
    West Chester (14-2, 18-5)

BUBBLE

East Stroudsburg (12-3, 15-6)
    Notre Dame (12-4, 16-6)
    Fairmont State (13-3, 16-6)

LIFE SUPPORT

Slippery Rock (12-3, 16-7)
    Charleston (10-6, 15-7)
    Livingstone (8-5, 15-7)
    Concord (9-7, 14-8)
    Millersville (9-6, 14-9)
    Virginia Union (10-3, 15-9)
    For what it's worth, the new PI rankings have the list in roughly the order you do here, IUPbig. PI likes Ship just a bit more than your order, but you match up pretty well otherwise. Amazing to think that teams like Fairmont, ESU, SRU, and Concord--with the raw talent they can boast--could be in line to miss the tourney, but you've accurately placed them right where they belong (on the bubble or worse). Either these are serious underperformances from those teams, or the region is just THAT strong that even really talented teams can't crack the top 8. Whoever emerges from this Region to advance to the Elite 8 should be more than battle tested!

19. Default Re: Atlantic Region

Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    For what it's worth, the new PI rankings have the list in roughly the order you do here, IUPbig. PI likes Ship just a bit more than your order, but you match up pretty well otherwise. Amazing to think that teams like Fairmont, ESU, SRU, and Concord--with the raw talent they can boast--could be in line to miss the tourney, but you've accurately placed them right where they belong (on the bubble or worse). Either these are serious underperformances from those teams, or the region is just THAT strong that even really talented teams can't crack the top 8. Whoever emerges from this Region to advance to the Elite 8 should be more than battle tested!
    Concord and Slippery Rock are very similar but in different ways. Catch Concord on the wrong night and they could beat anybody. Get sucked in to a street fight with SRU and they could beat anybody.

Problem is those nights are far and few between. Concord has no post players. SRU can't play fast.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-11-2019 at 04:54 AM.

ND takes down Fairmont.

IUP handles Gannon.

Trust me, it's not considered an "upset" in Richmond.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014