Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NWMSU

Default Re: NWMSU

I just opened the gyratestats tweet. That is an amazing statistic. I was struck with how efficient NWMS was offensively when we(Washburn) played you guys. Your shooting percentage, your ball movement, along with you low turnovers are your staples. I think you are towards the bottom in rebounding but a lot of that is because you shoot so well. You don't have as many chances for offensive rebounds. This year's NW team is has a very unique style. It is quite a bit different than the Pitts and Ndow lead teams. Those teams were good on the block and strong inside but still played with a lot of efficiency. Great statistical look at basketball and very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I just opened the gyratestats tweet. That is an amazing statistic. I was struck with how efficient NWMS was offensively when we(Washburn) played you guys. Your shooting percentage, your ball movement, along with you low turnovers are your staples. I think you are towards the bottom in rebounding but a lot of that is because you shoot so well. You don't have as many chances for offensive rebounds. This year's NW team is has a very unique style. It is quite a bit different than the Pitts and Ndow lead teams. Those teams were good on the block and strong inside but still played with a lot of efficiency. Great statistical look at basketball and very interesting stuff.
    I think an additional difference is that Pitts dominated the ball for 4 years. He would dribble until there were 10 or so seconds on the shot clock and then go to work creating his shot or pulling defenders and creating kick outs. Hudgins is not nearly ball dominant and there is much more passing, cutting, etc. While Pitts was difficult to defend as an individual, I think this team is tougher to defend because of the ball movement, cutting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    I think an additional difference is that Pitts dominated the ball for 4 years. He would dribble until there were 10 or so seconds on the shot clock and then go to work creating his shot or pulling defenders and creating kick outs. Hudgins is not nearly ball dominant and there is much more passing, cutting, etc. While Pitts was difficult to defend as an individual, I think this team is tougher to defend because of the ball movement, cutting, etc.
    Agreed. Probably an overall better perimeter shooting team this year compared to the years prior. Last year's team shot it very well from the perimeter too but I would have to give this year's team the edge from the perimeter. Hudgins dribbles it alot but you are right not as much as Pitts. He still runs a lot of pick and rolls and does some similar things to what Pitts did but the ball movement and finding the open shooter is a strength of this year's team.

+all 5 starters can shoot the three. Last year, it was 4 of the 5 starters as well as the year before. The other Freshman (Bernard) is really starting to come along and get accustomed to the collegiate level of play. Fun to watch. As everyone knows, NW loves the 1/2 court game and then play defense on the other end. Of course lots of basketball to play at this point and some tough games coming up the next 2 weeks. #oabaab
    Last edited by Thepeman; 01-29-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    Agreed. Probably an overall better perimeter shooting team this year compared to the years prior. Last year's team shot it very well from the perimeter too but I would have to give this year's team the edge from the perimeter. Hudgins dribbles it alot but you are right not as much as Pitts. He still runs a lot of pick and rolls and does some similar things to what Pitts did but the ball movement and finding the open shooter is a strength of this year's team.
    I think the spacing, if not better, is at least more effective than it has been in past years. As much as Dougherty improved over his time here and as effective he became, not having a true post player has kind of become a blessing on the offensive end. Pitts was amazing, but the pick and roll with Dougherty was all about Pitts... With these other guys you've got pick and rolls, and probably more importantly thus far, pick and pops. I imagine the pick setter has cues that he reads and has the option to roll or to pop, but how many times has Withus had an open 3 out top off of this action? Hawkins and Welty too. If the defense respects the pop too much, Trevor or Diego have both proven they're more than capable of going to the rim and with the spacing, there is no one in there clogging up the lane. If the help comes, the spacing is there for shooters on kick outs... these young guards are unselfish and make good decisions. They don't force a lot, if it's not there the first time, they pull it out and do it again... there's no panic to get a shot up. I think it would be a nightmare to guard as long as they keep shooting it well. The gyratestats tweet was pretty cool... I had no idea it's been that good. It's kind of neat that they stumbled upon it, and not just a bunch of NW homers.

This week should show us a lot about how good Northwest really is... and thankfully, they're at home for both, although that didn't seem to bother Southern last year. Hopefully there is no such thing as a gyratestats jinx!

I don't see much advanced analytics breakdowns at the D2 level but this is impressive stuff for NW:
    https://twitter.com/gyratestats/stat...05136161824768

If anyone knows how to embed the tweets then feel free to share with the technologically-challenged such as myself.
    Finally got a chance to read this thread and it is truly mind numbing data as a fan of an opposing team. NW continues its tradition of slow paced Morey ball. McCollum is a real one.

7. Default Re: NWMSU

Northwest 57, Pitt 34 at the half. Somebody tell me that's the best half of Bearcats basketball you've seen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Northwest 57, Pitt 34 at the half. Somebody tell me that's the best half of Bearcats basketball you've seen this year.
    We had 3-4 turnovers. Need to clean that up.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    We had 3-4 turnovers. Need to clean that up.
    No question Coach is all over them on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Really not surprising considering the undisciplined brand of basketball Pitt St. displayed the first half.

11. Default Re: NWMSU

Pitt hitting on 54.5 percent from the field including 40% from 3 point range. And they trail by 34 with 10:58 to play.

92-58 Bearcats

Really hoping Southern uses the same defensive strategy against Witthus. Put your post on him, station him 3 ft inside the arc, watch Witthus nail 3s all game long.

Really hoping Southern uses the same defensive strategy against Witthus. Put your post on him, station him 3 ft inside the arc, watch Witthus nail 3s all game long.
    Not sure you can call what Pitt St. is doing on defense any type of strategy...sheesh. I think I could put 40 on them at my age.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Not sure you can call what Pitt St. is doing on defense any type of strategy...sheesh. I think I could put 40 on them at my age.
    Very true! I don't know about 40, maybe 20 ;)

Seriously, does Pitt know what defense consists of? Our first half d was very good, 2nd half got a bit sloppy, but when you are up 23 at the half, I guess that is to be expected. Good win, on to MOSO.

Very true! I don't know about 40, maybe 20 ;)
    When you add 40 and 20 you get his age!

Do any Bearcat fans know why #3 didn't play in the 2nd half? I noticed he played about 3 minutes at the close of the 1st half. Guessing he did something to get in Coach Macs doghouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    Do any Bearcat fans know why #3 didn't play in the 2nd half? I noticed he played about 3 minutes at the close of the 1st half. Guessing he did something to get in Coach Macs doghouse.
    I really think they just forgot about him. Don’t think he did anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    I really think they just forgot about him. Don’t think he did anything wrong.
    Xav is an ‘in betweener’ as he’s usually the 2nd player off the bench after Kirk when game is still in doubt but he also plays point with the bench players in blowouts.

Good win by NW today over MSSU 82-62.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast