Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NWMSU

Default Re: NWMSU

Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I agree I think you guys are going to have a very good season but I think you guys will feel the departure of all of those good seniors as we get into the grind of conference season. I think just going on the road will be tougher because of not being so senior-laden and experienced as last year's squad.
    You may be right about feeling the impact of graduation, but right now I’m not seeing it. Hudgins has stepped in admirably for Pitts. Not gonna say he is equal to JP, but he is playing very well right now. Kurth was good defensively, but he was not real strong offensively. I’d say Finley/Bernard minutes have been more productive than Kurth’s. Bernard needs to take better care of the ball at times, but he is playing very well for a true frosh.

I thought Ndow would be hard to replace, but Ryan Hawkins is playing lights out. If it wasn’t for Martin’s hot start for MOSO, I’d say he would be a front runner for MVP. Shoots it well from everywhere, plays very good D and leads the league in rebounding. Dropped 31 tonight.

Brett Dougherty is one guy we really don’t have a true replacement for; we kind of play post by committee. Offensively we really don’t rely on a 5, defensively we miss his size and toughness. Teams with a good post player might expose us; but on the flip side, that post player is gonna have to play peremiter D on Welty, Hawkins or Witthus.

NW will drop some games, no doubt about it. But as of now, I like how they are playing; at a level just below MOSO........

2. Default Re: NWMSU

A level above MOSO, who got clubbed tonight at Lindenwood (literally and figuratively). More than three times players left the court with bloody faces for Southern. Lindenwood out physical-ed us tonight, pulled away and Southern sputtered to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    You may be right about feeling the impact of graduation, but right now I’m not seeing it. Hudgins has stepped in admirably for Pitts. Not gonna say he is equal to JP, but he is playing very well right now. Kurth was good defensively, but he was not real strong offensively. I’d say Finley/Bernard minutes have been more productive than Kurth’s. Bernard needs to take better care of the ball at times, but he is playing very well for a true frosh.

I thought Ndow would be hard to replace, but Ryan Hawkins is playing lights out. If it wasn’t for Martin’s hot start for MOSO, I’d say he would be a front runner for MVP. Shoots it well from everywhere, plays very good D and leads the league in rebounding. Dropped 31 tonight.

Brett Dougherty is one guy we really don’t have a true replacement for; we kind of play post by committee. Offensively we really don’t rely on a 5, defensively we miss his size and toughness. Teams with a good post player might expose us; but on the flip side, that post player is gonna have to play peremiter D on Welty, Hawkins or Witthus.

NW will drop some games, no doubt about it. But as of now, I like how they are playing; at a level just below MOSO........
    I followed some of the game on live stats. I agree with you. You guys seem to be playing as well or even better than last years team. Shows how much I know. Mo Southern and Pitt lost tonight. There may be more parity than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    A level above MOSO, who got clubbed tonight at Lindenwood (literally and figuratively). More than three times players left the court with bloody faces for Southern. Lindenwood out physical-ed us tonight, pulled away and Southern sputtered to the end.
    I watched the last 10 minutes. Lots of physical play and the Wood May have benefitted from some home cooking. I didn’t see any of Martins four fouls, but Wood took it rightbat him when he came back in.

NW will not out physical anybody. Don’t have the bodies to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Btech#3 View Post
    I followed some of the game on live stats. I agree with you. You guys seem to be playing as well or even better than last years team. Shows how much I know. Mo Southern and Pitt lost tonight. There may be more parity than we think.
    Not gonna shoot like that night in and night out, but with a point guard who can get to the rim, it makes it tough to pick your poison.

As long as we take care of the Ball and play solid D, we may be able to pull out some wins on off shooting nights.

I agree. You guys are a heck of an offensive ball club. 19 threes tonight. Wow

Hawk had 31 pts tonite...6-6 FT 10-13 FG 5-7 on 3’s plus 4 rebounds 5 steals and a block as NW men win 105-70. NW hit 19 treys(Welty was 4-4 on treys)
    Austin gets his 1st MIAA win 62-59 on a trey with about 10 sec left. Austin probably aged about 10 yrs tonite as the game had 24 ties and 10 lead changes. Riverhawks have a fantastic Fieldhouse.
    On to UCO Friday afternoon after it warms up. So glad we played NSU tonight rather that UCO as all we have here is rain and it looks like it’s really bad in OKC/Edmond area.

Also Witthus is having a great season. It's crazy that Hudgins has completely replaced Pitts' production thus far. Ben's recruiting and development of players has been incredible. Low on numbers this year though but quality over quantity. I know his expectations aren't for everybody but the style of play should make any basketball nut want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Also Witthus is having a great season. It's crazy that Hudgins has completely replaced Pitts' production thus far. Ben's recruiting and development of players has been incredible. Low on numbers this year though but quality over quantity. I know his expectations aren't for everybody but the style of play should make any basketball nut want to go there.
    Agreed. And as a fan, they're fun to watch just because of how unselfishly well they play together. Witthus only took 3 shots last night!

They are a great perimeter shooting team as well which spreads the floor and opens up the driving lanes. Coach McCollum has a proven system and he recruits the guys that fit well into that system. They are definitely the front-runner after 3 conference games. I know we have a long way to go but they are clearly the favorite early.

I think that's an accurate assessment of the season so far and the season remaining.
    Last edited by CatFan88; 01-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Hawk is fighting a bout with food poisoning and is far from 100%

2-0 trip to Oklahoma. Nice win today when they didn't play their best.

NW 78-67 over UCO. Joey was a beast today....34 pts. Hawk managed to make 18 pts even with food poisoning.

NW women won 51-47 4-0 OK road trip for the teams

Very good road trip for the Bearcats. They quit shooting so many treys in the second half and really worked the ball into the paint. We needed that kind of game and on the road even better to come out with the win. Just watched the last 4 min. of MOSO- Lincoln. Not surprising to me at all. Lincoln is a very good team.

When is the last time NW went 4-0 for men's and women's on a 2 game conference road trip?

Good weekend. Bearcats go 2-0 in Oklahoma and the Cyclones knock off the Jayhawks.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    When is the last time NW went 4-0 for men's and women's on a 2 game conference road trip?
    I read the game story and it said the last back to back road conference wins for the women was their final 4 season of 2010-2011. That was the last time both men and women went 2-0 on back to back road conference games. February 2011 at Lincoln then Western.

With this Bearcat team only showing 11 guys on their roster could someone tell me the status of Fr. Luke Waters recruited out of Olathe NW? Same with Dray Starzl. Puzzled by the low roster number, and you throw in potential injuries during the long haul of the season . . . and food poisoning issues . . . a bit scary for this team putting so few in uniform on game day.

So where did Hawkins go to get his food poisoning? Bit of caution. Gotta be a bit more cautious when dressing out in Bearcat GREEN on the road when going out to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by ZubCat81 View Post
    With this Bearcat team only showing 11 guys on their roster could someone tell me the status of Fr. Luke Waters recruited out of Olathe NW? Same with Dray Starzl. Puzzled by the low roster number, and you throw in potential injuries during the long haul of the season . . . and food poisoning issues . . . a bit scary for this team putting so few in uniform on game day.

So where did Hawkins go to get his food poisoning? Bit of caution. Gotta be a bit more cautious when dressing out in Bearcat GREEN on the road when going out to eat.
    Waters is redshirting as most freshmen do in the program. Bernard would probably be playing either way but Rhodes would be redshirting also if they had more returners.

Pretty sure Starzl is dealing with an injury but I don't know to what extent.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast