Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruling on Ferris State

Default Ruling on Ferris State

So....looking like the GLIAC and the NCAA just turning a blind eye to the whole thing...

Default Re: Ruling on Ferris State

I was wondering what the ruling was? Surprised nothing has been said yet. Maybe they just got a warining?

Well, what's the incentive NOT to use ineligible players then?? Just site the "Ferris Rule", mention precedent has been set and keeping winning.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    So....looking like the GLIAC and the NCAA just turning a blind eye to the whole thing...
    No!!! They're just checking their eyelids for holes...

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    I was wondering what the ruling was? Surprised nothing has been said yet. Maybe they just got a warining?
    I haven't seen any official announcement from the GLIAC, so I have no idea what's going on. You'd think a determination would be made before the playoff announcements come out.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Try II View Post
    Well, what's the incentive NOT to use ineligible players then?? Just site the "Ferris Rule", mention precedent has been set and keeping winning.
    my hunch is that if this was anything other than a player who never played other than mop up duty in the 4th, they would be all over it

Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    my hunch is that if this was anything other than a player who never played other than mop up duty in the 4th, they would be all over it
    As long as that firewall between academics and athletics was not breached and the mistake was an honest clerical error they should be ok, but of course I'm not familiar with the rules.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    As long as that firewall between academics and athletics was not breached and the mistake was an honest clerical error they should be ok, but of course I'm not familiar with the rules.
    I can't resist. It wasn't a clerical error. Athlete was also informed from another school that he would have to sit a year. And there it no excuse for the football staff..i.e. head coach, not knowing the 444 transfer rule/issue.

We self reported an issue and lost our conference championship status (2015) for it. Rules are rules.
    Sprinkles are for winners!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    I can't resist. It wasn't a clerical error. Athlete was also informed from another school that he would have to sit a year. And there it no excuse for the football staff..i.e. head coach, not knowing the 444 transfer rule/issue.
    The report I read made it seem like an administrative error. I could see this being an honest mistake. The player was to have graduated but flunked a course. Admin was supposed to confirm but never did.

If it is an honest mistake any chance Ferris is not penalized?

For the uninitiated, what’s the story with this

12. Default Re: Ruling on Ferris State

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    For the uninitiated, what’s the story with this
    tl;dr FSU played an inelidgible player.

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    tl;dr FSU played an inelidgible player.
    I got that, where can I find some details

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    I got that, where can I find some details
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...er/1687406002/

The report I read made it seem like an administrative error. I could see this being an honest mistake. The player was to have graduated but flunked a course. Admin was supposed to confirm but never did.

No. Pueblo had a similar issue and forfeited all playoff games and took a nullification penalty which wiped out a conference championship. It doesn't matter if it's an administrative error, rules are rules.

My guess is Ferris will have to vacate its wins in which this player participated. It should happen sooner rather than later. Whether or not it will, or will even affect Ferris’s playoff positioning/eligibility, I don’t know...

If nothing happens, it’s a shame. Not because I have a desire to see Ferris punished, but because it means the rules aren’t really that important and other programs may start citing this as precendent when they get caught violating eligibility requirements.

It’s also amazing the GLIAC has taken so long to say anything about any of this; I think it’s yet another signal that the conference is collapsing from an administrative standpoint.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Huh? Nothing to do with graduation. That's a new one to most of us. Not sure where you got that take from. It had nothing to do with classes and graduating.. as far as I know. It had to do with this being his 2 transfer from four year school and the 444 rule comes into play. That requires a player to sit out a year when transferring that second time. From the timing of things... looking like a slap on the wrist may all that Ferris gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Huh? Nothing to do with graduation. That's a new one to most of us. Not sure where you got that take from. It had nothing to do with classes and graduating.. as far as I know. It had to do with this being his 2 transfer from four year school and the 444 rule comes into play. That requires a player to sit out a year when transferring that second time. From the timing of things... looking like a slap on the wrist may all that Ferris gets.
    I wasn't speaking to the facts of the case. It was an error in brevity, I meant to give an example of how this could happen.

It wasn't an honest mistake. The Ferris coach has a history of blatant cheating when it comes to issues like this. He is shady.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    It wasn't an honest mistake. The Ferris coach has a history of blatant cheating when it comes to issues like this. He is shady.
    Issue is with the compliance department. Not the coach. TA is not responsible for sending documentation to the NCAA. Whatever Ferris gets, they deal with it and move on. Stop all the belly aching and focus on MM and what GV needs to do to get to the 2nd round so we can meet again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast