Thread: d2 recruiting timeline

Contribute to D2

Default d2 recruiting timeline

Question for any recent players or parents who have gone through the process. Would you say most D2 schools wait until their season is over to get deep into recruiting? My son has been in contact with a few recently who all said that once the season is over they really get into evaluating and will make decisions in late December/January. He's done the spring games, camps, game day visit circuit and has keep his film up to date, emails, DM's, etc. Maybe I'm anxious but it seems with signing date being early February making decisions late December/early January is cutting it close. Or do they wait out the guys who are borderline D1 and get overlooked or slip down? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: d2 recruiting timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Small School Love View Post
    Question for any recent players or parents who have gone through the process. Would you say most D2 schools wait until their season is over to get deep into recruiting? My son has been in contact with a few recently who all said that once the season is over they really get into evaluating and will make decisions in late December/January. He's done the spring games, camps, game day visit circuit and has keep his film up to date, emails, DM's, etc. Maybe I'm anxious but it seems with signing date being early February making decisions late December/early January is cutting it close. Or do they wait out the guys who are borderline D1 and get overlooked or slip down? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last year there was no early signing period in D2 like there was in D1. I can't vouch for when the schools start really getting down to it but if I recall the last 2-3 years mid January is when you start to see kids Twitter feeds light up about their commitments. Good luck to you and your son!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    Last year there was no early signing period in D2 like there was in D1. I can't vouch for when the schools start really getting down to it but if I recall the last 2-3 years mid January is when you start to see kids Twitter feeds light up about their commitments. Good luck to you and your son!
    We have an ask the coach segment on The Kerwin Bell Show, I'll ask the question and who knows we may get you an answer.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...r_20180507.pdf
    Here’s the recruiting calendar this year.
    “During a contact period, a college coach may have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents.

During an evaluation period, a college coach may watch college-bound student-athletes compete, visit their high schools and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents. However, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents off the college’s campus during an evaluation period.

During a quiet period, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write or telephone college-bound student-athletes or their parents during this time.

During a dead period, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.”
    Last edited by twolfbenchwarmer; 11-09-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Small School Love View Post
    To answer your question yes it picks up and will get pretty hectic in January. D2s just don’t have the staff sizes or resources to heavy recruit in season. Plus the players they are targeting trickles down d1 to 1aa to d2. You aren’t getting the run around. Camp and game invites is a good sign. There’s nothing you can do to change this, just have a fun senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    To answer your question yes it picks up and will get pretty hectic in January. D2s just don’t have the staff sizes or resources to heavy recruit in season. Plus the players they are targeting trickles down d1 to 1aa to d2. You aren’t getting the run around. Camp and game invites is a good sign. There’s nothing you can do to change this, just have a fun senior year.
    Yep. This. Most D2 schools wait until after the season is done, because they can't really go on the road to travel much in-season due to the smaller staffs. The other problem is almost every kid is holding out to get a D1 offer, so D2 schools aren't able to narrow down their target lists until the D1's have pretty much locked down their own recruiting classes.