Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC-Ya Later Bowl

Contribute to D2

Default ABC-Ya Later Bowl

With neither team having a shot at the playoffs and both leaving the conference, I'm heading up to watch the ABC-YA LATER BOWL GAME between UVA-Wise and Shepherd.
    Going to miss all the great MEC competition and rivalries

Not a huge fan of the move to the PSAC -- Not sure if it would be possible because of scheduling, but I had mentioned to the Shepherd AD that it would be great if somehow/someway, Shepherd could play their homecoming game(s) against a MEC team each year - at least we'd get one win a year :)

Default Re: ABC-Ya Later Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by nova2wv View Post
    With neither team having a shot at the playoffs and both leaving the conference, I'm heading up to watch the ABC-YA LATER BOWL GAME between UVA-Wise and Shepherd.
    Going to miss all the great MEC competition and rivalries

Not a huge fan of the move to the PSAC -- Not sure if it would be possible because of scheduling, but I had mentioned to the Shepherd AD that it would be great if somehow/someway, Shepherd could play their homecoming game(s) against a MEC team each year - at least we'd get one win a year :)
    Have similar feelings about leaving the long time WV school rivalries in ALL the sports.

The one good thing about the move to Psac is the renewing of Shep/Ship Classic.

As far as having an easy HC, both the Falcons teams this year sure shows you that very well might not happen, besides what MEC team is going to want to schedule a team that has left the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Clydes 'N Rams View Post
    Have similar feelings about leaving the long time WV school rivalries in ALL the sports.

The one good thing about the move to Psac is the renewing of Shep/Ship Classic.

As far as having an easy HC, both the Falcons teams this year sure shows you that very well might not happen, besides what MEC team is going to want to schedule a team that has left the conference.
    With the MEC moving to 12 teams, that won't be possible unless other teams are added. But Shepherd doesn't play OOC now...why would they start in the PSAC??

4. Default Re: ABC-Ya Later Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    With the MEC moving to 12 teams, that won't be possible unless other teams are added. But Shepherd doesn't play OOC now...why would they start in the PSAC??
    Will likely be quite some time before Shepherd shows up on an MEC team's schedule in any sport. The bridges are still smoking...

Quote Originally Posted by timbertopper View Post
    Will likely be quite some time before Shepherd shows up on an MEC team's schedule in any sport. The bridges are still smoking...
    Maybe they could play D&E?? The team no one wants!!

Good to see D2 schools drumming up the corporate sponsorships
    Hillsdale ‘94

With 4:45 left in the 3rd Quarter, UVa-Wise leads Shepherd 14-10.

4:28 left in the game | UVA-Wise leads Shepherd 21-10

1:38 left in the game | UVA-Wise leads Shepherd 21-16

UVA-Wise pulls off the upset 21-16.

Thanks you all for the past several years in the MEC! I'm gonna miss it, but I'm excited for next year in the SAC and good luck to Shepherd for their move to the PSAC next year.
    Last edited by cavsfan94; 11-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Great win for Wise. Way to leave with a Mic drop!!

How did the "Freshman phenom" do today?
    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-10-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Great win for Wise. Way to leave with a Mic drop!!

How did the "Freshman phenom" do today?
    I find it inappropriate for a perennial loser to question his superiors, you are to do as your told and crawl back into your dark hole....it was nice dominating your pathetic arse...

Quote Originally Posted by RamPride View Post
    I find it inappropriate for a perennial loser to question his superiors, you are to do as your told and crawl back into your dark hole....it was nice dominating your pathetic arse...
    Hahaha...You so funny! Now get back to cleaning and stacking sholderpads and get off the MEC forum!!!

Hahaha...You so funny! Now get back to cleaning and stacking sholderpads and get off the MEC forum!!!
    There isn't a MEC forum anymore let alone a conference.....cant wait to see your posts as you follow your love affair with Shepherd next year, we know you cant help it sweetheart. I cant really blame you as who would want to follow that fully funded run in place program you have..

After Shepherd decided to leave, think I initiated maybe two comments about Shepherd (One was hoping Sheep finished 0-10 after their opening game defeat at the hands of NDC and I think one was the week leading up to the WLU v Sheep game). I did respond to several Sheep posters who made a comment to me or who asked me a question. CORRECTION: I did post that if Sheep is looking for OOC games with MEC teams, they could find some v D&E...guess that's THREE comments!

I am happy that Sheep football is going out as the #3 team in the MEC and that they closed their participation in the MEC with a home loss to another program leaving the MEC.

Meanwhile, Shepherd replacement Frostburg finished their last D3 season undefeated and will be starting their playoff run Saturday with a home game at Bobcat Stadium.

I wish we could have bantered back and forth during basketball season but Shepherd doesn't really have a basketball program sooooo, guess not. In my mind, Sheep has already left the building.

It was/is an embarrassing way to go out. In reviewing Shepherd's schedule for next year, I'm placing the over/under on wins at 6 and, I'm taking the under after watching yesterday. Also, the over/under on McCooks being the coach is 4 years - I'm taking the under as well.

It was/is an embarrassing way to go out. In reviewing Shepherd's schedule for next year, I'm placing the over/under on wins at 6 and, I'm taking the under after watching yesterday. Also, the over/under on McCooks being the coach is 4 years - I'm taking the under as well.
    You don't follow the program close enough if you were embarrassed about this season's finish. Just go back and look at the cluster of winning we've had over the last 15 years or so. It's a good couple recruiting classes... about 3-4 years of really solid finishes... and then a dud around .500 because we need to reload in recruiting. This season was always going to be one of those "duds."

Granted its a stronger conference we are moving to, so yea perhaps we need to dial back the expectations initially. But if you've been around the leadership in our AD and HC, we aren't going up there just to be part of a stronger conference. The idea is to continue to be successful and make a run at things like we always have. Look at the contributing players this year. QUITE a few underclassmen with freshman and sophmores all over especially on Defense.

Now i will say if they don't get stronger guys at DT and interior of the OL, then yes it might not be a smooth transition at first. Line play was the issue this year, and it was the reason we got upset in round 1 last year. Our defensive line is soft. No other way to put it. Our offensive line can't get tough yards when they need it either. That needs to change, in a hurry.

Was at the game Saturday & you have to give Wise credit, IMO they just wanted it more, to finish out the season & conference with a statement.
    The wind was a factor, & I know we are a pretty young team this year, but the interceptions, fumbles, dumb penalties were certainly not what you want in the last game of the season.

Totally agree on both lines needed to be strengthened & recruited better. As we well know, that's been Shepherd's & SR1's achilles heel when getting deep in the playoffs.

I said it at the beginning of the year after the 1st game and I'll say it again now -- McCooks needs to gain the respect of this team and after watching Sat. he doesn't have IT!!!!! In what should have been a statement win/building towards next year/motivation for the off-season or whatever you want to call it - the younger players are not hungry and don't have the discipline. Going to the PSAC will be an eye-opener and if we don't get some leadership, running ground attack, kicking, etc..... My over/under on McCooks will be 3 years. It will be a classic case of a great OC who goes to HC because they are next in line and put in their due -- The job should have gone to Kline!

I said it at the beginning of the year after the 1st game and I'll say it again now -- McCooks needs to gain the respect of this team and after watching Sat. he doesn't have IT!!!!! In what should have been a statement win/building towards next year/motivation for the off-season or whatever you want to call it - the younger players are not hungry and don't have the discipline. Going to the PSAC will be an eye-opener and if we don't get some leadership, running ground attack, kicking, etc..... My over/under on McCooks will be 3 years. It will be a classic case of a great OC who goes to HC because they are next in line and put in their due -- The job should have gone to Kline!
    It's a big offseason for Shepherd this year. The Lineman presently in this program are flat out not strong enough or tough enough. It will be a long year in the PSAC if they don't get it figured out up front. I have faith that they will get it figured out, but we'll see.

In McCooks defense sometimes the upperclassmen are the ones most resistant to any changes and you just need to let them go so that you can work on the younger guys (I think Kline and McCook are a good ying and yang for each other, I wanted Kline having played for him). Winter workouts hopefully will be demanding as it usually is, and the team will buy in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast