Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: D1

Contribute to D2

I think guys like Nate Oaks are more in line to take big jobs. Young and proven head coaches with a lot of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Wahab to Georgetown
    That's disappointing but not all that surprising I suppose. Georgetown is only like 20 minutes from his current location and his mommy wanted him to go there. But they have a ton of centers there. I think they recruited several and got an experienced transfer at center. I'm not sure why he would want to go there with so much competition and playing in a lesser conference. He would have started at Pitt from Day 1 and had all the work he could have wanted.

But keep in mind a lot can happen between the verbal commit and the actual signing. Who knows what any of these guys will do between now and then. Maybe that is why Capel is not overly concerned about early commits at this point? I have no idea on that. He knows that situations will change for these players when coaches start being fired and moving around here come March. That is how they got Xavier more or less as he wanted initially to go to Nebraska.

There is still a lot to happen!

-

3. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I think guys like Nate Oaks are more in line to take big jobs. Young and proven head coaches with a lot of success.

You can add the name of Nate Oats of Buffalo to that list as well. He will be a red hot commodity here in a month and a half. LOL.

-

4. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    You have to define “big job.” There’s less in college basketball than in football. And coaches, especially at his age, don’t move like they do in football.

What exists outside of North Carolina, Duke, and Syracuse that would come open in the immediate future? And I don’t think any of those three are in a rush to retire.

Jay Wright isn’t leaving Villanova. Calipari isn’t leaving Kentucky. Bill Self isn’t leaving Kansas.

You get outside those six schools, what other “big job” exists? UCLA sucks now, so I won’t even include them in the discussion. Pitt paid huge money to get Capel. He’s compensated incredibly well.

Pitt isn’t paying coaches bottom dollar anymore, and they’re including large buyouts in the agreement.

I agree all the way with this. Well-argued. I guess we don't know how many more years old guys like Williams and Coach K will go. But there is no real speculation at the moment that their retirements are pending.

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    You can add the name of Nate Oats of Buffalo to that list as well. He will be a red hot commodity here in a month and a half. LOL.

-

Autocorrect got me on that one lol

6. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Coach K’s tree has lots of branches. That said, if Capel has any degree of success here and Wojo stays on his current trajectory at Marquette my guess is it’s between those two when the job comes open at Duke.
    Unless Duke brass wants to go the whiny b itch route and take Bobby Hurley of ASU. LOL.

But he's building out there. They are starting to win conference games and he has a five-star recruit lined up for next year.

I'm actually a big Bobby Hurley fan. I'd like to see him take over at Duke someday. He would have the pedigree for it if that is how they want to play it.

-

7. Default Re: OT: D1

That's disappointing but not all that surprising I suppose. Georgetown is only like 20 minutes from his current location and his mommy wanted him to go there. But they have a ton of centers there. I think they recruited several and got an experienced transfer at center. I'm not sure why he would want to go there with so much competition and playing in a lesser conference. He would have started at Pitt from Day 1 and had all the work he could have wanted.

But keep in mind a lot can happen between the verbal commit and the actual signing. Who knows what any of these guys will do between now and then. Maybe that is why Capel is not overly concerned about early commits at this point? I have no idea on that. He knows that situations will change for these players when coaches start being fired and moving around here come March. That is how they got Xavier more or less as he wanted initially to go to Nebraska.

There is still a lot to happen!

-
    The chance to be coached by Patrick Ewing is probably pretty appealing for young big men.

Default Re: OT: D1

The Saturday night Pac 10 game with Bill Walton is almost must-see TV. He's just incredible to listen to for two hours.

9. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The Saturday night Pac 10 game with Bill Walton is almost must-see TV. He's just incredible to listen to for two hours.
    I always really liked PAC-12 hoops. Kind of a fun thing to behold.

Syracuse may be a middle of the pack ACC team---but look for them to make some noise come the NCAA March Madness Tourney. I really believe that.

Duke looking good!

I'll have some more updates on Pitt recruiting here soon. SG Gerald Drumgoole is a hot name at the moment. I believe that I mentioned him several weeks ago.

-

He is the worst. I always mute the tv or turn the channel if he is announcing

Quote Originally Posted by PSAC76 View Post
    He is the worst. I always mute the tv or turn the channel if he is announcing
    Each his own, I suppose. He cracks me up. It sounds like he's either high as a kite or having some acid flashback half the time. Maybe both.

I really miss Brent Musburger. He's my favorite of all-time. It's not a big game broadcast if it doesn't start with "You are looking live ..."

Each his own, I suppose. He cracks me up. It sounds like he's either high as a kite or having some acid flashback half the time. Maybe both.

I really miss Brent Musburger. He's my favorite of all-time. It's not a big game broadcast if it doesn't start with "You are looking live ..."

For the life of me, I don’t know how ESPN hasn’t put Dick Vitale on the shelf. My goodness is he awful these days.

Was waiting all day for this UVA vs NC game.

14. Default Re: OT: D1

Was waiting all day for this UVA vs NC game.
    I was happily watching it on one of the ESPN channels earlier this evening when I discovered that it was a NC-UVA game from 1995. I did think it odd that the Tar Heels had another Calabria in the fold. LOL.

-

15. Default Re: OT: D1

Some GREAT NEWS for Pitt recruiting just coming down the pike------standout 6-5 shooting guard Gerald Drumgoole has just committed to the Panthers! He'll certainly add some much needed pop and sizzle to the Pitt perimeter game next season. This is really a great get!

Next up for Pitt commits could be PF Karim Coulibaly or the Champagnie twins. Things are really getting exciting here!

-

16. Default Re: OT: D1

I thought that I would just give our readership a few tidbits on Gerald Drumgoole. This is a really fantastic commit for Jeff Capel and company to receive. The young man Drumgoole is really quite an interesting kid. I believe that he hails from upstate New York IIRC and he currently plays on the #1 high school team in the country---La Lumiere out of the state of Indiana. They play and beat some major competition out there.

Drumgoole is averaging 14 ppg, 5 rpg and 2 apg if I have the correct numbers. He shoots an absolutely blistering 50% from three point land. Pitt sure could use him.

He is the rare D-I basketball recruit who also was being recruited as a football player (as a tight end). A rather thick build for a high school guard.

He also has an engaging and fun personality that will likely endear him to many fans throughout the city and region (think JuJu Smith-Schuster of the Steelers).

He will turn 18 this July.

Some word filtering down that 6-8 PF Karim Coulibaly's commitment to Pitt is imminent and could happen at any time here. Stay tuned for that...

-

I was happily watching it on one of the ESPN channels earlier this evening when I discovered that it was a NC-UVA game from 1995. I did think it odd that the Tar Heels had another Calabria in the fold. LOL.

-

That is actually hilarious. I thought Rasheed Wallace would have given it away? LOL.

By the way, do you recall when Dante Calabria dropped about 50 on Marion Center in a PIAA game way back when?

I still think Cal should have hired him when he applied for the job 3 years ago.

18. Default Re: OT: D1

That is actually hilarious. I thought Rasheed Wallace would have given it away? LOL.

By the way, do you recall when Dante Calabria dropped about 50 on Marion Center in a PIAA game way back when?

I still think Cal should have hired him when he applied for the job 3 years ago.
    Yeah, I thought something seemed kind of off with it. LOL.

I don't recall Calabria toasting MC. I do remember Major Harris torching Indiana High back in '84 with the last second 70-yard bomb and Terrill Pryor playing at tiny West Shamokin. He must have wondered where the hell he was out there at ultra-rural NuMine.

Agree that he would have been great for Cal. Sometimes that branded name goes a long ways!

-

Yeah, I thought something seemed kind of off with it. LOL.

I don't recall Calabria toasting MC. I do remember Major Harris torching Indiana High back in '84 with the last second 70-yard bomb and Terrill Pryor playing at tiny West Shamokin. He must have wondered where the hell he was out there at ultra-rural NuMine.

Agree that he would have been great for Cal. Sometimes that branded name goes a long ways!

-

Back in the same era Valley High (New Kensington) had a completely loaded team -- headlined by future Duquesne star Tommy Pipkins.

Indiana High (I think accidentally) invited them to their yearly tip-off tournament. Recall IHS typically invites one of the lowly local schools to be the sacrificial lamb. I will never forget it. Valley had to play Marion Center the first night and put on a dunk show and then hammered IHS the next night. Needless to say they weren't invited back the following year.

20. Default Re: OT: D1

Back in the same era Valley High (New Kensington) had a completely loaded team -- headlined by future Duquesne star Tommy Pipkins.

Indiana High (I think accidentally) invited them to their yearly tip-off tournament. Recall IHS typically invites one of the lowly local schools to be the sacrificial lamb. I will never forget it. Valley had to play Marion Center the first night and put on a dunk show and then hammered IHS the next night. Needless to say they weren't invited back the following year.
    Interesting name there. I think that IUP had a black QB back in the late '60s or so named Tom Pipkins. I recall Matt B. telling us that. That must have been his boy.

-

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast