Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: D1

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Just a few tidbits from the world of D-I to get caught up on----

Looks like Kofi Cockburn has committed to Illinois. Damn and Double Damn!

Former #85 ranked recruit F Chase Johnson from the state of West Virginia and former Florida Gators player was visiting various schools recently after transferring from Florida. Pitt was one of them. I watched tape of him and was completely unimpressed. Thin and a slow white guy to boot. LOL. He apparently had a major problem with recurring concussions every time the wind blew. He would never help Pitt out I doubt. Thankfully he committed to Dayton. My guess is that he will be at IUP in a year or two.

I caught most of the Pitt-Duquesne ladies game a week or two ago. The Pitt gals are much improved under first year coach Lance White. Dukes coach Dan Burt was not a happy man after the game during the postgame interview. I never saw that sort of mood before from a coach this side of Hal McRae and Dennis Green. LOL.

Pitt took one on the chin against North Carolina last Saturday. But it was a great first ACC game in my opinion for the young players to see what conference play is all about and how tough it really is.

Pitt back in action this evening at the Pete against Louisville at 8PM.

-
    Come on, I was at the Pitt/UNC game. Pitt was totally out matched! Pitt is slower, can't defend and can't shoot!!! I don't care how young a team is, that group couldn't even make shots in warm ups. That team is way behind in the game of skill.

2. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Come on, I was at the Pitt/UNC game. Pitt was totally out matched! Pitt is slower, can't defend and can't shoot!!! I don't care how young a team is, that group couldn't even make shots in warm ups. That team is way behind in the game of skill.
    They are a long way from competing with UNC. Tonight might be a little more realistic barometer to see just where they stand. At the beginning of the year I thought they could win 4 or 5 ACC games. If they get thumped again tonight then I may have overshot my expectations a bit.

3. Default Re: OT: D1

Certainly they are not ready to compete with the conference blue bloods such as North Carolina and Duke. But to me the stat that really stuck out was what? C'mon, you're a coach. The three point shooting was the biggest difference at least in the stat page. Pitt went 2-19 while the Tar Heels hit on 10-24. That's a 24 point difference there. And Pitt lost by 25.

Pitt hung with them for a brief time at the onset. But yes, certainly they could not stay with the talented upperclassmen of NC. Just give a fair assessment here. McGowens and Xavier are freshmen. They played okay for what they were up against. As has been stated before on here---this is year one of the Capel rebuild. This thing will take time.

It was encouraging that Pitt only lost the rebounding edge 51-46. I was kind of surprised to see that. But I'm sure some of that was made up in the waning moments of the game.

-

4. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    They are a long way from competing with UNC. Tonight might be a little more realistic barometer to see just where they stand. At the beginning of the year I thought they could win 4 or 5 ACC games. If they get thumped again tonight then I may have overshot my expectations a bit.
    Pitt up by ten at the half.

-

Pitt actually made a couple shots tonight. I still think they look terrible.

6. Default Re: OT: D1

First ACC win in two years, we’ll take it. That team could’ve folded about a dozen different times last night when Louisville kept making those runs. The last few Pitt teams would have. And then to come back in OT when Louisville finally caught them. They could’ve been demoralized but they hung in and actually won it. Great win.

7. Default Re: OT: D1

Pitt actually made a couple shots tonight. I still think they look terrible.
    Probably much like your middle school team. LOL.

But it was a significant victory when you consider they were 0-18 the year before in ACC play.

-

8. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    First ACC win in two years, we’ll take it. That team could’ve folded about a dozen different times last night when Louisville kept making those runs. The last few Pitt teams would have. And then to come back in OT when Louisville finally caught them. They could’ve been demoralized but they hung in and actually won it. Great win.
    Absolutely! It was indeed a major accomplishment considering the depths that the program had sunk to. 33 for McGowens and Xavier had some big moments as always. I know about a month ago one of the 'Burgh sports personalities made the comment that he thought that the two frosh guards where good enough to eventually help Pitt make the Final Four with the obvious assumption that they get some talent in the front court. Who knows, maybe. But they have been showing something here.

I guess the game was blacked out online. That was a major downer.

Looked like some of the young Pitt players were making some bad turnovers in the waning minutes of the game. They nearly gave it away. But fantastic to see them hold on and pull out the victory.

Looks like NC State is up next Saturday for a noon tip.

-

Life in the ACC ...

Louisville loses at Pitt ... then naturally turns around and blows out North Carolina in the Dean Dome.

10. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Life in the ACC ...

Louisville loses at Pitt ... then naturally turns around and blows out North Carolina in the Dean Dome.
    Don't even try and explain it to me, Major Nelson. I'm afraid that I might understand it. LOL.

That makes no sense at all. Maybe it bodes well for Pitt to pick up some wins in conference play.

-

11. Default Re: OT: D1

Pitt takes down #11 Florida State this evening 75-62. 30 for Trey McGowens. 18 for Xavier Johnson. Pitt now 12-5 on the season. Quite the improvement.

Syracuse takes down #1 Duke 95-91 @ Cameron. ACC ball is just crazy!

-

12. Default Re: OT: D1

Apparently Pitt hopeful Qudus Wahab is set to announce his choice of university on Jan. 30. Some sentiment out there seems to suggest that he was all set to select Pitt before his mother interceded and tried to steer him towards Georgetown, which is much more local for him. Hopefully he will choose the Panthers. A quality big man would do a lot for Pitt fortunes next year!

Still a lot of buzz on DeMatha's 7-1 five-star recruit Hunter Dickinson (class of 2020) having Pitt high on his list.

-
    Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 01-17-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Tough road trip for Pitt today. First time in the Dome can be pretty intimidating ... Interested to see Pitt's guards attack the famous zone.

14. Default Re: OT: D1

Should be a good one. Tip at 2PM on (what is it?) ROOT SPORTS. Maybe the Panthers catch the Orange on a bit of a downdraft after their takedown of mighty Duke. But nonetheless, great experience to be gained for the evolving trio of talented Pitt freshmen.

A couple of names gaining some momentum in regards to Pitt recruiting are Brooklyn, NY twins Justin and Julian Champagnie. Both around 6-6. Justin is a four-star recruit with Julian a three. The former is currently ranked as high as #116 for class of 2020 recruits.

-

15. Default Re: OT: D1

Zion!!! Enough said.

Capel must have wondered who recruited all those Duke super men! At least Jay-Z seemed to enjoy it (whoever he is).

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Zion!!! Enough said.

Capel must have wondered who recruited all those Duke super men! At least Jay-Z seemed to enjoy it (whoever he is).

-

I made my Zoo return last night for the first time in a couple years. It was great to see Pitt start that game at 15-15. It was rocking in there.

Zion being forced to play a year in college is a different subject but he's just sick. He's an NBA starter right now. Almost not fair. LOL.

I'll say this, the Capel connection is getting Pitt a lot of press time on ESPN. Kids notice that stuff. Jay Z courtside helps, too. They get some post players to go with those three freshmen guards ... it's not going to take long.

I loved the answers the Duke players gave after the game about playing in that hostile environment. They basically all said it makes no difference to them ... said it's like that everywhere they go. The elite thrive in those road environments.

That game actually could have been close at the half. Pitt missed a TON of open three-pointers in the first half. Wide open looks.

Kansas at Kentucky this Saturday night. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I made my Zoo return last night for the first time in a couple years. It was great to see Pitt start that game at 15-15. It was rocking in there.

Zion being forced to play a year in college is a different subject but he's just sick. He's an NBA starter right now. Almost not fair. LOL.

I'll say this, the Capel connection is getting Pitt a lot of press time on ESPN. Kids notice that stuff. Jay Z courtside helps, too. They get some post players to go with those three freshmen guards ... it's not going to take long.

I loved the answers the Duke players gave after the game about playing in that hostile environment. They basically all said it makes no difference to them ... said it's like that everywhere they go. The elite thrive in those road environments.

That game actually could have been close at the half. Pitt missed a TON of open three-pointers in the first half. Wide open looks.

Kansas at Kentucky this Saturday night. Can't wait.
    Pitt's guards are athletic but can't shoot. They don't even make them warming up! Just sayin...

They’ll see zone the rest of the year. They have no answer for it. Tough to when you have nobody inside to dump it to. Pitt is real small. They need help in the front court.

I love the three freshmen guards, but they just aren’t a good three point shooting team.

Had the volume turned way up on the TV last night. There aren’t many better atmospheres than when the Oakland Zoo and Pitt basketball are both really humming.

I loved Capel getting that technical last night when things weren’t going well. I bet his players did too. Showed those guys he has their back and will keep fighting. That’s a young team that plays hard. Even in that Syracuse game, they looked awful, but they never got put to sleep entirely. Kept hanging around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Default Re: OT: D1

Pitt is bringing 6-5 shooting guard Gerald Drumgoole in for a visit in the coming weeks. He could fill a need as an outside shooter for the Panthers.

-

20. Default Re: OT: D1

Looks like we are on the eve of the 6-11 Qudus Wahab decision. Sounds like he has it narrowed down to Georgetown and Pitt if you believe what has been filtering down. The smart money seems to be favoring G-town.

-

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast