Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: D1

Default Re: OT: D1

Word filtering down that forward Tyrese Samuel has committed to Pitt. 6-8 200 forward. Fluid moving and can really hit the three. Out of Canada. Some potential here. Seems to fit the Capel mold if we can at all accurately deduce what the Capel mode is after six games.

Word is that Capel is in hot pursuit of Akok Akok and a few other high-end post players. Looks like Hurley of UConn also after Akok.

Edit add----Okay, looks like Samuel is making his choice this weekend with Pitt in the running. Also, Akok just left his prep school (or whatever it is) and is presumably planning on enrolling in college come the second semester.

-
    Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 11-25-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Pitt gets a big stage tonight vs No. 14 Iowa.

Last 3 minutes of Notre Dame vs Illinois at 18 minutes of real time and counting ....

22 minutes and counting ..... Will. Not. End.

Gonna miss Pitt first half.

4. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Last 3 minutes of Notre Dame vs Illinois at 18 minutes of real time and counting ....

22 minutes and counting ..... Will. Not. End.

Gonna miss Pitt first half.
    Yeah, that really sucked. Although I did enjoy the ND-Illinois finish. Was that His Airness' son Jordan #23 for the Illini?

Pitt looking good. I figured that they would get killed in the paint and they are leading paint scoring 23-6. Who'd thunk it?

Bad news on the Pitt recruiting front---Tyrese Samuel committed to Seton Hall. I didn't even realize they still had a program even. They are a long ways from the P.J. Carlesimo and Andrew Gaze days.

But plenty of good recruits for Capel to snag.

-

Glad Iowa is punching back. Want to see how this team responds to some adversity on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where they find this female announcer? Awful.

7. Default Re: OT: D1

Just in case we didn’t already know it I’ll say it again. Heather Lyke pulled a major coup getting Jeff Capel. I still think the ACC grind will be a bumpy road for this team but the program has already pretty much done a 180 just in terms of their level of competitiveness. Time will tell if Iowa is really good or just an early season flash, but either way, going on the road and nearly pulling this game out is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Just in case we didn’t already know it I’ll say it again. Heather Lyke pulled a major coup getting Jeff Capel. I still think the ACC grind will be a bumpy road for this team but the program has already pretty much done a 180 just in terms of their level of competitiveness. Time will tell if Iowa is really good or just an early season flash, but either way, going on the road and nearly pulling this game out is encouraging.
    That ending was tough. What a look that guy had under the basket. Pitt has some fight in it. Stallings' teams were just pansies.

I'm headed to the City Game. Looking forward to it. It should be a good one.

9. Default Re: OT: D1

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Very encouraging results for Pitt here! I figured that they would get pushed around facing a top 15 team on the road but they more than held their own. They really could have won that game. McGowens got a great look at the basket but just didn't get it to fall in the final seconds. I thought it would merely be a good learning experience for them but they did very nearly pull out the victory. This team is obviously very athletic, well-conditioned, ultra up-tempo and competitive. Capel deserves a ton of credit for what he has put together thus far.

Pitt needs to clean up the second half turnovers and work some on their late-game foul shooting. I think the team was starting to lose their legs by the end of the game. But all in all, a very positive experience for the team I think.

Now onto the City Game in the PPG Paints Arena on Friday. Take the Panthers.

-

10. Default Re: OT: D1

Where they find this female announcer? Awful.
    Good God she was really terrible! She turned me into Doughboy from Boyz In The Hood and some of the stuff he had to say regarding the fairer sex. LOL.

Major action was happening on the floor and you wanted to hear about it and she was going on and on about God knows what?

-

Calhoun's Youngstown State team got blown out at Robert Morris last night. Wonder if he's starting to wish he was back in Fairmont yet? Four of his YSU wins so far (there aren't many) are against D3 schools.

Calhoun's Youngstown State team got blown out at Robert Morris last night. Wonder if he's starting to wish he was back in Fairmont yet? Four of his YSU wins so far (there aren't many) are against D3 schools.
    I imagine his bank account is happy, but maybe not much else...

13. Default Re: OT: D1

How does our esteemed basketball roundtable see tomorrow night's City game going? I heard that one source was predicting a Duke's victory. I find that a little hard to fathom.

Sounds like the Panthers will be sporting a retro look for the game.

-

Dambrodt said today they expect to win the game.

Coach speak perhaps but bold nonetheless.

Dukes can play. They gave Notre Dame all they could handle.

I like Pitt in a tight one.

15. Default Re: OT: D1

Lose to the Bloody Dukes? I think you overestimate their chances.

But as you say---they did keep it somewhat tight with Notre Dame.

It probably will be a battle. I'm sure Pitt is a bit battle-fatigued from their Iowa excursion.

Pitt needs to get more participation from more players this time out. JWF and Toney need to contribute more this time out. Ellison too.

I see that former Cal coach Bill Brown is on Dambrot's staff.

-

16. Default Re: OT: D1

I think that Dambrot is the wildcard in all of this tonight. He's a good coach. What does he throw at the Pitt backcourt to slow down Johnson and company? Certainly Iowa seemed to do that very thing in the second half the other night. Though I think some of that may have been that they ran themselves out a bit.

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I think that Dambrot is the wildcard in all of this tonight. He's a good coach. What does he throw at the Pitt backcourt to slow down Johnson and company? Certainly Iowa seemed to do that very thing in the second half the other night. Though I think some of that may have been that they ran themselves out a bit.

-
    Could be. Pitt missed a ton of easy buckets in the second half (and FTs).

Duquesne strength is they can stroke the three ball.

Neither team is real deep. Foul trouble on either side will be huge.

Some nerves comes with this game, too. Both have played a hostile road game. A different kind of nerves comes with playing a packed home game.

I can't wait.

18. Default Re: OT: D1

Pitt a 74-53 winner this evening in the City Game. Dukes got out to a hot start and went up 8-0, but Pitt just too much for them. Duquesne not a bad team though.

Next up for the Panthers is Niagara on Monday at the Pete.

-

Duquesne played scared. P-word performance.

Dambrodt got embarrased.

20. Default Re: OT: D1

Duquesne played scared. P-word performance.

Dambrodt got embarrased.
    Dambrot seemed to have a good defensive scheme on Xavier initially with the man shadowing him from the onset. But that is probably not practical to be able to do that for 40 minutes. Plus, Pitt has other good guards that can hurt you as well.

I was watching Dambrot talking to Capel in the pregame and goodness did he look small. Is he really that little or is Capel just a huge man?

I just think the Dukes were hopelessly outgunned and outmanned by Pitt.

Panthers look decent thus far. Just think if Capel gets the recruits he wants for next season. There would be several athletic posts coming to Oakland.

Word is they are targeting guys like Akok Akok, Qudus Wahab, and Kofi Cockburn.

-

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast