3 Grand Valley St. 7-1 9-1
    4 UIndy 8-1 8-1
    5 Fort Hays St. 8-2 8-2
    6 Northwest Mo. St. 8-2 8-2
    7 Southern Ark. 8-2 8-2
    8 Harding 8-2 8-2
    9 Missouri S&T 6-1 8-1
    10 Pittsburg St. 7-3 7-3

Would set up first-round matchups of SAU @ OBU, NWMS @ GVSU, and FHSU @ UIndy.

I like it. I like it a lot. Hope all those teams win this week to keep it that way.

I'm surprised SAU held on to the #7 spot. Thought for sure Harding would move up past them. Looks like there isn't much S&T can do to get in the conversation. Even if UIndy loses to Hillsdale, they would have to fall two spots below S&T since they beat them H2H and would flip if they were next to each other.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11/5 Regional Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    In case anyone didn't see.

SUPER REGION THREE
    1 Ferris St. 9-0 10-0
    2 Ouachita Baptist 10-0 10-0
    3 Grand Valley St. 7-1 9-1
    4 UIndy 8-1 8-1
    5 Fort Hays St. 8-2 8-2
    6 Northwest Mo. St. 8-2 8-2
    7 Southern Ark. 8-2 8-2
    8 Harding 8-2 8-2
    9 Missouri S&T 6-1 8-1
    10 Pittsburg St. 7-3 7-3

Would set up first-round matchups of SAU @ OBU, NWMS @ GVSU, and FHSU @ UIndy.

I like it. I like it a lot. Hope all those teams win this week to keep it that way.

I'm surprised SAU held on to the #7 spot. Thought for sure Harding would move up past them. Looks like there isn't much S&T can do to get in the conversation. Even if UIndy loses to Hillsdale, they would have to fall two spots below S&T since they beat them H2H and would flip if they were next to each other.
    SAU beat Harding head to head. I also have a feeling Ferris won’t get the top seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    SAU beat Harding head to head. I also have a feeling Ferris won’t get the top seed.
    But I believe the H2H thing is only done at the end of the regular season. They don't rank teams during the year with the H2H thing in mind, I don't believe?

Nothing is going to happen to Ferris. We all gotta give it up lol.

Blog Entries

But I believe the H2H thing is only done at the end of the regular season. They don't rank teams during the year with the H2H thing in mind, I don't believe?

Nothing is going to happen to Ferris. We all gotta give it up lol.
    Pretty sure they did, as long as the two teams were adjacent in the standings. As for Ferris, you may be right, but I believe there is precedent in this exact scenario. Bowie State self reported using an ineligible player in 5 games in 2015.

https://www.bowiestate.edu/about/new...ity-violation/

Pretty sure they did, as long as the two teams were adjacent in the standings. As for Ferris, you may be right, but I believe there is precedent in this exact scenario. Bowie State self reported using an ineligible player in 5 games in 2015.

https://www.bowiestate.edu/about/new...ity-violation/
    But Bowie State wasn't a top-2 team in the country, and they didn't have a shot at a national title in the first place. Not saying that's right, but that's how the world works.

Blog Entries

But Bowie State wasn't a top-2 team in the country, and they didn't have a shot at a national title in the first place. Not saying that's right, but that's how the world works.
    Doesn’t matter; this is D2, not P5. FSU will still be undefeated, but they are going to get docked, I believe. I could be wrong.

Doesn’t matter; this is D2, not P5. FSU will still be undefeated, but they are going to get docked, I believe. I could be wrong.
    At this point, I'm fine with them not having anything happen to them, just because I want to see NWMS at GVSU. Hahaha

At this point, I'm fine with them not having anything happen to them, just because I want to see NWMS at GVSU. Hahaha
    I would like to see NWMS come to Allendale as well. Would be a hell of a match up since both teams are down this year. Well, NWMS is down a bit....GV is typical MM GV.

Oh and Klee.... DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    I would like to see NWMS come to Allendale as well. Would be a hell of a match up since both teams are down this year. Well, NWMS is down a bit....GV is typical MM GV.

Oh and Klee.... DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TODAY
    Don't you worry your pretty little face, I already did.

Don't you worry your pretty little face, I already did.
    Good job Klee! Proud of you!

I would appreciate a playoff refresher. How many teams make it per region? Do 1 or 2 teams get a first round bye? Does the highest seed host the game?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tip79 View Post
    I would appreciate a playoff refresher. How many teams make it per region? Do 1 or 2 teams get a first round bye? Does the highest seed host the game?

Thanks.
    7 teams. #1 seed gets a bye and plays the 4/5 winner in round two. Higher seed hosts throughout the region.

13. Default Re: 11/5 Regional Rankings

7 teams. #1 seed gets a bye and plays the 4/5 winner in round two. Higher seed hosts throughout the region.
    One add on where it comes up every year, there is no re seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Minnesota View Post
    One add on where it comes up every year, there is no re seeding.
    Use to be! The lowest seeded winner in the first round use to always go to the #1 seed in the second round, but not anymore.

They do re-seed now for the national semifinals, though.

15. Default Re: 11/5 Regional Rankings

Use to be! The lowest seeded winner in the first round use to always go to the #1 seed in the second round, but not anymore.

They do re-seed now for the national semifinals, though.
    I did forget about the semi's being re seeded.

I agree with Ian that I don't think Ferris will end up with the top seed. This has nothing to do with the 4-4-4 rule issue either.

OBU finishes with Henderson St who is currently 6-4. Ferris finishes with William Jewel who currently sits at 1-8 overall. This difference, plus the fact OBU will have beaten 2 top 10 teams in the region compared with Ferris beating 1, may push OBU ahead of Ferris.

Interestingly enough, 2 former GLIAC members might have a huge impact on where Ferris is seeded. Findlay (who Ferris beat handily earlier this season), plays Tiffin in their season finale. If Findlay beat Tiffin, Findlay could possibly jump into the SR1 top 10 and that would help Ferris's cause as the Ferris - Findlay game should be in-region under the adjacent state rule.

I don't think the higher seed automatically is the host throughout the post-season. I think the NCAA still uses the bidding process for hosting the games and if the higher seed meets the bidding requirement they will be chosen to host. If they can't meet the requirements they can be passed over. This is typically not seen in the football playoffs, but is seen in other sports at the D2 level. I have witnessed it several times in volleyball where the #1 seed does not always host the regional. Other sports have had the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
    I don't think the higher seed automatically is the host throughout the post-season. I think the NCAA still uses the bidding process for hosting the games and if the higher seed meets the bidding requirement they will be chosen to host. If they can't meet the requirements they can be passed over. This is typically not seen in the football playoffs, but is seen in other sports at the D2 level. I have witnessed it several times in volleyball where the #1 seed does not always host the regional. Other sports have had the same issue.
    Happened in 2014 where GVSU was the #3 seed in volleyball yet still hosted regionals (Truman State was #1 seed and Ferris State was #2 seed)

Quote Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
    I agree with Ian that I don't think Ferris will end up with the top seed. This has nothing to do with the 4-4-4 rule issue either.

OBU finishes with Henderson St who is currently 6-4. Ferris finishes with William Jewel who currently sits at 1-8 overall. This difference, plus the fact OBU will have beaten 2 top 10 teams in the region compared with Ferris beating 1, may push OBU ahead of Ferris.

Interestingly enough, 2 former GLIAC members might have a huge impact on where Ferris is seeded. Findlay (who Ferris beat handily earlier this season), plays Tiffin in their season finale. If Findlay beat Tiffin, Findlay could possibly jump into the SR1 top 10 and that would help Ferris's cause as the Ferris - Findlay game should be in-region under the adjacent state rule.
    Henderson is 5-5. Though I like your point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by ftballfan View Post
    Happened in 2014 where GVSU was the #3 seed in volleyball yet still hosted regionals (Truman State was #1 seed and Ferris State was #2 seed)
    I believe that happened though because neither school submitted bids to host. I believe those are required to be submitted shortly after the season starts, maybe earlier, and most schools won't submit them if they don't believe they have a chance to be the top seed in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast