Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Cool. Merry Christmas to all

2. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. But I triggered a Joebot. Which always makes for a good day. The only reason I brought up Penn State was because of a local comparison as it pertained to say, Alabama.

By either set of numbers you provided, I think that also proves my point. Going to a school like Pitt, one that is looked down upon by so many, doesn’t necessarily provide you with a poor opportunity to make it to the NFL. If Pitt provided such an inferior opportunity when it comes to college football, wouldn’t there be a greater disparity in those numbers? I’m sure we can find common ground on that.

I’ll stand by my statement. Pitt puts a lot of players in the league. And they have done well at putting impact guys there as well.

This isn’t a Pitt versus Penn State discussion, and I don’t want it to turn into that. So for the civility of this thread and for intention of keeping the discussion in line with what it was initially about, I hope we can simply end the Pitt-Penn State talk here.

The underlying purpose of my post was to explain that the best way to make it to the league is to play, and play a lot, while in college. You don’t necessarily have to go to one of the “token” schools to have the better opportunity to play.

The Robert Foster angle isn’t necessarily only limited to him. A lot of kids from Pittsburgh that are highly regarded recruits take the grass is greener approach and go elsewhere. And that’s fine. That’s their decision. A lot of guys want to say they play in front of 100,000 people. But you never hear of a lot of those guys ever again. There’s obvious expectations, I’ll be clear to state that before somebody tries to pull a “gotcha” on me, but those exceptions aren’t necessarily common.

The point I’m trying to make is the NFL wants players. They don’t care if you played in front of 100,000 people or not. If you can play, you can play. But you need tape to have that shot. The unfortunate thing for the kids who go to the Penn States and the Alabama’s of the world is that they just become “a guy.” Those schools bring in bunches of 5 star recruits every year. One injury, one off-field issue, one anything, your buried at those schools. You can become a “down the liner” real quick. If you have the opportunity to play early it might serve yourself with the better opportunity professionally.

That’s what my point was/is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure we’re completely getting your point. Perhaps 11 more paragraphs of explanation will help.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. But I triggered a Joebot. Which always makes for a good day. The only reason I brought up Penn State was because of a local comparison as it pertained to say, Alabama.

By either set of numbers you provided, I think that also proves my point. Going to a school like Pitt, one that is looked down upon by so many, doesn’t necessarily provide you with a poor opportunity to make it to the NFL. If Pitt provided such an inferior opportunity when it comes to college football, wouldn’t there be a greater disparity in those numbers? I’m sure we can find common ground on that.

I’ll stand by my statement. Pitt puts a lot of players in the league. And they have done well at putting impact guys there as well.

This isn’t a Pitt versus Penn State discussion, and I don’t want it to turn into that. So for the civility of this thread and for intention of keeping the discussion in line with what it was initially about, I hope we can simply end the Pitt-Penn State talk here.

The underlying purpose of my post was to explain that the best way to make it to the league is to play, and play a lot, while in college. You don’t necessarily have to go to one of the “token” schools to have the better opportunity to play.

The Robert Foster angle isn’t necessarily only limited to him. A lot of kids from Pittsburgh that are highly regarded recruits take the grass is greener approach and go elsewhere. And that’s fine. That’s their decision. A lot of guys want to say they play in front of 100,000 people. But you never hear of a lot of those guys ever again. There’s obvious expectations, I’ll be clear to state that before somebody tries to pull a “gotcha” on me, but those exceptions aren’t necessarily common.

The point I’m trying to make is the NFL wants players. They don’t care if you played in front of 100,000 people or not. If you can play, you can play. But you need tape to have that shot. The unfortunate thing for the kids who go to the Penn States and the Alabama’s of the world is that they just become “a guy.” Those schools bring in bunches of 5 star recruits every year. One injury, one off-field issue, one anything, your buried at those schools. You can become a “down the liner” real quick. If you have the opportunity to play early it might serve yourself with the better opportunity professionally.

That’s what my point was/is.

That’s what my point was/is

Ok.

5. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Some of you guys have me concerned here. I've been an avid football follower for over 40 years now and I thought IUP24's posts made great sense and were even tinged with brilliance. I completely understood everything that he was trying to convey.

I think the one point that he was trying to make was how Pittsburgh/western PA football standouts don't often go to Penn State that much anymore. I can think of a few in years past---LaVar Arrington out of North Hills some 20 years ago and current Steelers TE Jesse James. I recall Steve Breaston going off to Michigan a decade or so ago. But those are the guys who made it. QB Marc Bulger who went to WVU quite a few moons ago comes to mind.

As I referenced in the Bill Fralic thread----Pitt at one time got a lot of talent right out of their own backyard and they went on to star at Pitt and then the NFL. They still churn out a great deal for not being a perennial top ten program.

I don't think that he anywhere was trying to say that Pitt produced more or better NFL players than PSU. But nice job on the listings, IUPEbbs. Very interesting.

But regardless, this is the kind of stuff that I personally enjoy reading. I think that both IUP24 and IUPEbbs put their respective point across.

-

This started by debating if Robert Foster made the right choice by going to Alabama instead of Pitt. That wasn’t just an attempt to bring Pitt into the discussion. Those were his final two schools.

There’s generally two schools of thought...

1) Go somewhere that’s a “token” program like Alabama... The experience is likely better, the opportunity to win is likely better, but there’s a higher risk towards your pro career because you might not play enough because you get lost in the shuffle.

2) Go to one of the “other” programs to play your college ball... You’ll play in front of less people, probably won’t win a championship, but there’s a much greater chance of you getting on the field early and/or being an impact player.

This is what we are debating here. If you’re a fan of a brand name school, it’ll only ever be about be about the crowd and that extra stuff for you. If you root for programs viewed as inferior by other fanbases, it’ll always be about a high level recruit having the opportunity to come in, play early, and become a star.

We aren’t going to change anybody’s mind here. Scouts want players. If you have enough on tape, you’ll get your shot. Kids should choose where they think they’ll get the most tape if their ultimate goal is to play professionally.

Why are you guys giving IUP24 a hard time? He lays out his thought process and gets grief for typing more than can fit into a cell phone notification bar. What he laid out is the exact logic my Son and I laid out for my nephew when Ohio State started to recruit him hard. He was better off at Pitt where at least he'd have chance to compete guard to guard. At Ohio State he's a center period. At Pitt he has a chance to be developed. At Ohio State he better hit the ground running or be moved down the depth chart when they get their 5 star recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    Why are you guys giving IUP24 a hard time? He lays out his thought process and gets grief for typing more than can fit into a cell phone notification bar.
    I don't know. I'm just a "Joebot."

Former Imani Christian star Samuel Fairley headed to SRU.

He had a ton of offers. That's a REAL big land for SRU.

10. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Former Imani Christian star Samuel Fairley headed to SRU.

He had a ton of offers. That's a REAL big land for SRU.
    Fairly big

Jordan Cavatto (6'0 262 OL) Erie Cathedral Prep, 3peat 4A Pa ST Champs chooses to play at home for Gannon University

"Congratulations to Prep senior offensive lineman Jordan Covatto. He has committed to attend Gannon University on scholarship next season. Covatto helped the Ramblers average 42 points and eight yards a carry this past year, on their way to a third straight state championship."

Former Concord guard Eric Festa (Franklin Regional) commits to SRU. Three years eligibility.

Started 10 games as true freshman at Concord. Sat out past season. Also offered by Cal.

Cal has offered Kiski Area WR Jack Colecchi.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Cal has offered Kiski Area WR Jack Colecchi.
    A second Kiski player (and IUP target), LB Drew Dinunzio-Biss, picked up an offer from Mount Union over the weekend.

Why are you guys giving IUP24 a hard time? He lays out his thought process and gets grief for typing more than can fit into a cell phone notification bar. What he laid out is the exact logic my Son and I laid out for my nephew when Ohio State started to recruit him hard. He was better off at Pitt where at least he'd have chance to compete guard to guard. At Ohio State he's a center period. At Pitt he has a chance to be developed. At Ohio State he better hit the ground running or be moved down the depth chart when they get their 5 star recruit.
    So you could’ve just said your son is not elite and needs to play at Pitt to have a chance to see the field. It’s okay Ohio State is a top 3 program it’s not like everyone can or should see the field at a school like that

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    So you could’ve just said your son is not elite and needs to play at Pitt to have a chance to see the field. It’s okay Ohio State is a top 3 program it’s not like everyone can or should see the field at a school like that
    Not my son, nephew. He was not one of the 1% Elite or he would be at Alabama, Clemson, or Notre Dame. Yea, I could have said what you stated. But, it was tied into the context of IUP24's thoughts on why playing at Pitt instead of a perennial FBS top 4 may be a good choice for a recruit. I would suspect you had offers from other schools and landed at Cal because Cal become your best fit athletically, academically, and socially. Something with my Nephew, even though I was pushing real hard for Virginia Tech or Maryland, Pitt was his choice. Even though he is competing for depth chart positioning against recruits of similar talent, it's still intense. Now it's up to him to take care of his business if he wants to see the field as a starter before his fifth year.

Not my son, nephew. He was not one of the 1% Elite or he would be at Alabama, Clemson, or Notre Dame. Yea, I could have said what you stated. But, it was tied into the context of IUP24's thoughts on why playing at Pitt instead of a perennial FBS top 4 may be a good choice for a recruit. I would suspect you had offers from other schools and landed at Cal because Cal become your best fit athletically, academically, and socially. Something with my Nephew, even though I was pushing real hard for Virginia Tech or Maryland, Pitt was his choice. Even though he is competing for depth chart positioning against recruits of similar talent, it's still intense. Now it's up to him to take care of his business if he wants to see the field as a starter before his fifth year.
    Your nephew is the 1% elite that is why he is at Pitt. Less than 6% of HS players compete past High School with only 2.4% of HS players going D1 (both FBS & FCS can't find numbers for just P5). So if there are 255 D1 football schools and only 66 of them are in P5 conferences plus ND that means you are talking less than 1% of HS players are that elite. What you are talking about is the .00001% that play for the top 5/6 teams. Any clue on who you nephew is? I am a big Pitt fan and would love to follow his career as he progresses through the system.

I played Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefln View Post
    Your nephew is the 1% elite that is why he is at Pitt. Less than 6% of HS players compete past High School with only 2.4% of HS players going D1 (both FBS & FCS can't find numbers for just P5). So if there are 255 D1 football schools and only 66 of them are in P5 conferences plus ND that means you are talking less than 1% of HS players are that elite. What you are talking about is the .00001% that play for the top 5/6 teams. Any clue on who you nephew is? I am a big Pitt fan and would love to follow his career as he progresses through the system.
    We are talking about OSU, Bama, Clemson of the world. Yes they are D1 but Those programs are just different

20. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    We are talking about OSU, Bama, Clemson of the world. Yes they are D1 but Those programs are just different
    And if you read what I wrote you would know I addressed that when I said:

What you are talking about is the .00001% that play for the top 5/6 teams.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast