Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recruiting 2019

Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Being a PWO at Alabama would be a pretty great experience, but out of state total cost of attendance is $46k. Is being on the Alabama football team a $184,000 experience? I don't know.

One thing I'm interested in is the propensity of football walk-ons to redshirt. They're already paying full freight then choosing to extend their stay in hopes of playing time. Does that decision benefit them 5-10 years down the line?
    Redshirt doesn't mean that you HAVE to extend their stay. jus sayin

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    We assume all kids come from poor families. They don't. Maybe the tuition is of no concern to his family. Tuscaloosa is a tremendous place. It's Alabama. No offense to schools in the north but the ladies down there are on a different planet. The weather is better. PWO is a long shot but it's better odds than Johnny Intramural. Some just want the notoriety of saying they are on the team.
    Fair points. Long shot to do a lot. Obviously the chances of making it to the NFL as a PWO at Alabama are significantly greater than making it to the NFL as a scholarship player at Bucknell. I guess I'm at that age when hindsight kicks in and you regret the illogical decisions you made in your youth.

Fair points. Long shot to do a lot. Obviously the chances of making it to the NFL as a PWO at Alabama are significantly greater than making it to the NFL as a scholarship player at Bucknell. I guess I'm at that age when hindsight kicks in and you regret the illogical decisions you made in your youth.
    Me too.

Not sure the NFL chance thing is true - both are pretty low odds. I found this article though, chances of making it as a PWO are around 10% - I suppose if its your lifelong dream, but if playing for a specific college football team is part of a lifelong dream, well, may want to re-examine . . . just sayin. Then again, I keep playing the lottery, even knowing the odds.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...chool-hopefuls

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Not sure the NFL chance thing is true - both are pretty low odds. I found this article though, chances of making it as a PWO are around 10% - I suppose if its your lifelong dream, but if playing for a specific college football team is part of a lifelong dream, well, may want to re-examine . . . just sayin. Then again, I keep playing the lottery, even knowing the odds.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/hig...chool-hopefuls
    Alabama is Alabama. Five-stars get buried on the depth chart.

The kid I always think of is the WR from Pittsburgh (Robert Foster). He was in the same senior class as Tyler Boyd (and was ranked higher).

Boyd quickly became a star at Pitt and (I believe) a 2nd round pick of the Bungals. Foster went to Bama along with about 9 other 5-star WRs and rarely saw the field in 5 years down there. He went undrafted.

Say what you will about Pitt but it puts some serious players in to the NFL -- including the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Aaron Donald, Larry Fitzgerald, Shady McCoy, Darelle Revis, Curtis Martin, Dion Lewis, James Connor ... big stars.

Being a PWO at Alabama would be a pretty great experience, but out of state total cost of attendance is $46k. Is being on the Alabama football team a $184,000 experience? I don't know.

One thing I'm interested in is the propensity of football walk-ons to redshirt. They're already paying full freight then choosing to extend their stay in hopes of playing time. Does that decision benefit them 5-10 years down the line?
    Will pay half that, Southern Schools give a ton of money to Northern kids, known fact, bit over 20K at the most.....

7. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Hollenbach's Rivals recruit page reads like an SEC schedule

Quote Originally Posted by RockinTheSnackBar View Post
    Hollenbach's Rivals recruit page reads like an SEC schedule
    There is still a long way to go before signing day. Verbals are meaningless. That's when the true sharks come out.

The kid I always think of is the WR from Pittsburgh (Robert Foster). He was in the same senior class as Tyler Boyd (and was ranked higher).

Boyd quickly became a star at Pitt and (I believe) a 2nd round pick of the Bungals. Foster went to Bama along with about 9 other 5-star WRs and rarely saw the field in 5 years down there. He went undrafted.

Say what you will about Pitt but it puts some serious players in to the NFL -- including the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

Aaron Donald, Larry Fitzgerald, Shady McCoy, Darelle Revis, Curtis Martin, Dion Lewis, James Connor ... big stars.
    Larry Fitzgerald now does commercials for the University of Phoenix where he received his degree.

https://www.phoenix.edu/partners/larry-fitzgerald.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Larry Fitzgerald now does commercials for the University of Phoenix where he received his degree.

https://www.phoenix.edu/partners/larry-fitzgerald.html
    Yeah ... and Pitt made him a millionaire.

Slippery Rock

Cody Ross, FB/LB Freedom 5-11, 210 committed
    Colton Richards, DT, Wilmington 6-2, 270 offered
    Corey Melzer, DB North Allegheny, 5-11, 183 offered
    Devin Sims, RB, McKeesport, 5-8, 170 offered
    Dustin Shoaf, Yough, RB, 6-2, 180 offered also by Cal
    Kyle Sheets, QB/WR, Conneaut, 6-3, 200 offered
    Logan Lutz, WR, Grove City 6-1, 190 offered
    Mike Dorundo, C/DT Pine-Richland, 6-2, 255 offered

Lock Haven

DeShaun Sanders, RB, Hopewell, 5-9, 195 offered

Edinboro

Tanner Wells, DE/OT Brentwood, 6-3, 245 offered

12. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Great Point, I do think sometimes, while you can call it "cowardice" I would rather produce film on the field at a program that gets 1-3 star recruits. I would choose D-1 over D2, but I would not set myself up to go against a pseudo NFL team chalk full of guys, like the NFL, that can replace you at any moment. In addition to Boyd, I think with Robert Foster I look at his team mate Jordan whitehead. Set himself up with more game film, even despite some off field stuff keeping him off field he did not have as much danger running in to the "Wally Pipp" situation. Foster did see time for a minute, was injured and lapped. He got a low grade FA offer I think. Whitehead in the rounds which has given him a greater chance to start. I think he does for the Bucs .

I have to agree with you on that. Go where you can seriously develop and play. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
    I have to agree with you on that. Go where you can seriously develop and play. Just sayin.
    Or you could go to the school that you want to go to for the reason that schools exist ...... either/or. jus sayin

15. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

I have fully agree that IUPBigIndians made an excellent point here with the Tyler Boyd and Robert Foster comparison. One thrived and one saw his career and NFL hopes pretty much sink like a rock. Foster did sign as FA but I don't think he stuck. Boyd was a second round pick of the Bengals. Teams discard FAs without care. They rarely do that with high draft picks. Meaning=you get much more of an opportunity and time to develop your game.

A few names from Lackwanna College (Jr. college) that PSAC fans may want to keep an eye on are former Jeanette QB/DB Robert Kennedy and former Ligonier Valley QB Collin Smith.

Kennedy projects as a DB and has seen some action this year and has 14 tackles and one INT.

Smith, who was a DB recruit at WVU after high school, projects as a QB. He has not played that much this season. He threw 42 TD passes as a senior in high school and took his team to the state semifinals. I thought that he projected as a D-II QB the whole time. Not exactly sure what the Mountaineers were doing in thinking that a kid from the rural and tiny Heritage Conference could cover Big 12 WRs?

Thanks to IUPBigIndians for informing me on Smith's current whereabouts.

-

I agree. Play there, be a star, get a shot in the bigs. Why is Pitt not better?!?! They’ve had some stupid good talent over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama has made a major push to recruit regular students from the North. When my son was going into his Junior year something like the top 20 academic students in his high school class were invited to an Alabama hosted event at Station Square in Pittsburgh. My son did not attend the event but some of his classmates did (both from his class and 2 classes below when there turn came). In total, just from our school district, 5 students are on full or partial academic scholarship at Bama. Partial might be everything covered except meals, at least one kid has this arrangement.

If the QB from Southern Columbia applied and qualified as a high level academic student, he might be going for free.

In 2016 we went down over Thanksgiving so he could visit with his friends for a few days and then we went to the Auburn game on Saturday. I toured campus quite extensively and took in the Gameday experience. Being a walk-on there wouldn’t be bad (also long as you realize you won’t take a snap). Team meals would be awesome and the free top of the line gear would be nice.

A player on my HS team wanted to go the Notre Dame. He walked on and has no regrets. He has a great job and he will always be a ND football player having played with Dave Duerson, Bob Crable, Mike Golic, Mark Bavaro, Tony Hunter, Allen Pinkett, Blair Kiel and Stacy Toran.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    Alabama has made a major push to recruit regular students from the North. When my son was going into his Junior year something like the top 20 academic students in his high school class were invited to an Alabama hosted event at Station Square in Pittsburgh. My son did not attend the event but some of his classmates did (both from his class and 2 classes below when there turn came). In total, just from our school district, 5 students are on full or partial academic scholarship at Bama. Partial might be everything covered except meals, at least one kid has this arrangement.

If the QB from Southern Columbia applied and qualified as a high level academic student, he might be going for free.

In 2016 we went down over Thanksgiving so he could visit with his friends for a few days and then we went to the Auburn game on Saturday. I toured campus quite extensively and took in the Gameday experience. Being a walk-on there wouldn’t be bad (also long as you realize you won’t take a snap). Team meals would be awesome and the free top of the line gear would be nice.

A player on my HS team wanted to go the Notre Dame. He walked on and has no regrets. He has a great job and he will always be a ND football player having played with Dave Duerson, Bob Crable, Mike Golic, Mark Bavaro, Tony Hunter, Allen Pinkett, Blair Kiel and Stacy Toran.
    Bama has more money tha God -- on the books and off.

19. Default Re: Recruiting 2019

Another factor here is its not just go to Bama and sit or go d2 and be an all American. He could go to a PSAC school or RMU and get beat out or not have a great career. Stockett at IUP.....Tomko at the boro is a 6-5 athletic guy...that got benched a few weeks back. You can still go d2 thinking youre gonna "tear it up" and not be happy. How many D1 guys transfer down and still aren't great here.

Also, as far as why you go to college. I have a buddy that played for Tressell at YSU. By the time Tressell was at Ohio st, my friend was applying for jobs with Jim Tressell as a reference. When he got an interview the guy interviewing him couldn't believe Tressell was actually on his resume and called him right on the spot. Tressell told the guy he would be crazy not to hire him....and my friend was hired. Nick Saban who might go down as the top college coach of all time would look pretty good on a resume.. on top of played football at Bama...on top of the coaches and players that you would have as contacts/references.

The Foster and Boyd debate... their are numerous 4 and 5 star guys that you never heard of. I can look at a 20 year old college magazine with a recruiting section in it and the top 100 list of recruits has many you never heard of. It could be partly they got into bad situations but its also many are overrated and cant adjust when other guys can match up physically all the sudden.

I'm not 100% sure what the main point is here but as far as being buried on the depth chart at a top D1 program there are a few thousand great athletes who do it every year. Being part of the program is worth it for them even if they don't see the field. Reminds me of a cousin of mine who starred as a freshman in DIII and then transferred to the big time at Penn State. He was a walk-on at first but made the team and eventually earned a scholarship, was as high as 2nd on the depth chart but most of the time 3rd team, played in several games and went to a couple bowl games. He would never trade that experience even to be an AA at a lower level. It's part of him forever. When they write his obituary it will say he played football for PSU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12