Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: D2 Bowl Games

  1. #1

    Default D2 Bowl Games

    How many Bowl games does D2 Football have. What are they called and are they all tied to a specific conference. Seeing how my Mo S&T Miners are going to finish a great season and not get a playoff invite I was wondering if maybe a Bowl game would be a possibility? Also, how long after the regular season finishes until the Bowl game is played?

  2. Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
    How many Bowl games does D2 Football have. What are they called and are they all tied to a specific conference. Seeing how my Mo S&T Miners are going to finish a great season and not get a playoff invite I was wondering if maybe a Bowl game would be a possibility? Also, how long after the regular season finishes until the Bowl game is played?
    Last year there were 4 bowls. They were all played on the first Saturday in December. I'd expect the same to be true this year.

    Mineral Water Bowl: Excelsior Springs, MO - Northern Sun vs. At-large (had been MIAA for many years until this year)
    Heart of Texas Bowl: Copperas Cove, TX - Not sure, might be two at-large teams
    Corsicana Bowl: Corsicana, TX - MIAA vs. LSC (I believe this had been LSC vs. MIAA or GAC until this year)
    Live United Bowl: Texarkana, AR - GAC vs. at-large, I believe. And I think the at-large maybe has to come from either the LSC or the MIAA

    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd be a little surprised if S&T got any of those, just because I do think the bowls have relationships with the conferences, even if not formalized, that dramatically help the MIAA, GAC and LSC with the three farther south bowls.

    Your best bet would be the MWB. It's not clear (to me) if the MIAA-MWB relationship actually soured or if it was just un-formalized. If the relationship soured, I would think the MWB would want someone as local as possible and S&T would be their best option there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    4 Bowls - there are loose affiliations that change and have a lot this year so

    Mineral Water Bowl - Excelsior Springs, MO (last year MIAA vs NSUN)
    Corsicana Bowl - Corsicana, TX (last year MIAA vs LSC)
    Live United Bowl - Texarkana, AR (last year MIAA vs GAC)
    Champs HOT Bowl - Waco, TX (last year MIAA vs LSC)

    I doubt MIAA fills out 4 bowls, if I'd guess the Mineral Water or Live United would be good options for S&T

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    L
    Your best bet would be the MWB. It's not clear (to me) if the MIAA-MWB relationship actually soured or if it was just un-formalized. If the relationship soured, I would think the MWB would want someone as local as possible and S&T would be their best option there.
    Not sure either but even if they are further down the pecking order than they'd like I can see them taking a 7-4 MO Western over 9-2 S&T (sorry S&T). The NSUN team looks to be Winona St. who was there last in 2012 or Moorhead St. which has never gone.
    if they really ran it to fill seats you'd think they'd want a MO West vs S&T game

  5. Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    It looks like to me the team from the NSIC will be the winner of the St. Cloud- MSU Moorhead game as neither team has played in the Bowl game. Winona State could make it in if they win and there's a tie in the other game. As for the other team I'm guessing S&T would be someone they would look at if they win against Truman State or other teams that are in the 8-10 spots of the regional rankings or top 25 that don't make the playoffs and after next weekend I'm sure they will have schools calling wanting to come to the game.

  6. Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    S&T makes sense as they are close and foreign to post season play. It would likely be a big deal to them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,792
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Water Bowl Fan View Post
    It looks like to me the team from the NSIC will be the winner of the St. Cloud- MSU Moorhead game as neither team has played in the Bowl game. Winona State could make it in if they win and there's a tie in the other game. As for the other team I'm guessing S&T would be someone they would look at if they win against Truman State or other teams that are in the 8-10 spots of the regional rankings or top 25 that don't make the playoffs and after next weekend I'm sure they will have schools calling wanting to come to the game.
    I don't know why any team would have a tie unless there is a power failure or weather cancellation. They do have overtimes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    405
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    41225

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    UCO and S&T would be a fantastic game in the MWB!

  9. Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo slice View Post
    UCO and S&T would be a fantastic game in the MWB!
    I'm guessing UCO is making another trip south for a bowl game. There are just too many bowls in TX/So AR for UCO to be one of the obvious bowl candidates and them not to go to one of those bowls.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    405
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    41225

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    I'm guessing UCO is making another trip south for a bowl game. There are just too many bowls in TX/So AR for UCO to be one of the obvious bowl candidates and them not to go to one of those bowls.
    prolly end up being correct. i just know we have a choice of all 4. at least as of right now.

  11. #11

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    With the Mineral Water Bowl not "officially" having ties to the MIAA, I could see S&T playing in Excelsior Springs against St. Cloud or Moorhead.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    405
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    41225

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
    With the Mineral Water Bowl not "officially" having ties to the MIAA, I could see S&T playing in Excelsior Springs against St. Cloud or Moorhead.
    like i said, we have our choice of 4 games...miaa ties or not

  13. Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    I'm not sure I got my conference tie-ins correct earlier:

    Mineral Water - NSIC vs At-Large
    Texarkana - GAC vs LSC or MIAA
    Corsicana - LSC vs MIAA
    Heart of Texas - LSC vs At-large

    Barring upsets this weekend, LSC may only have two eligible non-PO teams, so they wouldn't have a squad for the Texarkana Bowl. That means MIAA would have slots in Corsicana and Texarkana. Once again, barring upsets, those two slots are probably UCO and Pitt State. Bowl predictions:

    Texarkana - Harding vs. Pitt State
    Corsicana - UCO vs. West Texas A&M
    Heart of Texas - Angelo State vs. ???????? (No idea who to guess, maybe MoWest?)
    Mineral Water - Whoever comes out of the weird mix of 7-3 NSIC teams (my gut tells me Winona State gets the bid) vs ???????? (I'm guessing MUS&T)

    In a world where there wasn't this new separation between the MIAA and the MWB, flipping MUS&T and MW would make all the sense in the world. I'm not sure what to think about that now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post

    Texarkana - Harding vs. Pitt State
    Corsicana - UCO vs. West Texas A&M
    I would think these two bowls would switch their MIAA options as Pitt went to Texarkana last year and UCO went to Corsicana.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    405
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    41225

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    I would think these two bowls would switch their MIAA options as Pitt went to Texarkana last year and UCO went to Corsicana.
    i would think uco would pick heart of texas to make a clean sweep of the bowls in the last 5 years

  16. Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    I'm not sure I got my conference tie-ins correct earlier:

    Mineral Water - NSIC vs At-Large
    Texarkana - GAC vs LSC or MIAA
    Corsicana - LSC vs MIAA
    Heart of Texas - LSC vs At-large

    Barring upsets this weekend, LSC may only have two eligible non-PO teams, so they wouldn't have a squad for the Texarkana Bowl. That means MIAA would have slots in Corsicana and Texarkana. Once again, barring upsets, those two slots are probably UCO and Pitt State. Bowl predictions:

    Texarkana - Harding vs. Pitt State
    Corsicana - UCO vs. West Texas A&M
    Heart of Texas - Angelo State vs. ???????? (No idea who to guess, maybe MoWest?)
    Mineral Water - Whoever comes out of the weird mix of 7-3 NSIC teams (my gut tells me Winona State gets the bid) vs ???????? (I'm guessing MUS&T)

    In a world where there wasn't this new separation between the MIAA and the MWB, flipping MUS&T and MW would make all the sense in the world. I'm not sure what to think about that now.
    The Agent Barry Live United Bowl in Texarkana, AR has informal agreements to invite a team from either the MIAA and LSC. Currently, there are at least three teams from the MIAA being watched, and there are two LSC teams being watched. Of the teams being watched, at least three are currently in the top 7 in their regions.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    405
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    41225

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Gentleman View Post
    The Agent Barry Live United Bowl in Texarkana, AR has informal agreements to invite a team from either the MIAA and LSC. Currently, there are at least three teams from the MIAA being watched, and there are two LSC teams being watched. Of the teams being watched, at least three are currently in the top 7 in their regions.
    dont mean to be a dbag but can you shed a little light on this statement?

    in the sr3 there are no top 7 lsc teams and only 2 in the top7....do you mean top 3 in the conference maybe?

    and are they inviting 1 from lsc and 1 from miaa? or is it one or the other?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,822
    Rep Power
    841391

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    top 7 go to the playoffs, so there's a typo in there somewhere.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,822
    Rep Power
    841391

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Pitt/UCO rematch bowl.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    405
    Posts
    651
    Rep Power
    41225

    Default Re: D2 Bowl Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Pitt/UCO rematch bowl.
    I N!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •