Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: SRU

Default Re: SRU

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    As with most of these things, the school over reacted to the situation and took action before doing a measured assessment of all the facts. When organizations make knee jerk decisions like this one apparently was, it almost always bites them in the ass. Maybe they saw this as a way to get out of paying Reynolds and they lept before knowing all the facts. People want to criticize the AD for his part in Reynolds 5 year contract...might as well throw some shade on the new Prez whos actions will now force SRU to pay for TWO head basketball coaches! What a way to start your tenure...OUCH!!

Yep. I do wonder how that plays in to the next hire. Do they now take the Clarion route and pay somebody the equivalent of D2 coaching minimum wage or do they just bite the bullet and open the wallet. Three years of paying two basketball coaches has to take its toll somewhere.

I guess, regardless, the KR era is officially dead. He certainly was at center stage of some of the more entertaining moments in KCAC recent history. NOBODY -- player or coach -- could get that place fired up like he could. Perhaps it's only fitting his era ends in a heated controversy.

I do hope he lands in the conference, builds up a bad program (hint: Clarion) and sticks it right back up SRU's backside.

Villains are good for business.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    People act like Reynolds did somthing wrong. Clearly he didn't. Earlier comparisons of graduation rates show that his players were as likely to graduate as those from almost any other program. Sure most of his players were transfers, but youd be hard pressed to find a program that hasn't had transfers fill critical rolls and were often the difference makers on some very successful teams.

Reynolds teams played tough and that rankled the feathers of some who say his players were goons. That is a little strong coming from a conference known for goonish play.

I think you’re applying and interpreting the term “goon” too literally.

I don’t think they played dirty on the court. I think he built a program off of second, third, and fourth chance guys. Often times, those guys had questionable off the court backgrounds that may be considered “goonish.” But those backgrounds weren’t necessarily public.

How many guys had long criminal records that came through? Other than Jerrell Brooks, I don’t think many, or any. I don’t know for sure though.

However, you don’t end up on your 3rd or 4th team in the same number of years without being either not very good, or just not a good teammate.

Give him credit, whatever the problem with these guys were previously, he always seemed to get them to put it behind them. His teams were hard to play against. They played hard and physical. They were always in the top 4 of the PSAC West. To do what he did almost every year, with an incredibly limited budget, shows he was pretty good at his job. If people in admissions or in the athletic department allowed criminals to come to campus, shame on them. That’s their fault, not Kevin Reynolds’.

Coaches are paid to win. I’m sure there’s questionable characters on the IUP campus. Same with West Liberty. Nobody setting the moral example ever wins. They aren’t paid to be professors of morality. Well I guess Urban Meyer is now, which is hilarious. They’re job is to win. I’m sure there was a skeleton in Crutchfield’s closet when he was at West Liberty. Lombardi had one with the Devante Chance story. No program with even the most remote amount of success is squeaky clean.

The application of the term “goon” came from a description of physical play in an era that focuses more on run and gun, three point shooting, and gaudy offensive numbers.

Like it or not, I think Kevin Reynolds’ firing is a microcosm of life in 2019. Kids are soft. People are easily offended. And there has to be retribution or punishment for literally every action that a person does if somebody doesn’t agree with it. I don’t think that we’ll ever know the full story, but I think it’s a combination of those three things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24...I agree with your post. No successful program is spotless. Wins are the cureall and will "hide" almost all bad behavior and questionable recruiting. Had Reynolds won PSAC crowns the last three years and gone to the NCAA playoffs, he'd probably still be the head man at SRU.

Particularly agree with your last para. In this day and age, everything a person did or said can be dragged up with a demand for swift and harsh retribution...even things that happened 20+ years ago! No amount of growth and/or good works done is ever enough to erase a questionable drunken photo taken when a person was 18. I look back on some of the things I did when I was a teenager and thank god there weren't cell phone cameras back then! I would probably be completely non-employable in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I think you’re applying and interpreting the term “goon” too literally.

I don’t think they played dirty on the court. I think he built a program off of second, third, and fourth chance guys. Often times, those guys had questionable off the court backgrounds that may be considered “goonish.” But those backgrounds weren’t necessarily public.

How many guys had long criminal records that came through? Other than Jerrell Brooks, I don’t think many, or any. I don’t know for sure though.

However, you don’t end up on your 3rd or 4th team in the same number of years without being either not very good, or just not a good teammate.

Give him credit, whatever the problem with these guys were previously, he always seemed to get them to put it behind them. His teams were hard to play against. They played hard and physical. They were always in the top 4 of the PSAC West. To do what he did almost every year, with an incredibly limited budget, shows he was pretty good at his job. If people in admissions or in the athletic department allowed criminals to come to campus, shame on them. That’s their fault, not Kevin Reynolds’.

Coaches are paid to win. I’m sure there’s questionable characters on the IUP campus. Same with West Liberty. Nobody setting the moral example ever wins. They aren’t paid to be professors of morality. Well I guess Urban Meyer is now, which is hilarious. They’re job is to win. I’m sure there was a skeleton in Crutchfield’s closet when he was at West Liberty. Lombardi had one with the Devante Chance story. No program with even the most remote amount of success is squeaky clean.

The application of the term “goon” came from a description of physical play in an era that focuses more on run and gun, three point shooting, and gaudy offensive numbers.

Like it or not, I think Kevin Reynolds’ firing is a microcosm of life in 2019. Kids are soft. People are easily offended. And there has to be retribution or punishment for literally every action that a person does if somebody doesn’t agree with it. I don’t think that we’ll ever know the full story, but I think it’s a combination of those three things.

Do you know why Micah Till was dismissed from NC State?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post

I honestly don’t know. Is it public? I never heard the story.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    When asked by the media, he refuses to talk about it. "Violation of team rules" is what NC State put out but without a legal record it means they were university or program violations. In my experience, that could be all sorts of things like repeated failed drug tests, code of conduct violations that didn't result in police charges, missing team meetings or practices, or even just pissing off the coaches to the point of being cut from the team. Honestly, it could be a mix of any of those too. Usually it comes down to their production being lesser than the other distractions.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011