Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCAA, GLIAC and Ferris

Blog Entries
    Contribute to D2

Default Re: NCAA, GLIAC and Ferris

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    Competitive advantage is a subjective term and shouldn't even be a factor in issuing a punishment. The bottom line is Ferris cheated and should be punished. Otherwise what the hell does the NCAA have rules for?!? This could set a bad precedent if the NCAA gets this wrong which I suspect they will.
    Oh I agree 100%. Can’t set that precedent. But I’m not ready to call them cheaters and have them get the death penalty over a back up player in mop up duty. If they win their last two games and still hang on to the #1 seed, you’ll get no argument from me on it being a giant load of crap. But they should still be in the playoffs if they win out.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    Everyone's looking for the NCAA and GLIAC to get Ferris out. Just beat us on the field and it won't matter.
    They can't beat us..hence the huge uproar. Do you really think the GV fanatics on here would be foaming at the mouth if this was a 5th string DT playing for Norhwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    I hope they get in the PO's and lose in the first round.
    If they get in and go deep, we will hear about how they cheated for the next 15 years.
    If they miss the PO's, we'll hear about how "the best team in D2" wasn't in the PO's for 15 years.
    100% correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Ferris self reported, officially.

To me, I hope the rules are followed. But at the end of the day, I’m not going to lose sleep over this particular situation, since it’s not like the “infraction” gave them any sort of a competitive advantage.
    Ohio State didn’t get a “competitive advantage” when some of their guys sold their Big Ten rings and other memorabilia, but we all saw how that turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Looter View Post
    They can't beat us..hence the huge uproar. Do you really think the GV fanatics on here would be foaming at the mouth if this was a 5th string DT playing for Norhwood?
    I doubt that has a lot to do with it. It’s more akin to schools like Ohio State breaking some rule as opposed to Eastern Michigan breaking the same rule; no one cares what EMU does, but Ohio State slipping up is big news.
    From inside the GV bubble, there’s no “foaming” going on; it’s more bemusement and eye-rolling at the ineptitude of Ferris’s compliance office than anything else.
    THIS is exactly why programs have compliance personnel, and I think Ferris’s punishment should be minor, but the compliance officer should definitely lose his/her job.

Quote Originally Posted by lutherd View Post
    From inside the GV bubble, there’s no “foaming” going on; it’s more bemusement and eye-rolling at the ineptitude of Ferris’s compliance office than anything else.
    THIS is exactly why programs have compliance personnel, and I think Ferris’s punishment should be minor, but the compliance officer should definitely lose his/her job.
    Well, sort of.

You're correct that there isn't any foaming. I would also submit that the bemusement is at the weakness of the NCAA and the GLIAC to enforce their own rules. As for any eye-rolling, it is at the fact that the staff in question is "at it again".

I don't care about this because I think they "gained an advantage" with the athlete in question. I care about it because, AGAIN, anyone who thinks this incident is isolated is ABSOLUTELY KIDDING THEMSELVES. It's not a reach to assert that they've gained an advantage with other players that DO make a difference.

Case in point: With this same kid, I have it on good authority that FSU staff visited him before he had a release from Akron. That's another violation...why didn't they turn themselves in for that? You honestly expect me to believe that both their staff AND their compliance office don't know the rules? Give me a break. It isn't ineptitude...it's knowing the rules can be skirted with nearly no chance of repercussion. Once that is accepted, it's pretty hard to buy that there isn't at least one difference-maker on that roster that was gained via a rule bend.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Everyone's looking for the NCAA and GLIAC to get Ferris out. Just beat us on the field and it won't matter.
    Actually, no. I haven't read many or anyone asking for Xerris to miss the POs as a result of the rules violation. I myself want to see the team eliminated by being taken care of on the field. However, there are rules, and TA is the head coach. So yes, I am looking for some accountability with compliance with rules. This wasn't the first time and this one is really cut and dry. So, point fingers all you want, but for me, it is about the coach. And it will still matter even when Xerris is beaten on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by The Looter View Post
    Yup!

Oh I agree 100%. Can’t set that precedent. But I’m not ready to call them cheaters and have them get the death penalty over a back up player in mop up duty. If they win their last two games and still hang on to the #1 seed, you’ll get no argument from me on it being a giant load of crap. But they should still be in the playoffs if they win out.
    agree...i am hoping gvsu can make a deep run this year and if they do i dont want it to be because a possibly better team was disqualified over a technicality...bring em on

Yeah Ferris is really good. I hope they set it up for FSU and GV to play in round 1 and GV wins.

Could not agree more..so what Ferris broke a few rules in recruiting the kid and letting him play and possibly D Q in the kid for his career...lets play it on the field...providing we can both get there first!! No easy games let for GVSU for sure!

Is there that much difference in the administration of the GLIAC and the RMAC?

https://rmacsports.org/news/2016/10/...inkdata=396184

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Is there that much difference in the administration of the GLIAC and the RMAC?

https://rmacsports.org/news/2016/10/...inkdata=396184
    So it took them about a year to impose the penalty? 2015... date on article is 2016?

This article says the school discovered the issue and reported it in July. The ruling came down in late October. So I guess it took 3 or 4 months.

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/CS...399573021.html

This article says the school discovered the issue and reported it in July. The ruling came down in late October. So I guess it took 3 or 4 months.

everyone loves the good old forfeits after the season

Missed it. So it was 3 maybe 4 months. Though the season was complete, so in a sense, no need to get a speedy resolution. Interesting that this was more or less a clear oversight. Xerris is/was a known issue. By this I mean at CSU, the classes were mis-categorized and no one at the school saw this. In Xerris case, it is a known rule and they had a player that some at first determined was eligible even when said player was informed by another school that he had to sit a year first to play......Looks like we keep waiting. Still not clear as to why the school changed their mind about the player's status

Blog Entries

In 2015, Bowie St. used an ineligible player in the opening 5 games. They self reported, and the CIAA and NCAA imposed the nullification penalties. Bowie still made the POs, but I’m not sure if the penalties resulted in them dropping a spot.

Look for the same to happen to FSU, and they get the #2 seed provided they win Saturday.

WHat happens to the player?

17. Default Re: NCAA, GLIAC and Ferris

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    WHat happens to the player?
    Per the NCAA handbook that young man is done playing football period. DQ ed because of lack of someone at Ferris following the rules. The young man was advised by other schools that he would have to sit a year, Ferris told him otherwise. In the end I really hope the kid gets a break and the penalty is on the school and NOT on the young man. Kids make mistakes, coaches should know better.

In 2015, Bowie St. used an ineligible player in the opening 5 games. They self reported, and the CIAA and NCAA imposed the nullification penalties. Bowie still made the POs, but I’m not sure if the penalties resulted in them dropping a spot.

Look for the same to happen to FSU, and they get the #2 seed provided they win Saturday.
    My recollection was that Bowie State dropped to the #6 seed after nullification penalties were applied. When I was writing for a different site, I analyzed the entire Bowie State fiasco (apologies for the formatting; apparently, articles from three years ago weren't properly formatted as they were when I first posted these stories):

The initial report of Bowie State's problems

An analysis of the impact of Bowie State nullification

Bowie State nullifies five games
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12