Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Default Re: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I mean if you are talking 7-10 years down the line, then yes, strong possiblity.
    Not like conference realignment is going to happen next week. I do think the issues the Big 12 faced recently and in 2010 are going to reappear.

Quote Originally Posted by gruesome View Post
    Pretty much this. Reisman always wanted to be a D1 basketball coach, but the only way that was going to happen is for him to take the entire University D1. Time passed him by there, but it has been vocalized at events, to alumni, and throughout the campus and student media that it is a focus. The task force, consultant group, etc. was all for D1 glory.

To your other point, Dottavio is leaving, and I believe it is in at least some part due to the D1 talk. I also believe there are underlying things that are not and will not be publicly reported (aka rumors). I've said on this board that I think some are growing tired of the D1 talk with no measurable action and desperate pleas to join the likes of the WAC just for the sole sake of being a D1 school. SLC isn't expanding anytime soon and Tarleton isn't getting that invitation until they do.

To another point, Reisman and Dottavio are not exactly best friends. There was certainly some friction between the two and I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the move to D1. It cannot be denied that the $28+ million spent on The Lonn was a major decision based on moving to D1.
    All excellent points. To the bolded point, the Southland chose Corpus and Central Ark over Tarleton in 2004 supposedly because of facilities. Since then the campus master plans have included enhanced facilities and a stated goal of D1. The increased fees and the improvements to the stadium, show that we are willing to put our money where our mouth is. Specifically committing that money to the football stadium over a new arena shows that me (and others) that Tarleton intends to keep football. Likely something the Southland likes to see.

The Southland is based in Dallas, they know who/what Tarleton is, and older news pieces point to the commissioner saying that we would be a good fit for their conference. We've played games against Sam, SFA, Northwestern State, McNeese, and a neutral site game against ACU in Frisco (a few miles from the SLC headquarters).
    With that said, the commissioner serves at the whim of the university presidents and who knows where we sit with them. Reading on AnyGivenSaturday (the FCS board) The league's perception took a hit with the recent D2 move ups. The Eastern schools may not want another Texas school. The Texas Schools may see themselves better than Tarleton.

Dottavio talks about potential D1 move in this piece from a year ago. It didn't age well since he adamantly denies retirement
    http://texannews.net/dl-study-points...vio-stays-put/
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

3. Default Re: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    All excellent points. To the bolded point, the Southland chose Corpus and Central Ark over Tarleton in 2004 supposedly because of facilities. Since then the campus master plans have included enhanced facilities and a stated goal of D1. The increased fees and the improvements to the stadium, show that we are willing to put our money where our mouth is. Specifically committing that money to the football stadium over a new arena shows that me (and others) that Tarleton intends to keep football. Likely something the Southland likes to see.

The Southland is based in Dallas, they know who/what Tarleton is, and older news pieces point to the commissioner saying that we would be a good fit for their conference. We've played games against Sam, SFA, Northwestern State, McNeese, and a neutral site game against ACU in Frisco (a few miles from the SLC headquarters).
    With that said, the commissioner serves at the whim of the university presidents and who knows where we sit with them. Reading on AnyGivenSaturday (the FCS board) The league's perception took a hit with the recent D2 move ups. The Eastern schools may not want another Texas school. The Texas Schools may see themselves better than Tarleton.

Dottavio talks about potential D1 move in this piece from a year ago. It didn't age well since he adamantly denies retirement
    http://texannews.net/dl-study-points...vio-stays-put/
    Tarleton, with continued facilities improvements, would certainly be the logical choice for the Southland's next round of expansion. As many have said on this forum, Stephenville (with the addition of the Fort Worth campus) would give the SLC a DFW presence that was lost with UTA (if anything was really lost there at all). Dottavio played it well during his tenure here tempering Reisman who would have jumped at the first D1 offer just for his own sake.

From a facilities standpoint, there is still a great deal of work to do to get the rest of the facilities, sans The Lonn and Wisdom, up to D1 standards. Wisdom isn't bad but won't be the shining star of the SLC, Cecil Ballew would easily be one of if not the worst baseball stadium in the conference, and the softball stadium would need some upgrades to increase capacity at the very least. I know those things are in the 2020 plan, but they're still a long ways off in terms of funding. The AD put all of its money for the last 10 years into Wisdom upgrades and all of Mike Myers' money into The Lonn. The result is success on the basketball court, volleyball court, and football field and mediocrity in softball, baseball, track and field, tennis, and golf (with the loss of Jerry Don Doyle). (Doyle's tenure as golf coach will likely be unrivaled to any of his future successors.)

Conger, Doyle, Ponder, and Lance Drake were/are, in my opinion, exceptional coaches to be able to succeed where and how they did with the budgets they've had. Imagine if Conger's squad would have had twice the budget it did and the same with the other guys!

All of that to say, I think Dottavio likely saw that building on the education side would bring in more students, increase the AD's coffers, and give the university a greater opportunity to move to D1 within a decade. Unfortunately, that is far beyond Reisman's timeline. He wants a D1 athletic program yesterday. If TSU had been where they are now 10 years ago when the SLC was courting UIW, ACU, HBU, etc. then Tarleton would likely be competing regularly in the SLC today. The cards didn't fall right, and that's where the university remains. D1 will happen because the AD wants it to happen, but a lot of the timing may very well depend on his new boss.

Tarleton, with continued facilities improvements, would certainly be the logical choice for the Southland's next round of expansion. As many have said on this forum, Stephenville (with the addition of the Fort Worth campus) would give the SLC a DFW presence that was lost with UTA (if anything was really lost there at all). Dottavio played it well during his tenure here tempering Reisman who would have jumped at the first D1 offer just for his own sake.

From a facilities standpoint, there is still a great deal of work to do to get the rest of the facilities, sans The Lonn and Wisdom, up to D1 standards. Wisdom isn't bad but won't be the shining star of the SLC, Cecil Ballew would easily be one of if not the worst baseball stadium in the conference, and the softball stadium would need some upgrades to increase capacity at the very least. I know those things are in the 2020 plan, but they're still a long ways off in terms of funding. The AD put all of its money for the last 10 years into Wisdom upgrades and all of Mike Myers' money into The Lonn. The result is success on the basketball court, volleyball court, and football field and mediocrity in softball, baseball, track and field, tennis, and golf (with the loss of Jerry Don Doyle). (Doyle's tenure as golf coach will likely be unrivaled to any of his future successors.)

Conger, Doyle, Ponder, and Lance Drake were/are, in my opinion, exceptional coaches to be able to succeed where and how they did with the budgets they've had. Imagine if Conger's squad would have had twice the budget it did and the same with the other guys!

All of that to say, I think Dottavio likely saw that building on the education side would bring in more students, increase the AD's coffers, and give the university a greater opportunity to move to D1 within a decade. Unfortunately, that is far beyond Reisman's timeline. He wants a D1 athletic program yesterday. If TSU had been where they are now 10 years ago when the SLC was courting UIW, ACU, HBU, etc. then Tarleton would likely be competing regularly in the SLC today. The cards didn't fall right, and that's where the university remains. D1 will happen because the AD wants it to happen, but a lot of the timing may very well depend on his new boss.
    If Reisman truly would jump at any D1 offer still, he's a dang shortsighted fool and I'm concerned about the future of Tarleton athletics

5. Default Re: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes88 View Post
    If Reisman truly would jump at any D1 offer still, he's a dang shortsighted fool and I'm concerned about the future of Tarleton athletics
    Accurate description!

Accurate description!
    I thought so. A D1 move must be carefully thought out. Don't just jump at the first offer, that's how you wind up in the WAC without a home for football.

7. Default Re: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Josh Criswell published this for the Huntsville Item after the SLC Media Day: https://www.itemonline.com/sports/co...466c83322.html Looks like the SLC isn't interested in expanding any time soon. No surprise there.

Josh Criswell published this for the Huntsville Item after the SLC Media Day: https://www.itemonline.com/sports/co...466c83322.html Looks like the SLC isn't interested in expanding any time soon. No surprise there.
    As I already stated. *door closed*

Next topic.

Translation: "We aren't interested in expanding until we are, and we won't expand until we do."

In other news, Texas Summers are hot and water is wet

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Translation: "We aren't interested in expanding until we are, and we won't expand until we do."
    “While you never say never — and the last few rounds of realignment have put us in a position where we need to be ready — it's a strange issue where you have to be reactive and proactive all at the same time,” Burnett said. “We certainly inform our members what might be out there with the surrounding landscape and what's out on the horizon. But right now, I think we feel content where we are and don't feel any kind of urgency to expand beyond where we are now.

"We need to be ready" = "we have targets if we get poached"

"reactivate and proactive at the same time" = Find the right balance of flirting and friend zone to keep schools interested, but actually committing until other options are done.

We Inform our members about what's out there = Tarleton fans won't shutup.
    WE dont feel any urgancy = Boys it aint closing time yet and there is no need to saddle a bad decision.
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    “While you never say never — and the last few rounds of realignment have put us in a position where we need to be ready — it's a strange issue where you have to be reactive and proactive all at the same time,” Burnett said. “We certainly inform our members what might be out there with the surrounding landscape and what's out on the horizon. But right now, I think we feel content where we are and don't feel any kind of urgency to expand beyond where we are now.

"We need to be ready" = "we have targets if we get poached"

"reactivate and proactive at the same time" = Find the right balance of flirting and friend zone to keep schools interested, but actually committing until other options are done.

We Inform our members about what's out there = Tarleton fans won't shutup.
    WE dont feel any urgancy = Boys it aint closing time yet and there is no need to saddle a bad decision.
    Guys do this all the time.....
    Right now Tarleton is the chubby pretty faced girl that gets booty called at 2am after the dudee strike out at the club with the really hot chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Guys do this all the time.....
    Right now Tarleton is the chubby pretty faced girl that gets booty called at 2am after the dudee strike out at the club with the really hot chicks.
    Remember Boohaha we are talking about the Southland Conference. Not exactly the stud in D1.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Remember Boohaha we are talking about the Southland Conference. Not exactly the stud in D1.
    Yeah but this is Tarletons crush man. I mean the WAC is ok but there's a reason they're always dining alone.

You are spot on in your assessment of the secondary sports at Tarleton. Recent history shows that the AD is NOT looking for qualified candidates with experience that may require a larger salary. It appears to me lets see who I can get and cut costs at the same time.

Baseball hires an assistant. Softball hires assistant at Tarleton. Golf hires an assistant at Tarleton. Tennis hires an assistant at Tarleton. If I was a qualified coach in these sports why would even bother putting in my resume there.

So, I'm left with giving the AD a C- as far as overall performance even though FB VB and BB are competitive.

16. Default Re: Could Tarleton Be Joining Dixie?

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    You are spot on in your assessment of the secondary sports at Tarleton. Recent history shows that the AD is NOT looking for qualified candidates with experience that may require a larger salary. It appears to me lets see who I can get and cut costs at the same time.

Baseball hires an assistant. Softball hires assistant at Tarleton. Golf hires an assistant at Tarleton. Tennis hires an assistant at Tarleton. If I was a qualified coach in these sports why would even bother putting in my resume there.

So, I'm left with giving the AD a C- as far as overall performance even though FB VB and BB are competitive.
    Yeah, it's an unfortunate reality of most athletic programs across the nation. The bottom line is that it's quite obvious where the money goes: Wisdom has seen major upgrades, football stadium (obviously), and the volleyball coach gets a promotion into the AD's administrative cabinet. FB, BB, and volleyball will remain as TSU's big 3 sports until some serious finances are put into the facilities and budgets of the other sports.

Last I checked, the TSU women's golf team was the most successful team over the last two decades and had a paltry budget. Golf and tennis are cheap sports to operate which means bigger drops in the bucket go much further in those sports. $500 to women's golf buys a good deal of travel to an elite tournament, the same towards the football program buys new decals. Shift a few thousand dollars to those smaller programs and see what happens to their schedules and ability to develop down the road.
    Last edited by gruesome; 07-24-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234