Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dixie State considering a move to D1

Default Dixie State considering a move to D1

x
    Last edited by North Ala Screwdriver; 10-30-2018 at 05:19 PM.

2. Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

Rut roh, can Mesa be far behind? That has been a 'dream' of some admin officials. Dixie has also wanted to do this for awhile. I did not read the feasibility study, but money is a huge issue regardless for any D2 team.

So, if the WAC wants to go FCS for football, I wonder what schools like New Mexico State think? Don't get too comfy, RMAC.

Total athletic expenses would zoom to over $11 million from the current $5.8 million.

Dixie is making significant upgrades to the football stadium; adding a topnotch press deck in the near future. The WAC doesn't play football. Dixie would have to play as an independent like New Mexico State which plays at the FBS level. The move makes no sense. Dixie can barely compete at the DII level, not at the FCS, and certainly not at the FBS level. I don't think the that Big Sky conference is looking for any new conference members if Dixie is thinking about playing at that level. A move to DI is not gonna happen anytime in the near future.

Ha!! They think football can go from $500K now to $750K in FCS operational costs.

No.Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Dixie is making significant upgrades to the football stadium; adding a topnotch press deck in the near future. The WAC doesn't play football. Dixie would have to play as an independent like New Mexico State which plays at the FBS level. The move makes no sense. Dixie can barely compete at the DII level, not at the FCS, and certainly not at the FBS level. I don't think the that Big Sky conference is looking for any new conference members if Dixie is thinking about playing at that level. A move to DI is not gonna happen anytime in the near future.
    It says that the WAC wants to add back football at the FCS level. That would make sense for the WAC's long-term outlook.

8. Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

From an NCAA perspective, Dixie State already meets the NCAA Division I FCS minimum of 14 sports, therefore it would not need to add any sports for eligibility purposes. However, for membership into the WAC, one of two things needs to happen: 1) football becomes a sport that is sponsored by the WAC; or 2) Dixie State would need to add a men’s sport to meet the WAC entry requirements. The deadline for the NCAA Division I application is June 1 each year and applying would require Dixie State to have a membership offer from a Division I conference; meet the sports participation minimum; pay an application fee of $1.7 million; and submit application with copy of feasibility study and Division I strategic plan. Once approved by the NCAA, it is a four-year process for full Division I membership status, which is outlined within this report.

WHY GO DIVISION I
    As Dixie State University considers whether or not to make the move to Division I, it is important to understand why the move up might make sense.
    Athletics is the “front porch” of the University, through which the public often forms their opinions of the school. The move to Division I would immediately make Dixie State more relevant to the community and to potential students in Utah, Nevada, California and beyond. In addition, brand awareness of the University’s expanded academic portfolio and its athletics program would significantly increase with a move to Division I, a key component of the Dixie State University strategic plan.
    Dixie State University’s strong undergraduate enrollment goals would be bolstered by the move to Division I. Today’s high school students typically desire a traditional college experience, including Division I athletics. Located in a favorable climate, Dixie State University would be able to take advantage of the greater national exposure it would have through men’s basketball television appearances and improved local media coverage. With its expanding academic offerings; increased exposure in technology and innovation; commitment to Division I athletics as part of the University’s overall mission and its use as a marketing tool; DSU could quickly make an impact, improving its image and exposure. DSU will be able to compete nationally in the classroom, in the research lab and on the playing field.
    At the Division I level, there would be an opportunity to host conference tournaments, creating greater awareness of the University and the St. George community. As a Division I institution, Dixie State could maximize its venues and its revenue opportunities.
    From a financial perspective, Dixie State can make the transition into Division I relatively smoothly. With facilities already at acceptable Division I standards, Dixie State would need increases primarily in scholarships and staffing to become a competitive Division I institution. This added expense is projected to be offset by increased revenue from NCAA Division I revenue sources.
    Last edited by North Ala Screwdriver; 10-30-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Additional info

Haven't seen you post for a while. I was hoping you were ok!!

From what I have heard this is a done deal. Announcement coming in the next few weeks.

11. Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

. The WAC has confirmed to Collegiate Consulting it is initiating a study in the Fall 2018 to explore the options and opportunities of starting a FCS football conference

Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    It says that the WAC wants to add back football at the FCS level. That would make sense for the WAC's long-term outlook.
    Current WAC members are (1) California Baptist University, (2) California State University-Bakersfield, (2) Chicago State University, (3) Grand Canyon University, (4) University of Missouri–Kansas City, (5) Seattle University, (6) University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, (7) Utah Valley University and (8) New Mexico State University. The Aggies from NM State have a legit DI stadium. The others don't have anything even resembling a football field. But maybe they can play flag football out front of their admin buildings.

Current WAC members are (1) California Baptist University, (2) California State University-Bakersfield, (2) Chicago State University, (3) Grand Canyon University, (4) University of Missouri–Kansas City, (5) Seattle University, (6) University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, (7) Utah Valley University and (8) New Mexico State University. The Aggies from NM State have a legit DI stadium. The others don't have anything even resembling a football field. But maybe they can play flag football out front of their admin buildings.
    No doubt.

That said, the WAC and Dixie would not be saying and doing these things unless some interest has been expressed by other schools. I can't see NMSU moving down, but I could see CWU, Dixie, Mesa, CSUP, possibly Mines, Asuza all moving up. And maybe this is the opening for Grand Canyon to start football, as they wanted a couple of years ago. Maybe even a couple of Big Sky teams move out.

Where there is smoke, there is fire....

No doubt.

That said, the WAC and Dixie would not be saying and doing these things unless some interest has been expressed by other schools. I can't see NMSU moving down, but I could see CWU, Dixie, Mesa, CSUP, possibly Mines, Asuza all moving up. And maybe this is the opening for Grand Canyon to start football, as they wanted a couple of years ago. Maybe even a couple of Big Sky teams move out.

Smoke? That's just hippies in Gunnison smoking weed.

Smoke? That's just hippies in Gunnison smoking weed.
    I knew if I tee'd one up, you would smack it!

ha!! They think football can go from $500k now to $750k in fcs operational costs.

No.way.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

No doubt.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

CWU - $6,947,752
    DSU - $6,721,281
    CMU - $9,198,664
    CSUP - $7,589,933
    CSM - $8,644,201
    APU - $11,264,282

These are the ATHLETIC budgets for these schools. Not the football budgets. Where would they find the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

CWU - $6,947,752
    DSU - $6,721,281
    CMU - $9,198,664
    CSUP - $7,589,933
    CSM - $8,644,201
    APU - $11,264,282

These are the ATHLETIC budgets for these schools. Not the football budgets. Where would they find the money?
    I'm not saying anyone SHOULD do it. But logic goes out the window when the decision is backed up by an expensive 'feasibility study'. If logic was the determining factor, Northern Colorado would not have moved. Neither would Abilene. etc, etc.

But administrators in this situation only think about money - or, should I say, the potential of revenue - and don't really look at the history.

Plus, Dixie looks at its dreadful travel prospects in the RMAC and wonders if there is a better way. I'm sure CWU and Azusa are the same way. I certainly would not blame them for feeling dismayed by the GNAC situation.

Another article says Dixie would be ok being independent if the WAC deal does not pan out. So it looks pretty serious to me.

I'm not saying anyone SHOULD do it. But logic goes out the window when the decision is backed up by an expensive 'feasibility study'. If logic was the determining factor, Northern Colorado would not have moved. Neither would Abilene. etc, etc.

But administrators in this situation only think about money - or, should I say, the potential of revenue - and don't really look at the history.

Plus, Dixie looks at its dreadful travel prospects in the RMAC and wonders if there is a better way. I'm sure CWU and Azusa are the same way. I certainly would not blame them for feeling dismayed by the GNAC situation.

Another article says Dixie would be ok being independent if the WAC deal does not pan out. So it looks pretty serious to me.
    Hey sorry I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at the WAC and any of those schools that think they're "D1."

Northern Colorado made a huge mistake. The problem was that their president said they wouldn't have to spend much more money in the FCS. Their president was wrong. It's all about money. They are spending $17,289,718 per year to be embarrassed.

Those RMAC schools have mid-range D2 budgets. They would have to spend $8-11 million more per year to get to the level of being embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Hey sorry I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at the WAC and any of those schools that think they're "D1."

Northern Colorado made a huge mistake. The problem was that their president said they wouldn't have to spend much more money in the FCS. Their president was wrong. It's all about money. They are spending $17,289,718 per year to be embarrassed.

Those RMAC schools have mid-range D2 budgets. They would have to spend $8-11 million more per year to get to the level of being embarrassed.

The only school that has made some noises about moving up is Mesa, and apparently now Dixie (not old school RMAC no no big deal if the Blazers bolt). That's what Mesa player's parents told me a while back. Every other team including CSUP and Mines are absolutely happy to play at the DII level, where they belong. Much better to be a big fish in a small RMAC pond, than to be a small fish in a big FCS pond.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast