Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 121 to 135 of 135

Thread: Dixie State considering a move to D1

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    417
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    11075

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Won't that just make the players tougher?
    That was the idea back in the 60's when I played prep ball. Used to cramp up for hours every evening after practice.
    Sprinkles are for winners!

  2. #122

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by GWolf View Post
    That was the idea back in the 60's when I played prep ball. Used to cramp up for hours every evening after practice.
    Our weight room is under the home bleachers at the stadium. So there is running water. But, I would prefer a national title like the one Pueblo has over running water in the weight room.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,369
    Rep Power
    177110

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Our weight room is under the home bleachers at the stadium. So there is running water. But, I would prefer a national title like the one Pueblo has over running water in the weight room.
    I think most would make that trade. Simply poor that they built a brand new building and cut corners like that though. Would've been much cheaper to do while everything was dug up, won't be a possible addition now.

  4. #124

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    I think most would make that trade. Simply poor that they built a brand new building and cut corners like that though. Would've been much cheaper to do while everything was dug up, won't be a possible addition now.
    If the worst thing about the addition is lack of bathrooms or drinking fountain then it’s a pretty good addition. We got at least one water bottle a year through the program or athletic department when I played, to go along with the ten others you pick up at booths around campus periodically. There wasn’t a whole lot of room where they built it, they probably asked Hedrick do you want two more platforms or do you want a bathroom when there’s one between the weight room door and the door to the field house?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,369
    Rep Power
    177110

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post
    If the worst thing about the addition is lack of bathrooms or drinking fountain then it’s a pretty good addition. We got at least one water bottle a year through the program or athletic department when I played, to go along with the ten others you pick up at booths around campus periodically. There wasn’t a whole lot of room where they built it, they probably asked Hedrick do you want two more platforms or do you want a bathroom when there’s one between the weight room door and the door to the field house?
    If pretty good is worth it then sure. A silly decision at the end of the day is all.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    If pretty good is worth it then sure. A silly decision at the end of the day is all.
    The entire team in one locker room, double the training room size not including the two new giant rehab tubs, new laundry system, expand the weight room.... I also think the party deck above the weight room is one of the best spots to watch a game. None of that happens with the addition.

    The bathroom is probably about 75 feet from the Leomiti center door, it may actually be a shorter trip for the female athletes than the old setup and keeps the others sports completely out of the football locker room. Get the water guy to deliver a few more of the 10 gallon jugs they deliver to the field house.

  7. Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    It says that the WAC wants to add back football at the FCS level. That would make sense for the WAC's long-term outlook.
    The WAC wanting to sponsoring football sounds like a plan. Hope it comes to fruition. At the FCS level, what is their game plan? Do they want to invite existing FCS schools from the Big Sky Conf or Southland Conf? Or start with Div II schools who want to transition to the next level? The majority of their current members do not have football programs. Don't think that NMSU will want to drop down from Div I. Whatever the League decides to do sounds intriguing.

  8. Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    They went 18-12 in their three years in the RMAC. That's far from suckage.
    Quite true. No cigar, but some respectability.

  9. Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    I live in StG where the average age is approachin' triple digits. FCS independent? I figure it'll be a novelty for awhile then, once the losses start pilin' up, the few who rallied around the idea will reconsider and stay home.

    DSU fired a coach and staff, for a reason we'll never know, who were takin' the program in a positive direction, and hired a JC coach to take them to FCS D-I. I don't understand the reasonin'.

    Ridiculous decision all the way around. 'nuff said.
    St George sounds like a healthy environment to reside in for the Geriatric Generation. Lost Wages south for gambling vices & top notch skiing north around Salt Lake City area. Having quality FCS football to watch locally is definitely a plus.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    St George sounds like a healthy environment to reside in for the Geriatric Generation. Lost Wages south for gambling vices & top notch skiing north around Salt Lake City area. Having quality FCS football to watch locally is definitely a plus.
    I've talked with a few D-II coaches I know and all agree football at Dixie will be history in 3-4 years. Just like SUU in Cedar City, it's a tough location for regular team visits. Neither FCS nor FBS will/would work. Remote and the StG airport is closin' for repairs Apr. - Aug. 2019. Kinda surprised with their NLI signin's. I'm guessin' a lot of kids have stars in their eyes. jmo.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    45,330
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    I've talked with a few D-II coaches I know and all agree football at Dixie will be history in 3-4 years
    No football! Well, then I'm not moving there!

  12. #132

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    No football! Well, then I'm not moving there!
    You could always drive to UNLV games.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    8,417
    Rep Power
    669449

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    I've talked with a few D-II coaches I know and all agree football at Dixie will be history in 3-4 years. Just like SUU in Cedar City, it's a tough location for regular team visits. Neither FCS nor FBS will/would work. Remote and the StG airport is closin' for repairs Apr. - Aug. 2019. Kinda surprised with their NLI signin's. I'm guessin' a lot of kids have stars in their eyes. jmo.
    D2 coaches are certainly known to be soothsayers.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    I've talked with a few D-II coaches I know and all agree football at Dixie will be history in 3-4 years. Just like SUU in Cedar City, it's a tough location for regular team visits. Neither FCS nor FBS will/would work. Remote and the StG airport is closin' for repairs Apr. - Aug. 2019. Kinda surprised with their NLI signin's. I'm guessin' a lot of kids have stars in their eyes. jmo.
    No way.Dixie's administration just commits to the program and in 3-4 years they would cut it. Btw SUU went 7-1 in the Big Sky just two years ago with higher admission standards. So success is possible in the Beehive State.
    Last edited by mountaineermagic; 02-11-2019 at 08:26 PM.

  15. #135

    Default Re: Dixie State considering a move to D1

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    No way.Dixie's administration just commits to the program and in 3-4 years they would cut it. Btw SUU went 7-1 in the Big Sky just two years ago with higher admission standards. So success is possible in the Beehive State.
    I live in StG and few folks supported the team at the D-II level. D-I won't make a difference, imo. And yes, SUU has had success in the Big Sky, but that doesn't translate to DSU havin' success as an FCS Independent just cuz they're in UT and only 50 miles away.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •