Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NSIC Pick'Em Week #10 - Chat

Contribute to D2

Default NSIC Pick'Em Week #10 - Chat

Some tougher picks this week than the last few. I've had two perfect weeks in a row. Highly doubt I'm going to get a 3rd consecutive perfect week. Also came real close to picking a home team sweep, but the St. Cloud @ Minot matchup is just too lopsided for me to pull the trigger.

Sioux Falls at Minnesota State-Mankato - So right off the bat we have my game of the week. The USF/Kato matchup has been a tight contest every year except for 2015 (and we're not going to talk about that game, lol.) This game features the best running attacks in the NSIC featuring Nate Gun (968 yards, 15 TDs), Colton Myles (645 yards, 5 TDs) and Gabe Watson (1702 yards, 23 TDs.) It also features the NSIC's #2 rushing defense (Mankato 694 yards) and the #4 rushing defense (USF 1040 yards.) Both teams are more middle of the pack through the air (Mankato 2135 yards, USF 1755 yards.) So are the teams going to move to more of a passing attack, or will they still try and keep their identity? Clearly, Mankato is the favorite to win so that's why I'm picking them. However, I think USF has the ability to pull this one off if they don't play sloppy like they did in their three losses. If the same Coo team shows up that did against Augie, Minot, Moorhead and UIU then I think we're in for a fun ball game. If an uninspired Coo team that repeats their early season special teams fiascoes gets off the bus, then it might turn into a long afternoon. Because year in and year out this is the toughest game of the season for USF, I'm guessing they're going to be revved up to play. So go out there and wreck my perfect pick streak Coo!

Wayne State at Upper Iowa - Overall the Peacocks just looked bad last Saturday. In their Jeckyll and Hyde season, I'm thinking I got to see the Hyde team. That makes this a tough game to pick. Wayne hasn't had a great year, but they've been more consistent. I think this one could go either way. I'm going to go with UIU simply because they're playing at home and I think it will be more likely that the Jeckyll team will show up.

Winona State at Augustana - Another tough game to pick. Both teams are currently in the running for a MWB berth, but the loser will likely be eliminated from contention. In the last decade or so Winona has been the stronger team. Some early season injuries seems to have taken the wind out of their sails, so to speak, and they've struggled in games I wouldn't have thought they would have struggled in. Augie overall has had a pretty successful season, losing only to Mankato, USF and Duluth. I'm thinking that the Warriors will play tough, but by the end of the game the Viking air assault will be too much and they'll pull away.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Bemidji State - Another game that has MWB implications with the loser pretty much being knocked out of the possibility of going to Missouri in December. Both teams have a 6-3 record. However, I think they only look even on paper. On the field I expect the Green Beavers to handle the Dragons without too much trouble.

Minnesota-Crookston at Northern State - Northern State almost lost to Mary last Saturday. Crookston will be a tougher opponent for them. Will the Golden Eagles rebound from the pummeling they took last weekend or will they suffer from a hangover this Saturday? I'm not sure. I'm taking the "safe" pick with the Wolves at home, but this could turn into a closer game than NSU fans would like to see.

Concordia-St. Paul at Southwest Minnesota State - Both teams are sitting at 4-5. However, their arrival at this record has taken two different paths. Concordia started the season looking like a contender, but has lost much of their luster. SMSU went the other direction, struggling early but starting to put some things together. So I'm going to go with the hot hand and pick the Mustangs at home.

Mary at Minnesota-Duluth - Not much to say about this one. I don't think it will be pretty.

St. Cloud State at Minot State - My one visiting team pick this week. Minot is young and struggling. St. Cloud is a solid team in the middle of the conference, but they have a stout defense and a physical OL. I feel the Huskies won't have too much of a problem coming away with the win.

Default Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #10 - Chat

Sioux Falls at Minnesota State-Mankato – With the 12th best first down offense in the nation and an impressive resume this season, I look for the Mavericks to defeat USF at home… At the beginning of the year, this was a game I had circled as one to watch but with the Coo performance so far, I don’t think this it. I will give props to USF though, having the 9th best Total Offense in the nation. MSUM (-6)

Wayne State at Upper Iowa – UIU comes home after two weeks on the road and back to back losses to beat a fairly weak WSC team. Really like Patterson the Sr LB, 3rd in the conference in total tackles. Lammers the QB has 2nd best yards per game of total offense in the conference. Once again, UIU is home. UIU (-3)

Winona State at Augustana – Augustana is on a 3 game winning streak, and will likely extend that to 5 games to finish the season. The QB Saddler is a stud, had watched in person this year as well. Very balanced offensed (46%-53%), while still having the best pass offense in the NSIC averaging 305 yards per game. Sturdy O Line for Augie, and not impressed with WSUs DLine at all. AU (-3)

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Bemidji State – Bemidji carries the 6th best Turnover margin in the nation. They protect the ball very well. As I have also stated in previous posts they are one of the best teams I have watched this year and their OLine are true hogs. Heavy first down run team, 81%. Especially the natural advantage of being at home, I have the Beavers here. BSU (-6)

Minnesota-Crookston at Northern State – Will likely be one of the only people picking UMC again this week. NSU is 153rd in the nation in pass yards allowed. If Scott can stay healthy and we can get the ball into Stewart’s and Groebner’s hands through the air while mixing in a healthy running attack of Evans… Not every first and second down though. UMC can pull this one out, we will have to be disciplined though as NSU is one of the least penalized teams in the nation. UMC (-2)

Concordia-St. Paul at Southwest Minnesota State – Had a tough time picking this one for the sole purpose of how poor SMSUs OLine is… yes I understand this is coming from a UMC person who’s OLine is just as bad (but has allowed less sacks). CSPs Dobbs will likely be the player of the game as he had 4 sacks against UMC and will feast on the SMSU OLine. My key to the game for SMSU though is the weakness of CSPs kicking units, having allowed 5 blocked kicks and 3 blocked punts. If SMSU can get to the kicker consistently it’s over. SMSU (-2) *My game of the week*

Mary at Minnesota-Duluth – Duluth has the best Total Defense in the nation… The second best Time of Possession in the nation… Marauders are tied for 7th worst in the nation for INTs thrown. This is going to get out hand fast. UMD (-28)

St. Cloud State at Minot State- SCSU has been great this year. Losses against UMD and MSUM are inevitable. Love their attack with Lawhorn out of 11 personnel and Pistol backfield. They also carry the 3rd best rush defense in the NSIC. MiSU runs on first and second down about 65% of the time, I see them getting minimal yards and getting shut down early. SCSU (-13)

Killer analysis by both Tundra_Man and CrookstonsFinest! Always fun to read what people more knowledgeable than I am has to say! Keep up the good work!

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    Killer analysis by both Tundra_Man and CrookstonsFinest! Always fun to read what people more knowledgeable than I am has to say! Keep up the good work!

I have a hard enough time being sure that I picked all eight games.............

Thank you for the compliment! I really don't consider myself that knowledgeable. And if I ever start to feel that way I have a teenager to quickly remind me that I'm not.

Thank you!

If either of you is as thoughtful about financial planning or small combustion engine repair as you are at this...we should talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin44 View Post
    If either of you is as thoughtful about financial planning or small combustion engine repair as you are at this...we should talk.
    What's your Cyclinder Index?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    I agree with Zimmer on the UMD/Mary game.
    UMD 75-1 :)

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    CFL rules to get that one. Rouge.

It's responses like Zimmer's and yours that p.m.o. You want parity, but then ya don't. If a team is better than their opponent and wins, not a problem. But if a team is statistically not as good but wins, you all piss 'n moan. To to go that far is foolish and irresponsible, especially on the part of the fourth estate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViMF510wqWA
    Last edited by Clean Liver; 11-02-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    It's responses like Zimmer's and yours that p.m.o. You want parity, but then ya don't. If a team is better than their opponent and wins, not a problem. But if a team is statistically not as good but wins, you all piss 'n moan. To to go that far is foolish and irresponsible, especially on the part of the fourth estate.

Most people here celebrate a win by the down trodden teams. You should lighten up a bit. No harm was meant by Purple MM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Most people here celebrate a win by the down trodden teams. You should lighten up a bit. No harm was meant by Purple MM.
    I generally root for the underdogs, unless they're playing my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post

When did I say I want parity?? When did i piss and moan?? Stop making things up to fit your narrative and don't be so easily bothered. That's way worse than what you're complaining about. Be pissed all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Thank you for understanding the obvious :)

When did I say I want parity?? When did i piss and moan?? Stop making things up to fit your narrative and don't be so easily bothered. That's way worse than what you're complaining about. Be pissed all you want.
    Pickin' a score of 75-1 was childish and ignorant. Agreein' was equally so. Hardly humorous. Enjoy the game.

WSC leads UIU 28-21 with 12 min to go in the 3rd

WSC up 35-21 with 8:59 to go in 3rd

20. Default Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #10 - Chat

SMSU - CSP tied up 10-10 late in the second.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast