Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OT - Wt WBB

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    I know it’s just the first game of the season, however, this team has a lot of talent. After last season it was clear Wt needed to improve in several areas. Wt needed more speed, better shooting, and better athletes. Those needs were addressed. Braylun Dollar (6-0 freshman forward, Lubbock Monterey) is an outstanding athlete. Delaney Nix (5-8 freshman guard, Tahlequah Oklahoma) is a Lexy Hightower clone with better range. Lucy Burke (6-0 Jr. Guard, Melbourne Australia) is a good shooter. Most improved player appears to be Reagan Haynes. Shooting the ball much better with more range. There will be no more double teaming Hightower to stop the outside game. Did not get to see two girls, one of which is a starter, due to nagging injuries. Barring a major injury this team will make a deep playoff run.
    Still a very good team. If Spurgin plays good "D" and rebounds she will not need to score. Taylor is a force inside and a match up problem. If she stays out of foul trouble Wt can still make a deep run.
    Last edited by WTAMU1975; 11-13-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    We have a freshman that turned down Ivy League schools to play BB at WT. She had a 35 on her ACT and bumping 1600 on her SAT. WT grads have some of the highest % acceptance rates for medical and law school.
    If she turned down the Ivies to play at WT, there's more to the story. All things being equal, that simply doesn't happen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    If she turned down the Ivies to play at WT, there's more to the story. All things being equal, that simply doesn't happen. Ever.
    Agreed, there is definitely more to it than that.

Well, she basically decided to not stray too far from home. She didn't like the atmosphere nor the "attitude" of the people she ran into up there. That's what she told me. Maybe she told you something different.

I'll ask her if there's something more to the story next time I see her.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Well, she basically decided to not stray too far from home. She didn't like the atmosphere nor the "attitude" of the people she ran into up there. That's what she told me. Maybe she told you something different.

I'll ask her if there's something more to the story next time I see her.
    That would make sense.

That would make sense.
    I will see if I can get to a practice, maybe tomorrow, and ask her a bit moe about her decision to pass on Brown (or whichever schools it was) for WT. I do remember her mentioning BB was still a big deal, and the chance to play for a NC appealed to her.

Just finished watching the live stream of Wt - Mines game. Wt wins 84-73
    There is no substitute for shooting the ball well. Wt shot 50% inside and outside the arc.
    Also, they were 18 for 18 on free shots -- 100%
    Wt got out rebounded 37 - 32 and Mines had 17 offensive rebounds. For 19 second chance points.
    We do miss Parker, however, the shooting made up for being out rebounded.

Any info on Hightower? I was surprised to see her back in the game at all....

Quote Originally Posted by BuffAlum09 View Post
    Any info on Hightower? I was surprised to see her back in the game at all....
    It looked like an ankle. She was moving okay at the end of the game. No Parker no Hightower and the Lady Buffs still play well enough to beat Mines pretty easily on the road. Our defensive intensity was not quite at the level we displayed last week at home.

Wt outlasted MSU-Denver 66-63 in a game that was not as close as the score.
    Linden played about 20 min. and it's clear she will make a major contribution when fully recovered.
    Taylor is a matchup problem for anyone, needs to stay out of foul trouble. Taylor fouled
    out with 2 min. left and Spurgin did not come back in. It's clear the coach didn't trust her with the game on the line.
    Taylor's 5th foul was a highly questionable call. The announcers questioned it the on air. I am sure
    that is not the last time we will see that. Lucy Burke continues to play well. Regan Haynes continues
    to show Sr. leadership and plays the point well. Wt had the ball and a one-point lead with less than 10
    seconds to go. Lexy Hightower was fouled and made both ends of the one and one for the final margin.
    Chip is correct - Spurgin needs to grow up fast. Looking forward to the Thanksgiving games.

Wt outlasted MSU-Denver 66-63 in a game that was not as close as the score.
    Linden played about 20 min. and it's clear she will make a major contribution when fully recovered.
    Taylor is a matchup problem for anyone, needs to stay out of foul trouble. Taylor fouled
    out with 2 min. left and Spurgin did not come back in. It's clear the coach didn't trust her with the game on the line.
    Taylor's 5th foul was a highly questionable call. The announcers questioned it the on air. I am sure
    that is not the last time we will see that. Lucy Burke continues to play well. Regan Haynes continues
    to show Sr. leadership and plays the point well. Wt had the ball and a one-point lead with less than 10
    seconds to go. Lexy Hightower was fouled and made both ends of the one and one for the final margin.
    Chip is correct - Spurgin needs to grow up fast. Looking forward to the Thanksgiving games.
    Sorry, but this is an assumption & is wrong. With 2 minutes left we needed 5 shooters who could also play defense in order to cover the 5 shooters MSU brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by ras619 View Post
    Sorry, but this is an assumption & is wrong. With 2 minutes left we needed 5 shooters who could also play defense in order to cover the 5 shooters MSU brought in.
    If I remember correctly MSU's post was still in the game (I may be wrong) If she was, IMHO, that calls for us to have a post presence also.
    Either way Spurgin needs to step up her game.

Texanns defeat Lubbock Christian tonight 67-56.

Lubbock Christian was ranked 10th in the country.

Default OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by TexanFan View Post
    Texanns defeat Lubbock Christian tonight 67-56.

Lubbock Christian was ranked 10th in the country.

Great win for the LSC! I had a long chat with a 20 plus year LSC ref, a friend of mine, who had called a LCU game s week earlier. He said they were very disciplined and very well coached (as usual), but they lacked an AA like Bruffey.

That’s s quality win by the Tex Ann’s. And a good (for the LSC) regional loss for LCU
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-22-2018 at 10:41 AM.

One thing is very clear with this team.
    Their basketball IQ is pretty high.

They are in the right place at the right time.
    Mary Foster got good playing time last game, she is going to be special.
    Looking forward to today's game.

One thing is very clear with this team.
    Their basketball IQ is pretty high.

They are in the right place at the right time.
    Mary Foster got good playing time last game, she is going to be special.
    Looking forward to today's game.
    Even though they're only giving up 59 points per game and winning by a 23 point margin, I think Coach Mattio is not happy at all with the D and rebounding. Not happy at all.

LSC play starts this week with home games against Cameron and MSU.
    You never know what's going to happen in conference play.

I feel good about these two games with them being at home.
    Would like to see the "D" pick up the pace.
    Never thought I would say this, "would like to see Lexy more involved"
    As deep as this team is that's a good thing.

LSC play starts this week with home games against Cameron and MSU.
    You never know what's going to happen in conference play.

I feel good about these two games with them being at home.
    Would like to see the "D" pick up the pace.
    Never thought I would say this, "would like to see Lexy more involved"
    As deep as this team is that's a good thing.
    Eastern Women plays Msu on thursday and cameron on sat. They looked good do far only loss is to ACU.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Eastern Women plays Msu on thursday and cameron on sat. They looked good do far only loss is to ACU.
    WT flips those two teams this week. WT has been winning games by 23 point margins. I commented earlier about our defense not being up to snuff. But, if you look at the stats, you'll see players like Lexy Hightower and several other starters only getting 20-25 minutes per game. WT has dominated several games, and this has allowed the 9 thru 14 bench players to get an inordinate amount of playing time. Conference will be probably be different. Expect the top eight players in the rotation to get more playing time......and the defensive numbers to kick it up a notch or two.

I watched ENMU against Pueblo. They were okay. I don't see them in the top four at season's end.

I think ASU is fielding a team of midgets. We really do not know since Renee is keeping them in hiding. They've only played two games and those were in Denton.