Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: OT - Wt WBB

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

In all fairness, WT made the playoffs and had a good season. But with all the "WT WBB" & GWB talk about the D1 caliber players and deep bench, I guess, I expected MUCH more.

Was this "maroon colored glasses" TALK or did the Lady Buffs simply under achieve??

Either way, I say congrats on a good season. Maybe 2020 "OT WBB" will end differently.

Let's pray we are all here to see!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    In all fairness, WT made the playoffs and had a good season. But with all the "WT WBB" & GWB talk about the D1 caliber players and deep bench, I guess, I expected MUCH more.

Was this "maroon colored glasses" TALK or did the Lady Buffs simply under achieve??

Either way, I say congrats on a good season. Maybe 2020 "OT WBB" will end differently.

Let's pray we are all here to see!
    I was traveling and unable to attend the game. We had the players and coaching to make a deeper run. By any standard, expect ours, it was a good season. The bar has been set high at Wt. It's just really hard to beat a good team 4 times. Until the NCAA stops the regional seeding and goes to national seeding, like D1, playing each other several times a year will be a problem. Now if we can get the Football team to this level...........
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    No joke, Mens and womens are improving quite a bit though. Athletics in general at ENMU is improving.
    I really like what I see at ENMU. The Hounds will be a force in the LSC if you can keep your Coaches at home.

Congrats to Angelo for finally beating the Lady Buffs when it really counted. Lady Buffs had a great season. 29-4 ain't chopped liver. I hope Coach Mattio devises a way to have a more fluid offensive scheme at the end of games. Everything seems to come to a standstill as we look only for Lexy to make a play at the end of a possession. Ball movement ceases, the posts become superfluous, and everyone looks for Lexy. I believe we ned to have more than one option. Maybe use Lexy occasionally as a decoy since she brings double-teams immediately.

Off course all this would be superfluous if Megan Gambel had hit the back end of her 2 free throws, giving WT a 4 point lead with, what, 18 seconds left. Alas, she missed and the Angelo girl banked in a 3 pointer to tie the game in OT.

Oh, well. Angelo travel well to Mesa and good luck.

WT Lady Buffs will be better next year, IMO.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    The Hounds will be a force in the LSC if you can keep your Coaches at home.
    Thats the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    I was traveling and unable to attend the game. We had the players and coaching to make a deeper run. By any standard, expect ours, it was a good season. The bar has been set high at Wt. It's just really hard to beat a good team 4 times. Until the NCAA stops the regional seeding and goes to national seeding, like D1, playing each other several times a year will be a problem. Now if we can get the Football team to this level...........
    What, to the level of not meeting "expectations? ;) (jk)

I am glad ASU moved FORWARD with WBB this season. One step better than last season. That proves Dr May made the right decision on coaching. I also believe this years recruiting class has been the best.

As far as WT, it must be a HUGE let down for fans and all the D1 girls who signed with WT in order to win a Championship. Real bummer for you guys.

But like I said, maybe next year.

Ohhhhh.....one side note.....Whine with YOUR crow????? 707

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Congrats to Angelo for finally beating the Lady Buffs when it really counted. Lady Buffs had a great season. 29-4 ain't chopped liver. I hope Coach Mattio devises a way to have a more fluid offensive scheme at the end of games. Everything seems to come to a standstill as we look only for Lexy to make a play at the end of a possession. Ball movement ceases, the posts become superfluous, and everyone looks for Lexy. I believe we ned to have more than one option. Maybe use Lexy occasionally as a decoy since she brings double-teams immediately.

Off course all this would be superfluous if Megan Gambel had hit the back end of her 2 free throws, giving WT a 4 point lead with, what, 18 seconds left. Alas, she missed and the Angelo girl banked in a 3 pointer to tie the game in OT.

Oh, well. Angelo travel well to Mesa and good luck.

WT Lady Buffs will be better next year, IMO.
    Deja vu? Believe that was said last year too. AND at the beginning of this season. ;)

It appears the difference was how ASU came out in the 1st, BLAZING....simply on fire. Lady Buffs had no answer.....simply could not keep up.

And the fact that four Belles were in double digits didnt help the Lady Buffs.

It's tough when your team is in the playoffs and has to rely on one person and the "Lexy Show" (as GWB refers too it) doesn't happen.

As far as beating a team 4 times being tough.......the first game was luck at the buzzer. Other two games were definately dubyas earned by WT. BUT the fact that ASU's BIG player was ill all season was a HUGE factor in ASU getting beat at all.

As I previously said....it was great to see ASU WBB taking a step FORWARD.

Any way.....good season for the Lady Buffs, albeit disappointing.

#GoBelles

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Deja vu? Believe that was said last year too. AND at the beginning of this season. ;)

It appears the difference was how ASU came out in the 1st, BLAZING....simply on fire. Lady Buffs had no answer.....simply could not keep up.

And the fact that four Belles were in double digits didnt help the Lady Buffs.

It's tough when your team is in the playoffs and has to rely on one person and the "Lexy Show" (as GWB refers too it) doesn't happen.

As far as beating a team 4 times being tough.......the first game was luck at the buzzer. Other two games were definately dubyas earned by WT. BUT the fact that ASU's BIG player was ill all season was a HUGE factor in ASU getting beat at all.

As I previously said....it was great to see ASU WBB taking a step FORWARD.

Any way.....good season for the Lady Buffs, albeit disappointing.

#GoBelles
    The good thing about sports: you don't die from it and next season rolls around.

Angelo outlasted WT. Congrats to them. I hope they win it all. No need for any more catty remarks about WT. WT beat Angelo 3 times. Angelo won the big one. That's what counts.

The consistent excellence and top tier competitiveness of the lady Buffs can't be denied. Look at the record. Only ONE team wins it all each year.

WT returns starter Hightower, Nix, Gamble, 6'5 med RS Parker (would-have-been starter instead of 1st team all conference Tyesha Taylor) and semi-starter Natalie Linden. Most improved player on team and LSC shot block leader 6'3 soph post Spurgin returns. 6'1 impressive athlete freshman Dollar returns (I predict she's all conference as a junior). Junior Burke (juco transfer a great shooter who was a disappointment this year) and freshman Foster. If Coach gets any of the guards being recruited our outside game will be better. She'll have to get another big. If she can find the HS big able to come in and contribute right away....great. But more likely she gets a D1 transfer (like Parker and Taylor were) hopefully with three years left. Hell, if we go to battle with only what we've got returning.....we're pre-season pick to win it again. Angelo's got some big shoes to fill. They will. Eastern's got two of the best freshman in the LSC returning.

It'll be real interesting to see where this conversation is at this time next season.

The good thing about sports: you don't die from it and next season rolls around.

Angelo outlasted WT. Congrats to them. I hope they win it all. No need for any more catty remarks about WT. WT beat Angelo 3 times. Angelo won the big one. That's what counts.

The consistent excellence and top tier competitiveness of the lady Buffs can't be denied. Look at the record. Only ONE team wins it all each year.

WT returns starter Hightower, Nix, Gamble, 6'5 med RS Parker (would-have-been starter instead of 1st team all conference Tyesha Taylor) and semi-starter Natalie Linden. Most improved player on team and LSC shot block leader 6'3 soph post Spurgin returns. 6'1 impressive athlete freshman Dollar returns (I predict she's all conference as a junior). Junior Burke (juco transfer a great shooter who was a disappointment this year) and freshman Foster. If Coach gets any of the guards being recruited our outside game will be better. She'll have to get another big. If she can find the HS big able to come in and contribute right away....great. But more likely she gets a D1 transfer (like Parker and Taylor were) hopefully with three years left. Hell, if we go to battle with only what we've got returning.....we're pre-season pick to win it again. Angelo's got some big shoes to fill. They will. Eastern's got two of the best freshman in the LSC returning.

It'll be real interesting to see where this conversation is at this time next season.
    Oh yes....."next" season.

But it's NOW, and for ASU STILL THIS season.

Ok. Now I am done. ;)

What a great series that has been played between these two clubs for what seems like the last 4-5 years. Unfortunately for ASU, WT has been on the better side of it most of the time especially in the playoffs, but it has been fun to watch these two clubs go at it. As others have mentioned, it stinks that they have to play each other this early in the process. Hopefully ASU can beat a good LCU team and make it to the Elite 8 for the 1st time in program history.
    I don't know anything about LCU outside of the fact that they are well coached and obviously talented. But does anyone have a scouting report for them? Areas they are susceptible?
    I think if ASU can shoot the ball 35% or better from 3, they are very difficult team to beat. We need to keep the tempo up and create some turnovers and havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    What a great series that has been played between these two clubs for what seems like the last 4-5 years. Unfortunately for ASU, WT has been on the better side of it most of the time especially in the playoffs, but it has been fun to watch these two clubs go at it. As others have mentioned, it stinks that they have to play each other this early in the process. Hopefully ASU can beat a good LCU team and make it to the Elite 8 for the 1st time in program history.
    I don't know anything about LCU outside of the fact that they are well coached and obviously talented. But does anyone have a scouting report for them? Areas they are susceptible?
    I think if ASU can shoot the ball 35% or better from 3, they are very difficult team to beat. We need to keep the tempo up and create some turnovers and havoc.
    LCU at home will be tough but I don't think they are quite as high powered this year. Should be a winnable game for ASU

12. Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

The Amarillo Globe News today reported that the WT basketball programs set NCAA DII history by being the first programs to both host the NCAA regional. First time both programs were #1 seeds in the region for the NCAA tournament.

Congrats to a couple of great coaching staffs and their players! And the foresight of the AD to hire them.
    Didn't look to see if there were any comments about the Amarillo Globe News story but it is incorrect. Arkansas Tech was the #1 seed and host for both the men's and women's tournaments in 2010. The teams entered the NCAA tournaments with a combined 57-3 record. The men lost in the regional semifinals and the women lost in Elite 8 first round. We hosted all 14 visiting teams. Women's first round was played on March 12 and Men's first round was played on March 13. All four regional semifinals were played on March 14 and both regional finals were played on March 16. If memory serves, the women's games were played in session 1 for each of the semifinal and championship rounds. I believe that was a much better format than having the these split regionals because of the situation on the women's side. ASU and LCU now have to travel (home team traveling a much longer distance) at added costs and difficulties and a location had to be determined at the last minute to play 1 game. It was said on the selection shows that this split regional format was used to protect the integrity of the bracket but all I see is that they just made things harder on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    Didn't look to see if there were any comments about the Amarillo Globe News story but it is incorrect. Arkansas Tech was the #1 seed and host for both the men's and women's tournaments in 2010. The teams entered the NCAA tournaments with a combined 57-3 record. The men lost in the regional semifinals and the women lost in Elite 8 first round. We hosted all 14 visiting teams. Women's first round was played on March 12 and Men's first round was played on March 13. All four regional semifinals were played on March 14 and both regional finals were played on March 16. If memory serves, the women's games were played in session 1 for each of the semifinal and championship rounds. I believe that was a much better format than having the these split regionals because of the situation on the women's side. ASU and LCU now have to travel (home team traveling a much longer distance) at added costs and difficulties and a location had to be determined at the last minute to play 1 game. It was said on the selection shows that this split regional format was used to protect the integrity of the bracket but all I see is that they just made things harder on themselves.
    The easy answer to these problems is National seeding, not regional seeding. Regional seeding is an antiquated system. D1 uses national seeding, so should D2.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324