Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: OT - Wt WBB

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    The regional system is mainly due to economics. It's not ideal, all things being equal, but I don't think the NCAA is too keen on sending, say, a team from New England to the West Coast for the opening three rounds of the tournament. It sort of defeats the purpose of D2's philosophy about balancing athletics and academics.
    4 regional tournements of 16 teams would still be regionally based. An east coast team would not be traveling to the west coast. Even if there were two 32 team tournaments an east coast team would be playing somewhere in the eastern (or mid-central) part of the country. Teams from the GNAC, MIAA, GAC, NSIC, LSC, RMAC, etc would be playing in the West at a Denver, Sioux Falls, Minneapolis, or Dallas location. 16 team regionals, seeded correctly, would insure that if one conference has the best 2 teams in the 2 or 3 conferences at the regional, that the likelihood of those two meeting for the championship becomes more likely. It strengthens the field for the overall championship.

The Amarillo Globe News today reported that the WT basketball programs set NCAA DII history by being the first programs to both host the NCAA regional. First time both programs were #1 seeds in the region for the NCAA tournament.

Congrats to a couple of great coaching staffs and their players! And the foresight of the AD to hire them.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    The Amarillo Globe News today reported that the WT basketball programs set NCAA DII history by being the first programs to both host the NCAA regional. First time both programs were #1 seeds in the region for the NCAA tournament.

Congrats to a couple of great coaching staffs and their players! And the foresight of the AD to hire them.
    Wait isn't he still being fired?

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    Wait isn't he still being fired?
    Well what happened was...he was fired but he just kept showing up to work. I think they felt guilty after a while and started paying him again

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Well what happened was...he was fired but he just kept showing up to work. I think they felt guilty after a while and started paying him again
    Yes last I heard Jon Sharp came in and fired the president and the AD. “Dead man walking” was the term I believe that was used.

6. Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    Wt played with a hangover - the "We just won a big game hangover"

Not much intensity, sluggish and out of sic.
    We did get out with a win, we were outplayed.

The Javs are talented, have some size.
    They appear to under archive and just don't know how to win.

Is it time for a change??
    A change at Kingvillw women's BB? Absolutely not. They've gone from being doormats to being competitive. I think their coach has done a good job and is on the right track.
    https://javelinaathletics.com/news/2...eadership.aspx
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Hmm. I'm surprised with this. The overall record sucks. Lady Jav basketball was a dumpster fire when he took over. The improvement in the on floor product compared prior to his arrival is demonstrable. Last year and especially this year the lady javs were competitive and had sparks of great games, like the win against WT. He was making progress. One good recruiting class away from having a winning program.

What yue hell!!!! The FB has been getting smoked but lets fire the womens bball coach when they are showing vast improvement?

Hmm. I'm surprised with this. The overall record sucks. Lady Jav basketball was a dumpster fire when he took over. The improvement in the on floor product compared prior to his arrival is demonstrable. Last year and especially this year the lady javs were competitive and had sparks of great games, like the win against WT. He was making progress. One good recruiting class away from having a winning program.
    You are a little more attentive to sports like basketball than some of us. What would say is a good cut off point where you decided to go another direction even with the noted improvement on the court?

Scott took over in 2014 and his records were

14/15 0-26
    15/16 5-21
    16/17 14-14
    17/18 8-20
    18/19 9-19

Looking the above numbers and the balance of the season within each season, the 16/17 and 17/18 season were probably the better of the five.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    You are a little more attentive to sports like basketball than some of us. What would say is a good cut off point where you decided to go another direction even with the noted improvement on the court?

Scott took over in 2014 and his records were

14/15 0-26
    15/16 5-21
    16/17 14-14
    17/18 8-20
    18/19 9-19

Looking the above numbers and the balance of the season within each season, the 16/17 and 17/18 season were probably the better of the five.
    Well, you can't argue the record. I thought his team this year played hard, had some talent. When I think a bit harder, I think they probably underperformed with the potential the talent had.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    What yue hell!!!! The FB has been getting smoked but lets fire the womens bball coach when they are showing vast improvement?
    If you recall, we have a new AD who took over in Nov.

I would guess the football program will receive the same scrutiny in the fall if the W/L record is the same or worse as the last two seasons. I don't know how much leeway the staff might have if the "L's" are much prettier than they were in the past two seasons if we end up with the same record from the last two seasons (4-7). With an athletic program that is supposed to take it's football program seriously, one would think the margin for error is very small in 2019? But I've been so wrong and disappointed with this program for the balance of this decade, I don't know what to expect? It's crapshoot... kind of like throwing at a dart board in a dark room.

If you recall, we have a new AD who took over in Nov.

I would guess the football program will receive the same scrutiny in the fall if the W/L record is the same or worse as the last two seasons. I don't know how much leeway the staff might have if the "L's" are much prettier than they were in the past two seasons if we end up with the same record from the last two seasons (4-7). With an athletic program that is supposed to take it's football program seriously, one would think the margin for error is very small in 2019? But I've been so wrong and disappointed with this program for the balance of this decade, I don't know what to expect? It's crapshoot... kind of like throwing at a dart board in a dark room.
    Or letting Stevie Wonder cut your hair.

Well, you can't argue the record. I thought his team this year played hard, had some talent. When I think a bit harder, I think they probably underperformed with the potential the talent had.
    That's probably a good take. The team had their moments, but it takes a special kind of animal if you will in a sport like basketball where you play up 25 to 30 games a season to keep that momentum going week to week. And to pick up the team when the lose it and try to get them back on track. Some coaches are good teaching the X's and O's, but can't run the show consistently on the field or court during a game. While others are good at being the General in game situations and let the assistants act as the team builders.

That's probably a good take. The team had their moments, but it takes a special kind of animal if you will in a sport like basketball where you play up 25 to 30 games a season to keep that momentum going week to week. And to pick up the team when the lose it and try to get them back on track. Some coaches are good teaching the X's and O's, but can't run the show consistently on the field or court during a game. While others are good at being the General in game situations and let the assistants act as the team builders.
    WT's had such a string of great women's coaches, Bob Schneider, Krista Gerlich (at UTA and just won the Sun Belt), Mark Kellog (on his 3rd straight 25 plus win season at SFA), and now Kristen Marttio (111 wins so far in 4 years and LSC back-to-back titles), that we are spoiled. Mattio can recruit talent, coach it up, game coach, and handle the intangible duties of a HC on and off the court. She's a winner.

I wonder how many good applicants will applysville at Kingsville? What's the pay range down there?
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Angelo State Rambelles just finished off Westminster 76-61. Will face winner of ENMU/WT.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Angelo State Rambelles just finished off Westminster 76-61. Will face winner of ENMU/WT.
    They shot well in the second half. Moore and Daniels we're too much for Westminster, who hit a real cold spell from outside in the 2nd. If the Lady Buffs can take care of business, we'll see you tomorrow for the 4th time this year.

They shot well in the second half. Moore and Daniels we're too much for Westminster, who hit a real cold spell from outside in the 2nd. If the Lady Buffs can take care of business, we'll see you tomorrow for the 4th time this year.
    I get that with something like 5 teams making the 8 team field you are going to have it, but it sad that 2 LSC teams will be done by tomorrow just because they are playing each other. I wish the NCAA actually cared about D2 sports to make it a little more of a level playing field when it comes to the playoffs. There is no way that a some of these matchups that are happening in the 1st and 2nd round of the regional should be happening this early. All of ENMU, ASU, and WT are really good basketball teams that if they didn't have to play each other could make a deep run in the playoffs in other regions.

ENMU up 8 with under 5 to play in the 3rd quarter on WT. ENMU is shooting close to 60% for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    ENMU up 8 with under 5 to play in the 3rd quarter on WT. ENMU is shooting close to 60% for the game.
    It doesnt look anything close to max effort from WT.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    It doesnt look anything close to max effort from WT.
    Which is shocking. You have already lost to this team once this year, in the playoffs, at home...how do you not give max effort?
    ENMU has lead the entire game and is out rebounding them (by 2)