Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Wt WBB

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    We got the same problem in HS.

Consistincy is all we ask. Call it the same every time.
    Oh, and if you going to call hand checks call the chicken wing push off and stiff arms and dropped shoulders by the offense too.

Oh, and if you going to call hand checks call the chicken wing push off and stiff arms and dropped shoulders by the offense too.
    Or only call either side if it's "really obvious."

My problem is the out of position call.
    The outside official makes a call on an interior post player with another official 3 feet from the action.
    That's not the outside officials call.
    Also anticipating contact, especially on fastbreaks.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Or only call either side if it's "really obvious."
    Im good with that too. I just hate it when the defense is just putting a yand out and gets called, mean time the offense practically stiff arms the guy in his face and nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    My problem is the out of position call.
    The outside official makes a call on an interior post player with another official 3 feet from the action.
    That's not the outside officials call.
    Also anticipating contact, especially on fastbreaks.
    It's all about angles. As you stated, being out of position and making a call just blows my mind. Let's say you have a post defender and a post offensive player in the paint. One ref
    has a perfect angle from the side. Another ref has no decent look from the top left to see the separation and contact the two players are making. The top ref calls a blocking foul on the defender. WHAT THE F? He has no angle. He can't even begin to make the call. To compound the mistake, the ref with a great look at it won't pull the offending ref aside and tell him he screwed up and overturn the call and tell him to pull his head out of his azz because it's not his call for kris sakes and don't do it again.

From someone who has watched about 1,500 WT BB games in person, it's freaking exasperating.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-01-2019 at 06:38 PM.

It's all about angles. As you stated, being out of position and making a call just blows my mind. Let's say you have a post defender and a post offensive player in the paint. One ref
    has a perfect angle from the side. Another ref has no decent look from the top left to see the separation and contact the two players are making. The top ref calls a blocking foul on the defender. WHAT THE F? He has no angle. He can't even begin to make the call. To compound the mistake, the ref with a great look at it won't pull the offending ref aside and tell him he screwed up and overturn the call and tell him to pull his head out of his azz because it's not his call for kris sakes and don't do it again.

From someone who has watched about 1,500 WT BB games in person, it's freaking exasperating.
    It appears to me that Baseball and Softball officials work together better than Basketball. WTH is that about??

basketball would be a lot better to watch if you limited the rosters to two-arm amputees.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    basketball would be a lot better to watch if you limited the rosters to two-arm amputees.
    Do you really smoke this early in the morning?? Or is it "brownies" and coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    I find this very funny.

I find this very funny.
    Me too.

Come on now.

LSC officials making calls out of position is not unique to just basketball. How many times have you seen it on the Gridiron? I’m shocked they don’t defer to the third base umps to call ball and strikes on the diamond.

Here is a novel idea.....how bout each of you attend classes (although you don't need them) and become LSC officials so we can have perfectly called games.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Here is a novel idea.....how bout each of you attend classes (although you don't need them) and become LSC officials so we can have perfectly called games.

Only if you teach.....

I called HS boys basketball for 5 years. Quit when the family came along.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Only if you teach.....
    Wrong guy..... you need someone who is perfect or at least thinks they are. That disqualifies me.

I made a mistake..............ONCE.

I called HS boys basketball for 5 years. Quit when the family came along.
    Did anyone, EVER, disagree with a call you made?

Did anyone, EVER, disagree with a call you made?
    They did. Lot's of moms and dads always thought little johnnie was innocent. No ref can be close to 100% right. I had many a coach say they liked the way I called it. However, patterns do emerge. I tried to call what I saw. What I saw was filtered with some discretion within the rules and an interpretation of the context of the rules and their application. I tried always to be cognizant of the angles I had vis a vis the other ref. I seldom called a ticky tacky foul. i did not penalize a larger, stronger, or quicker player for being a larger, stronger, quicker player. I was more interested in seeing a game flow smoothly than being a rookie cop calling every misdemeanor. I can remember some games where I might have called 7 or 8 fouls and the other ref called 30. If there was one thing I prided myself on, it was being consistent in the way I called things. I had a chance to move up and call college. I still think I have a sharp eye and a quick whistle when needed during a game. Regretfully, they took my sideline whistle away a few years ago.

With a wife and children, plus the fact that my right knee was bane-on-bone since I was 17 and I was popping indocin like they were M&M's, I had to decide between calling games or playing a lot off golf with my time. I chose to play 150 rounds + of golf a year, walking about 75% of those till my mid-30's.

No one ever called me Bozo. At least not while I was calling a game.

A couple weeks ago at a WT women's game, the lead ref came over to me just before the tip-off and said the crew had a bet. Whoever got the first "Bozo" had to buy dinner after the game. It was a Lady Buff blowout. No Bozo from me that night. Ha!
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 03-04-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Took an officiating class while at Wt.
    Called Baseball for several years, some basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    Took an officiating class while at Wt.
    Called Baseball for several years, some basketball.
    So, start calling LSC games!

They did. Lot's of moms and dads always thought little johnnie was innocent. No ref can be close to 100% right. I had many a coach say they liked the way I called it. However, patterns do emerge. I tried to call what I saw. What I saw was filtered with some discretion within the rules and an interpretation of the context of the rules and their application. I tried always to be cognizant of the angles I had vis a vis the other ref. I seldom called a ticky tacky foul. i did not penalize a larger, stronger, or quicker player for being a larger, stronger, quicker player. I was more interested in seeing a game flow smoothly than being a rookie cop calling every misdemeanor. I can remember some games where I might have called 7 or 8 fouls and the other ref called 30. If there was one thing I prided myself on, it was being consistent in the way I called things. I had a chance to move up and call college. I still think I have a sharp eye and a quick whistle when needed during a game. Regretfully, they took my sideline whistle away a few years ago.

With a wife and children, plus the fact that my right knee was bane-on-bone since I was 17 and I was popping indocin like they were M&M's, I had to decide between calling games or playing a lot off golf with my time. I chose to play 150 rounds + of golf a year, walking about 75% of those till my mid-30's.

No one ever called me Bozo. At least not while I was calling a game.

A couple weeks ago at a WT women's game, the lead ref came over to me just before the tip-off and said the crew had a bet. Whoever got the first "Bozo" had to buy dinner after the game. It was a Lady Buff blowout. No Bozo from me that night. Ha!
    I think you should start officiating LSC games.