Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: OT - Wt WBB

Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Yes. But you don't win 'em all.

WT recently recruited (hard) a Dallas area girl. She had numerous D1 offers. It came down to WT or UTEP. Unfortunately for WT, her family had spent numerous years in El Paso before moving to the Dallas area. She still had grandparents, uncles, and cousins in the area. She signed with UTEP. Still, that's the kind of kid that successful D2 programs need to recruit. I know WT is pursuing several girls right now where it's the same scenario.......D1 or WT. Hopefully, Mattio snags a 2 or 3 of them for early signing this Nov.

It's much easier to create an environment where top notch female athletes will seriously consider the educational and relational benefits a perennial D2 contender offers over many D1 programs. Some girls would rather be potential AA's getting 35 minutes PT, playing for conference and national championships, rather than 17 minutes of role playing at a D1 that might never have a solid winning season.

It's much harder to convince the men of the same. Every guy thinks they're headed for the NBA (or ought to be) or at the least a great career in Europe. And playing for D1 North By Northwest Armpit U is the path to get them there.
    That validates my point! She didn’t go to UTEP over WT because it was D1. She went there because she had family there which made it a more attractive to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    That validates my point! She didn’t go to UTEP over WT because it was D1. She went there because she had family there which made it a more attractive to her.
    Exactly. But, WT was in the final hunt for her services. It was WT or UTEP. Not UTEP or NT or Ark-Little Rock or Texas State.

I think that is a mistake Kevin Baker and now Renee Shippy have made at ASU. They have so loaded the roster with transfers that is hard for HS recruits to consider ASU.

Renee did sign three area small school girls but that is probably just window dressing. The two girls from Wall did win a state championship as freshmen so they may end up as big contributors.

Our men's team is even worse about loading with transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    I think that is a mistake Kevin Baker and now Renee Shippy have made at ASU. They have so loaded the roster with transfers that is hard for HS recruits to consider ASU.

Renee did sign three area small school girls but that is probably just window dressing. The two girls from Wall did win a state championship as freshmen so they may end up as big contributors.

Our men's team is even worse about loading with transfers.
    Transfers can put an instant winner on the floor. WT's two 6'5 posts are both D1 transfers. One is a senior, one will return after a medical RS year. I fully expect Mattio to pursue another D1 post transfer to replace Tyesha Taylor. 6'5 posts that can play at the D1 level are hard to recruit our of high school to a D2 program. I have spoken often to both our 6'5 posts. Each wishes they'd come to WT as freshmen.

For the men, recruiting transfers is the easy way out. Coaches unwilling and especially unable to evaluate talent at the HS level and project that talent to college recruit transfers.

Things have changed somewhat in the LSC. WT hiring Tom Brown accelerated that change. Brown believes in recruiting freshmen. He likes to RS them if possible. Right now, WT has only 2 transfers on their squad, Gach Gach and one year senior transfer from Emporia State, Brandon Hall. Two freshmen start at the guard spots. They are killing it! Who would have thought after graduating AA David Chavlovich (2,500 points) and Jordan Evans (1,400 points in 3 seasons) that WT would start 2 freshmen guards and be 22-3 and 10-1 right now? Not me.

I've noticed that Tarleton and Commerce have skewed their recruiting more toward freshman since Brown's arrival. Next year WT loses post Quaid, Gach, and Hall. Brown may need to go the transfer route with a post. Or a big shooting guard like Gach. Maybe not. Maybe they find another Quaid or (departed) Gage Prim. Prim came in last year and made an impact as a freshman. A 6'7 235 impact. But, he was a knucklehead. A 6'7 235 knucklehead! That could play. Juco South Plains got him to transfer and now he has signed with Missouri State. Missouri State. BFD. He'd have been playing for a NC at WT. The players and coaches say we're better off without him. But Chavlovich, Quaid, Prim, Grant, Murray, and Collins are examples that Brown and his staff have demonstrated the knack of finding HS players interested in playing for them at WT that have the talent to play at high levels.

Recruiting talented freshmen creates continuity, stability, and "family." How often do we see that hotshot transfer not really contribute till the spring of his junior year or even not till his senior year? The transfer route is a treadmill that never stops till it breaks down. Brown's formula is more difficult to pull off for less talented coaches on the recruiting trail. But, it's working for WT.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Transfers can put an instant winner on the floor. WT's two 6'5 posts are both D1 transfers. One is a senior, one will return after a medical RS year. I fully expect Mattio to pursue another D1 post transfer to replace Tyesha Taylor. 6'5 posts that can play at the D1 level are hard to recruit our of high school to a D2 program. I have spoken often to both our 6'5 posts. Each wishes they'd come to WT as freshmen.

For the men, recruiting transfers is the easy way out. Coaches unwilling and especially unable to evaluate talent at the HS level and project that talent to college recruit transfers.

Things have changed somewhat in the LSC. WT hiring Tom Brown accelerated that change. Brown believes in recruiting freshmen. He likes to RS them if possible. Right now, WT has only 2 transfers on their squad, Gach Gach and one year senior transfer from Emporia State, Brandon Hall. Two freshmen start at the guard spots. They are killing it! Who would have thought after graduating AA David Chavlovich (2,500 points) and Jordan Evans (1,400 points in 3 seasons) that WT would start 2 freshmen guards and be 22-3 and 10-1 right now? Not me.

I've noticed that Tarleton and Commerce have skewed their recruiting more toward freshman since Brown's arrival. Next year WT loses post Quaid, Gach, and Hall. Brown may need to go the transfer route with a post. Or a big shooting guard like Gach. Maybe not. Maybe they find another Quaid or (departed) Gage Prim. Prim came in last year and made an impact as a freshman. A 6'7 235 impact. But, he was a knucklehead. A 6'7 235 knucklehead! That could play. Juco South Plains got him to transfer and now he has signed with Missouri State. Missouri State. BFD. He'd have been playing for a NC at WT. The players and coaches say we're better off without him. But Chavlovich, Quaid, Prim, Grant, Murray, and Collins are examples that Brown and his staff have demonstrated the knack of finding HS players interested in playing for them at WT that have the talent to play at high levels.

Recruiting talented freshmen creates continuity, stability, and "family." How often do we see that hotshot transfer not really contribute till the spring of his junior year or even not till his senior year? The transfer route is a treadmill that never stops till it breaks down. Brown's formula is more difficult to pull off for less talented coaches on the recruiting trail. But, it's working for WT.
    That is a long winded explanation of what I was getting at.

That is a long winded explanation of what I was getting at.
    I had nothing else to do.

Mike Beard did the transfer thing very well. Angelo to Little Rock to UNLV to Texas Tech in, what, 5 years? Then again, the UTPB guy tried the same thing in Odessa. It backfired on him, despite winning a ton of games, because he recruited some transfers who could at best be called "bad citizens." At worst they'd be tagged future "zeks." Russian for "prisoner."

Mike Beard did the transfer thing very well. Angelo to Little Rock to UNLV to Texas Tech in, what, 5 years? Then again, the UTPB guy tried the same thing in Odessa. It backfired on him, despite winning a ton of games, because he recruited some transfers who could at best be called "bad citizens." At worst they'd be tagged future "zeks." Russian for "prisoner."
    At ASU Beard had five GAs whose primary duty was babysitting the players and making sure they stayed out of trouble.

At ASU Beard had five GAs whose primary duty was babysitting the players and making sure they stayed out of trouble.
    nm

"Thug Ball"

Off to see Lady Buffs and UTPB.
    UTPB is 0-13 in the conference. This could be another controlled scrimmage.
    We won by 36 at their place. The bench should get more playing time

Same results with all your starters back.

Belles played TWU. Won by 31. Last time WT played TWU, Lady Buffs won by 17.

The ASU @ WT is going to be a HUGE game.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Same results with all your starters back.

Belles played TWU. Won by 31. Last time WT played TWU, Lady Buffs won by 17.

The ASU @ WT is going to be a HUGE game.
    Yes, it will.
    I know the New Mexico Schools are not the top tier. However, They played hard and provided a good tune-up for Wt.
    Nix started again, so I guess that's a permanent move.
    Regan came in and never missed a beat, ran the offense and made the shot when called on.
    There are three girls, due to injuries of other players, have really stepped up.
    Nix who is now starting. Spurgin and Dollar are playing well.
    Spurgin has gotten aggressive in the paint and at 6' 4" is now a force.
    Dollar makes an athletic play every game where you go, "How did she do that?"

IMHO - for ASU to win someone will need a career game. Don't think Miller can carry the team.
    Miller doesn't appear to be able to play a large number of minutes.
    Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 02-09-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

IMHO - for ASU to win someone will need a career game. Don't think Miller can carry the team.
    You probably mean Moore not Miller - we have no Miller. Yes her playing time is limited due to some health issues that have not been made public. I don't think it is a basketball related injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    Yes, it will.
    I know the New Mexico Schools are not the top tier. However, They played hard and provided a good tune-up for Wt.
    Nix started again, so I guess that's a permanent move.
    Regan came in and never missed a beat, ran the offense and made the shot when called on.
    There are three girls, due to injuries of other players, have really stepped up.
    Nix who is now starting. Spurgin and Dollar are playing well.
    Spurgin has gotten aggressive in the paint and at 6' 4" is now a force.

Eastern is more than just a tune up for the girls.. Last i saw on the football field so were the boys...

Edit...Been drinking post....all opinions and statements to be taken with grain of salt...
    Last edited by Boohaha; 02-09-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Eastern is more than just a tune up for the girls.. Last i saw on the football field so were the boys...

Edit...Been drinking post....all opinions and statements to be taken with grain of salt...
    Yeah, but what are you drinking? That's all I'm judging you on.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    Yeah, but what are you drinking? That's all I'm judging you on.
    Manhattans! 2 shots bourbon 1 shot vermouth dash bitters! mmmm... so good!

Manhattans! 2 shots bourbon 1 shot vermouth dash bitters! mmmm... so good!
    Sell alcohol for a living, solid choice. What bourbon? I'm drinking High West at the moment. 2.5oz High West, .5oz Creme de Cacao, 1 dash aztec chocolate bitters, 2 dash cherry bitters.

This is me hijacking a WT thread.

Sell alcohol for a living, solid choice. What bourbon? I'm drinking High West at the moment. 2.5oz High West, .5oz Creme de Cacao, 1 dash aztec chocolate bitters, 2 dash cherry bitters.

Cheap evan williams, but... i do like bullett rye when i want to splurge...And that drink sounds AMAZING!!

Cheap evan williams, but... i do like bullett rye when i want to splurge...And that drink sounds AMAZING!!
    Even better after 3 of them.

My local place was sampling the High West a few months ago. I bought a bottle. It's not bad.