Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Wt WBB

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    WOW!!!

How many National Championships has WT won in WBB? When was the last?

We’ve been in two NCAA finals. We’ve won maybe 15 LSC championships.

Default Re: OT - Wt WBB

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    We’ve been in two NCAA finals. We’ve won maybe 15 LSC championships.
    THANK YOU! So all these players that 1975 is talking about turned down d1's, etc....to play for the LSC championship? *scratching my head*

Unis For WBB??? LMAO.

I am still trying to get an answer to 1975's statement.

Instead I get the normal "wife" response. And deflection.

ONCE AGAIN......how many National Championships has WT WBB won? When was the last? Since all these players turned down full D1's and top Ivy League schools for WT so they can play for a Championship, I believe this is a reasonable question.
    Lol, just messing with you since you like the uniform game. I'm not a big basketball guy, especially the women. I follow the men's team closer. So I'll have to deflect to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Lol, just messing with you since you like the uniform game. I'm not a big basketball guy, especially the women. I follow the men's team closer. So I'll have to deflect to someone else
    I argued with pigskinlover about this. I said unis were NOT important in recruiting....he said they were. Especially to Millennials and Gen Zs. Turns out he was absolutely right. I do not like being wrong.....but I was absolutely wrong.

Also, I had NO idea ASU football was considered to have some of the best unis in DII football.

I argued with pigskinlover about this. I said unis were NOT important in recruiting....he said they were. Especially to Millennials and Gen Zs. Turns out he was absolutely right. I do not like being wrong.....but I was absolutely wrong.

Also, I had NO idea ASU football was considered to have some of the best unis in DII football.
    I will admit their uniforms are slick at ASU. I'll also admit i was a bit disappointed with the football uniforms WT chose with the new Under Armour deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    I will admit their uniforms are slick at ASU. I'll also admit i was a bit disappointed with the football uniforms WT chose with the new Under Armour deal.
    I do like the white helmet though...could have gone with a buffalo on the side instead of the WT but to each their own.

THANK YOU! So all these players that 1975 is talking about turned down d1's, etc....to play for the LSC championship? *scratching my head*
    If you've ever coached females, you would know that the "D1" BS (especially a choice between WT and say, Houston Baptist or UT Corpus) is not always the most important thing to them. My experience is that the women often value the relationships they form with prospective teammates and coaches (how they feel about "things") as much as D1D1D1D1D1D1. Playing for Northeastern St (La), losing a lot, and no chance for ever being in the NCAA playoffs may not have the panache or be the experience they are seeking.

If you've ever coached females, you would know that the "D1" BS (especially a choice between WT and say, Houston Baptist or UT Corpus) is not always the most important thing to them. My experience is that the women often value the relationships they form with prospective teammates and coaches (how they feel about "things") as much as D1D1D1D1D1D1. Playing for Northeastern St (La), losing a lot, and no chance for ever being in the NCAA playoffs may not have the panache or be the experience they are seeking.
    I get you Sir. I coached girls softball, once......OMG what a nightmare. I felt like a great human being by making young girls cry because I said “suck it up”.....Yes.....Women are from Venus. Enough said. 707

It also seems that some girls tend to want to play closer to home so their families can be a part of the experience.

Off to watch the Lady Buffs play Western New Mexico

IF we play well it should be a win.

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Off to watch the Lady Buffs play Western New Mexico

IF we play well it should be a win.
    They play a lot tougher than I expect them to.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    They play a lot tougher than I expect them to.

WT 87 WNM 37

Our bench played the last quarter. WNM plays hard but has no size. WT out rebounded Western 51-19. WT had 50 bench points.

WT 87 WNM 37

Our bench played the last quarter. WNM plays hard but has no size. WT out rebounded Western 51-19. WT had 50 bench points.
    What an AZZ whoopin! YIKES!!!!!!!

All you need to know is Hightower did not score and we won by 50.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

What an AZZ whoopin! YIKES!!!!!!!
    Coach Mattio said this was the first week since the first week of the season she's had her original team (minus our 6'5 post out with ACL) to practice with. No intramural kids or coaches filling in to be able to practice.

Coach Mattio said this was the first week since the first week of the season she's had her original team (minus our 6'5 post out with ACL) to practice with. No intramural kids or coaches filling in to be able to practice.
    She started Nix instead of Linden. Wondering if that because of the injury Linden has or with Regan back Nix has just played her way into the lineup?
    Nix was 7-7 with 21 points. Didn't hurt her chances of being a starter.
    The more I watch Dollar (FG 4-4, FT 6-10, 11 RB, 14 pt) The more impressed I am. Probably best athlete on the team. Has plus jumping ability and speed.
    Really like the way she posts up. IMHO she is a matchup problem for other teams.

UTPB Saturday, then the finishing sprint for the conference. I still think we are yet to play our best basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    She started Nix instead of Linden. Wondering if that because of the injury Linden has or with Regan back Nix has just played her way into the lineup?
    Nix was 7-7 with 21 points. Didn't hurt her chances of being a starter.
    The more I watch Dollar (FG 4-4, FT 6-10, 11 RB, 14 pt) The more impressed I am. Probably best athlete on the team. Has plus jumping ability and speed.
    Really like the way she posts up. IMHO she is a matchup problem for other teams.

UTPB Saturday, then the finishing sprint for the conference. I still think we are yet to play our best basketball.
    I think Delaney Nix has played her way into the starting line-up. Coach said Delaney's has been playing too fast. That is usually not a problem for a freshman. Usually, it's the other way around. Kristen has been working in practice with Delaney on slowing it down, not forcing things, being patient, and letting the game and situations come to her. It's paying off. When Delaney gets into a zone, she's unstoppable and like Kristen has said, you have to guard her as soon as she walks into the gym.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-08-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Spot on Chip. I’m not sure what young women think we they sign on to play college athletics. I do know that unless it’s a big time FBS school they could care less about the no name D1s of the world. I remember this one young lady who was a 4 star tennis recruit that passed on at least a dozen D1 offers out of state to play for St Mary’s where she was an all American. When I asked her why she didn’t play D1 she told me none offered the convenience of San Antonio and the small class sizes where she could have a more personal education.

I think young women are more practical and look at the best situation for them as opposed to exposure and winning. If they get both great but it’s secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Spot on Chip. I’m not sure what young women think we they sign on to play college athletics. I do know that unless it’s a big time FBS school they could care less about the no name D1s of the world. I remember this one young lady who was a 4 star tennis recruit that passed on at least a dozen D1 offers out of state to play for St Mary’s where she was an all American. When I asked her why she didn’t play D1 she told me none offered the convenience of San Antonio and the small class sizes where she could have a more personal education.

I think young women are more practical and look at the best situation for them as opposed to exposure and winning. If they get both great but it’s secondary.

To add to this, I have seen a lot of top female recruits in tennis and golf forego D1 athletic scholarships and use their talent to get the coach at Ivy League schools as well as other academically renowned D3 schools such as Carnegie Mellon to get them accepted to schools they otherwise would never be accepted to. It blew my mind the first time I saw this practice in action. But, when you really think about it they are setting themselves up for life not just for a paid degree at a D1 school that doesn’t have the same weight or credentials or connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post

Yes. But you don't win 'em all.

WT recently recruited (hard) a Dallas area girl. She had numerous D1 offers. It came down to WT or UTEP. Unfortunately for WT, her family had spent numerous years in El Paso before moving to the Dallas area. She still had grandparents, uncles, and cousins in the area. She signed with UTEP. Still, that's the kind of kid that successful D2 programs need to recruit. I know WT is pursuing several girls right now where it's the same scenario.......D1 or WT. Hopefully, Mattio snags a 2 or 3 of them for early signing this Nov.

It's much easier to create an environment where top notch female athletes will seriously consider the educational and relational benefits a perennial D2 contender offers over many D1 programs. Some girls would rather be potential AA's getting 35 minutes PT, playing for conference and national championships, rather than 17 minutes of role playing at a D1 that might never have a solid winning season.

It's much harder to convince the men of the same. Every guy thinks they're headed for the NBA (or ought to be) or at the least a great career in Europe. And playing for D1 North By Northwest Armpit U is the path to get them there.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-09-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast