View Poll Results: What antics should be allowed/utilized by teams to create home field adv?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band playing ominous music for an opponent's upcoming 3rd down

    7 41.18%
  • Stadium music played for an opponent's upcoming 3rd down

    3 17.65%
  • Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors first downs and scores by the home team

    3 17.65%
  • None of the above, It's unsportsmanlike, hostile and unnecessary at this level

    3 17.65%
  • Other - Explanation provided below

    1 5.88%
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Home Field Advantage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    517
    Blog Entries
    86
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    10464

    Default Home Field Advantage

    What, if any, antics should a home team utilize for the sake of home field advantage? There's a reason behind the question that I'll expand on a little later.

    For those using mobile who may not be able to see the answer choices:

    1. Band playing ominous music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    2. Stadium playing music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    3. Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors the home team's first downs and scores
    4. None of the Above - or anything else for that matter. At the D-II level it's hostile and unsportsmanlike.
    5. Other - Explained below (one add-on in the General Discussion section was allowing the crowd to use noisemakers).
    Last edited by Raymond Franze; 10-28-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    I can be reached at raymond.franze@d2football.com.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    I know what you are getting at...Shepherd played loud music on third downs. I guess as long as it is legal it’s OK, personally I didn’t like it but it is what it is. I don’t think it had much affect.

  3. Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    ???
    What Poll?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    468

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    ???
    What Poll?
    Polls are not viewable on mobile for some reason.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by ShepFan1 View Post
    I know what you are getting at...Shepherd played loud music on third downs. I guess as long as it is legal it’s OK, personally I didn’t like it but it is what it is. I don’t think it had much affect.

    Are you saying they played music 'during' the play? If that is the case ... not a fan of that at all.

    That's like the home team blasting music during a free throw in basketball. The crowd can make all the noise they can ... but pumped in sound shouldn't be allowed.

    At IUP we have the exact opposite. Our 'competition' band sits in the endzone and loves to blast songs while IUP is in the red zone. Makes sense, right?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    517
    Blog Entries
    86
    Rep Power
    10464

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    @ Nick - Shep '05 ... thanks for clearing that up regarding the poll options not viewable for those using mobile. I added the choices in the original post.
    @ IUPbigINDIANS ... the music ended prior to the actual play

    I added them on the original message at the top, but for those on using a mobile device and can't utilize the actual poll feature, here are the options available regarding what antics should a home team be allowed/utilize to create a home field advantage atmosphere:

    1. Band playing ominous music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    2. Stadium playing music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    3. Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors the home team's first downs and scores
    4. None of the Above - or anything else for that matter. At the D-II level it's hostile and unsportsmanlike.
    5. Other - Explained below (one add-on in the General Discussion section was allowing the crowd to use noisemakers).
    I can be reached at raymond.franze@d2football.com.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Franze View Post
    @ Nick - Shep '05 ... thanks for clearing that up regarding the poll options not viewable for those using mobile. I added the choices in the original post.
    @ IUPbigINDIANS ... the music ended prior to the actual play

    I added them on the original message at the top, but for those on using a mobile device and can't utilize the actual poll feature, here are the options available regarding what antics should a home team be allowed/utilize to create a home field advantage atmosphere:

    1. Band playing ominous music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    2. Stadium playing music for an opponent's upcoming third down attempt.
    3. Stadium announcer enthusiastically favors the home team's first downs and scores
    4. None of the Above - or anything else for that matter. At the D-II level it's hostile and unsportsmanlike.
    5. Other - Explained below (one add-on in the General Discussion section was allowing the crowd to use noisemakers).

    If the music ends prior to the actual snap ... probably no issue and not illegal. In that case, yes, I'd just call it a home field advantage.

  8. Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    As long as they don't play loud music, make obnoxious noises or emphatic sounds during the snap operation and play..I'm fine with the rest. That's home field advantage. Actually, most schools now practice with loud music to create the distractions during practice so really it isn't something people don't prepare for anyway

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    12,969
    Rep Power
    245670

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    Bands are overrated as a "home field advantage" tools...except to the performers in the band and their parents that come to games just to see them play. Until a marching band reaches a certain size, they are more of an embarrassment...kind of like having a 10,000 seat stadium with 8,500 empty seats.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    517
    Blog Entries
    86
    Rep Power
    10464

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    I said I would reveal the inspiration for the poll. A couple of weeks ago at a game, a fan (family member probably) of the visiting team approached the press box staff to--I'll be polite--express frustration over the lack of sportsmanship because the home team played music (recorded songs via speakers, not the band) when the visiting team reached 3rd down. The fan was livid because it wasn't fair as the music didn't play when the home team had an upcoming third down play; and that the visiting team didn't do that to their opponents during home games.

    I looked it up, the MEC policy is that music (speaker, band) in between plays is acceptable as long as it ceases prior to the Center taking his stance over the ball. And I can attest the home team adhered to that policy. The music did not continue while the Center was over the ball.

    Definitely one of the most unique situations I've witnessed at a game.
    I can be reached at raymond.franze@d2football.com.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Franze View Post
    I said I would reveal the inspiration for the poll. A couple of weeks ago at a game, a fan (family member probably) of the visiting team approached the press box staff to--I'll be polite--express frustration over the lack of sportsmanship because the home team played music (recorded songs via speakers, not the band) when the visiting team reached 3rd down. The fan was livid because it wasn't fair as the music didn't play when the home team had an upcoming third down play; and that the visiting team didn't do that to their opponents during home games.

    I looked it up, the MEC policy is that music (speaker, band) in between plays is acceptable as long as it ceases prior to the Center taking his stance over the ball. And I can attest the home team adhered to that policy. The music did not continue while the Center was over the ball.

    Definitely one of the most unique situations I've witnessed at a game.
    Did you tell them to get lost?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    517
    Blog Entries
    86
    Rep Power
    10464

    Default Re: Home Field Advantage

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Did you tell them to get lost?
    As a guest in the press box, I felt it was more appropriate for the school's staff to handle the situation.
    I can be reached at raymond.franze@d2football.com.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •