Thread: Importance of football on campus

Contribute to D2

Default Importance of football on campus

Last Saturday was a tremendous setting for college football and WOU. More than 3K showed up, larger than most if not all hoop games for WOU's excellent men's basketball program. The tailgating was robust and spirited. I saw a lot of familiar faces, former players and classmates. There's not another event on campus outside of graduation that draws this well and showcases our campus.

I have hopes that for these reasons, Humboldt State brings the sport back.

Default Re: Importance of football on campus

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Last Saturday was a tremendous setting for college football and WOU. More than 3K showed up, larger than most if not all hoop games for WOU's excellent men's basketball program. The tailgating was robust and spirited. I saw a lot of familiar faces, former players and classmates. There's not another event on campus outside of graduation that draws this well and showcases our campus.

I have hopes that for these reasons, Humboldt State brings the sport back.
    I'm glad it has picked up at WOU! Maybe with increased crowds Salem may take notice. As far as your hopes, with new admin they have a better shot I think than WWU or UNO who are too far gone from their programs.

Default Re: Importance of football on campus

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    I'm glad it has picked up at WOU! Maybe with increased crowds Salem may take notice. As far as your hopes, with new admin they have a better shot I think than WWU or UNO who are too far gone from their programs.
    HSU needs a president who is open to the thought of bringing it back and can talk anti-athletic CSU chancellor Tim White into it. They need to present this as a community offering, 7,500 community members, alums, fans, parents, coming to campus. If they can't bring it back, 100% of the Eureka/Arcata business community needs to pull their money from the university and athletics donations. Got news for those businessmen and women: some of you are going out of business next fall; and hoop crowds don't pay the bills.