Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GNAC Future

Contribute to D2

Default Re: GNAC Future

I thought a school in Montana had visited CSU-P a couple of years back to discuss adding football and I assume the details of such, what they did to become successful, etc. Don't remember details but perhaps nothing came from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    I thought a school in Montana had visited CSU-P a couple of years back to discuss adding football and I assume the details of such, what they did to become successful, etc. Don't remember details but perhaps nothing came from it?
    I do know we've played Montana State-Billings in baseball. Could it have been them? Does Billings have a Dan DeRose type to help get it off the ground there? I would imagine they would look to the RMAC more than GNAC. Their travel would suck either way, but at least RMAC would bring relatively short trips for them to Chadron, Black Hills and SD Mines.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnequaFats View Post
    I do know we've played Montana State-Billings in baseball. Could it have been them? Does Billings have a Dan DeRose type to help get it off the ground there? I would imagine they would look to the RMAC more than GNAC. Their travel would suck either way, but at least RMAC would bring relatively short trips for them to Chadron, Black Hills and SD Mines.
    Did a bit of searching and yes, it was Billings.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/c...64f5922f0.html

States they were planning to visit several GNAC locations as well but, being 4 years ago, it must've not worked out to bring football back. I know it's a long process but seems that more news would've come out of it since that time.

Quote Originally Posted by IronOre View Post
    Nah, it was the guy that crapped on WOU and SFU despite most likely knowing nothing about their programs. SFU has had a hard time of it, but they've actually got some fight in them this year after picking up a new coach. They also released a plan to upgrade their football field. WOU has had a solid team the entire time I've been following D2 football, and they do it with limited resources. The GNAC's biggest problem regarding football isn't the remaining teams, it's geography and the downward trend football as a whole is facing.
    I do worry about football in general. The whole concussion/CTE thing is hurting participation. I love football, but I'll definitely admit CTE is awful and scary. I hope they can make the game safer and sustainable, but the trend is what the trend is. And again, I did't mean to crap on anyone. I admittedly don't know about WOU. I want SFU in D2. I have nothing but love for Metro Vancouver. I'd love a reason to go back up there. Highway Grill could come call me a wanker in person. (Not meant as a "say it to my face" sort of thing. Just trying to amiable.)
    Last edited by MinnequaFats; 10-25-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
    MSU Billings. I know some alums that are excited about the possibility. I think the feeling is they need to see enrollment closer to 6K before they would add football.

They would be GNAC, as they are a full GNAC member already unlike HSU and APU. They already make the trip to Alaska in other sports for Alaska Fairbanks and Alaska Anchorage.

The NNU (seems strange calling them that and not NNC) idea I hadn't heard much on, but being in the Boise Metro area with Napa that may be an option. Of course they'd likely lose fans come gameday to the Smurf Turf.

The offseason talk is early this year, as this is the offseason talk always for the GNAC along with CWU needs to add lights and bashing the bathroom sinks they used to have.

Any chance the RMAC adds the GNAC as football only members?

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Any chance the RMAC adds the GNAC as football only members?
    Before cutting wrestling, CWU's wrestling program was in the RMAC even when CWU was still NAIA. At this point though, I see the scheduling alliance with the LSC as the most hopeful possibility even with the travel costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    Before cutting wrestling, CWU's wrestling program was in the RMAC even when CWU was still NAIA. At this point though, I see the scheduling alliance with the LSC as the most hopeful possibility even with the travel costs.
    Are you talking about playing 4 to 5 LSC schools a year? If so, Athletic budget would need to be increased. Also, would it be a round robin with LSC schools?

Are you talking about playing 4 to 5 LSC schools a year? If so, Athletic budget would need to be increased. Also, would it be a round robin with LSC schools?
    I heard a bit about the scheduling agreement when I was at WOU. It's yet to be finalized. Here's how it is proposed -- again, don't take this to the bank, it's what I heard: each GNAC team plays 3 games vs. LSC schools. Two of those games for the GNAC schools will be on the road. Don't blame them, GNAC is the one in dire need here and I'm thankful the LSC is at least considering this. Round robin GNAC plus 3 GNAC teams is 9 games. One can find 1 or 2 more to complete the slate. Thank you, LSC, for helping the GNAC out throughout the years.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I heard a bit about the scheduling agreement when I was at WOU. It's yet to be finalized. Here's how it is proposed -- again, don't take this to the bank, it's what I heard: each GNAC team plays 3 games vs. LSC schools. Two of those games for the GNAC schools will be on the road. Don't blame them, GNAC is the one in dire need here and I'm thankful the LSC is at least considering this. Round robin GNAC plus 3 GNAC teams is 9 games. One can find 1 or 2 more to complete the slate. Thank you, LSC, for helping the GNAC out throughout the years.
    That honestly doesnt sound terrible to me. it def helps the lsc fill schedules!

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    That honestly doesnt sound terrible to me. it def helps the lsc fill schedules!
    Works very well, IMO, I'm sure some will complain that it's not perfect, unfair, whatever. We're trying to stay alive out here in the West because the huge state of Cali can't figure out that they have (arguably ) the most prep football talent in America and UC and CSU systems/administrators/campus cultures, that don't want the sport. Then we have schools like Concordia, St. Martin's, MSU-Billings, and NNU, that are too timid to add the sport and are happy with sleepy campuses and getting 200 for men's hoop games and 25 people for women's sporting events.

If this agreement happens, very pleased with both conferences in making this work and for the LSC in agreeing to it. Just a strong rumor right now, we'll see what plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Works very well, IMO, I'm sure some will complain that it's not perfect, unfair, whatever. We're trying to stay alive out here in the West because the huge state of Cali can't figure out that they have (arguably ) the most prep football talent in America and UC and CSU systems/administrators/campus cultures, that don't want the sport. Then we have schools like Concordia, St. Martin's, MSU-Billings, and NNU, that are too timid to add the sport and are happy with sleepy campuses and getting 200 for men's hoop games and 25 people for women's sporting events.

If this agreement happens, very pleased with both conferences in making this work and for the LSC in agreeing to it. Just a strong rumor right now, we'll see what plays out.
    Just so I’m understanding this right... so each GNAC team would play each other GNAC team 3 times which is 9 games. Then the 2 remaining games are against the LSC?

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Just so I’m understanding this right... so each GNAC team would play each other GNAC team 3 times which is 9 games. Then the 2 remaining games are against the LSC?
    I think they just play each other twice, equal 6 games, then play 2 lsc teams on the road and 1 at home =9 total games. They then fill the other 2 as they want.

I think they just play each other twice, equal 6 games, then play 2 lsc teams on the road and 1 at home =9 total games. They then fill the other 2 as they want.
    Or just 1 game for a 10 game season.

Or just 1 game for a 10 game season.
    At this point if this went down i bet they could fill 1 with RMAC opponent and probably take a money game for d1, or schedule a naia patsy.

At this point if this went down i bet they could fill 1 with RMAC opponent and probably take a money game for d1, or schedule a naia patsy.
    That sounds like the most realistic course of action if this works. We've already got @ West Texas and home against CO Mines lined up for next year. Curious who the other 2 LSC teams would be.

One problem is RMAC only has the 1 week open for each team with the 10 game conference schedule. I know CO Mines and Mesa have both played Azusa recently. I think SFU may struggle to get home games just from the fact visitors would need to cross an international border and all that goes with that. Again, as a fan I would love CSU Pueblo to go to Burnaby. I don't know that Coach Wristen, President Mottat or AD Plinske would agree though. I do know the RMAC wanted to to an 11 game closed schedule until Western NM bolted to the LSC. I don't think it would happen, but I could see them possibly being open to adding CWU, APU and/or WOU as a football only member(s). I think the passport/customs thing would preclude SFU. That's my 2 cents. But I'm just a wanker rambling on, so probably all it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Tim, any rumblings about NNU adding football? I have heard that there are some jealous looks across I84 when CoI draws those 5k crowds and is increasing enrollments.
    They should be jealous, but NNU is content to draw 200 people a game in men's hoop with the 80-year old set, and get a sold-out crowd twice: homecoming and the C of I game. It's a weird dynamic there. Pretty solid school academically, I can't figure out their place in the community (I work in Nampa) as they're often not involved in it.

One problem is RMAC only has the 1 week open for each team with the 10 game conference schedule. I know CO Mines and Mesa have both played Azusa recently. I think SFU may struggle to get home games just from the fact visitors would need to cross an international border and all that goes with that. Again, as a fan I would love CSU Pueblo to go to Burnaby. I don't know that Coach Wristen, President Mottat or AD Plinske would agree though. I do know the RMAC wanted to to an 11 game closed schedule until Western NM bolted to the LSC. I don't think it would happen, but I could see them possibly being open to adding CWU, APU and/or WOU as a football only member(s). I think the passport/customs thing would preclude SFU. That's my 2 cents. But I'm just a wanker rambling on, so probably all it's worth.
    RMAC will not be adding more teams for football and I would rather have WOU stay on the West Coast for games and play the Lone Star in a scheduling agreement. I'm not real high on the RMAC, they've taken 2 GNAC teams. I'm done with them 100%.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast