3. Grand Valley State (7-1, 5-1)
    4. Northwest Missouri State (7-1, 7-1)
    5. Indianapolis (6-1, 6-1)
    6. Southern Arkansas (7-1, 7-1)
    7. Fort Hays State (6-2, 6-2)
    8. Harding (6-2, 6-2)
    9. Pittsburg State (6-2, 6-2)
    10. Saginaw Valley State (6-2, 6-2)

I think that's about where I expected UIndy to land, but I was a little surprised that S&T isn't in at all -- even on the 9 or 10 line. The key to me is all about strength of schedule:

FHSU: .526
    Harding: .534
    Pittsburg State: .527
    Saginaw Valley: .509
    Missouri S&T: .475

Also, ironically enough, Truman is hurting Missouri S&T right now (though MST will get their shot later), because with Truman's recent five game win streak, it's given Saginaw a win (a non-conference, regional win, at that) against a +.500 team and a boost to their SOS. The Bulldogs, who still won't make the playoffs even if they win out, will play a huge role in whether the GLVC gets 0, 1, or 2 teams in the postseason.

2. Default Re: Regional Rankings

What will be interesting is Hillsdale finishing the year at UIndy

3. Default Re: Regional Rankings

My post a week ago- we shall see!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&TMinerfan View Post

Here is my problem with the way Div. 2 Football decides playoff entries. I believe the team that is not a traditional power but has just recently become a good team, worthy of being in the playoffs gets punished by either prior years average records or conference affiliation(it is almost like the team has to prove it for multiple years to finally get the benefit of the doubt-I don't think it is fair to that years team). Let me give you an example. Let's say a team finishes with a 9-2 record on the year. One of the losses is to a FCS opponent. The other loss is by a TD or less to a conference team(traditional power) who is ranked. Let's say besides the one loss,none of the conference or non conference games were close games. You would have a team that won every Division 2 game they played that year with the exception of one loss on a late touchdown in the 4th qtr. to a ranked opponent. To me this team deserves entry in to the playoffs, a no brainer right? I believe this exact scenario could very well play out this year and I would bet that this team does not get a playoff bid, based solely on either having a conference thought to be middle of the pack in strength or the fact that they have not been a traditional powerhouse in the past. Now there are lots of games yet to be played so we shall see how things turn out. This just seems like it could happen and would be an obvious unfair outcome. THOUGHTS ????

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    Super Region 3:
    1. Ferris State (8-0, 7-0)
    2. Ouachita Baptist (8-0, 8-0)
    3. Grand Valley State (7-1, 5-1)
    4. Northwest Missouri State (7-1, 7-1)
    5. Indianapolis (6-1, 6-1)
    6. Southern Arkansas (7-1, 7-1)
    7. Fort Hays State (6-2, 6-2)
    8. Harding (6-2, 6-2)
    9. Pittsburg State (6-2, 6-2)
    10. Saginaw Valley State (6-2, 6-2)

I think that's about where I expected UIndy to land, but I was a little surprised that S&T isn't in at all -- even on the 9 or 10 line. The key to me is all about strength of schedule:

FHSU: .526
    Harding: .534
    Pittsburg State: .527
    Saginaw Valley: .509
    Missouri S&T: .475

Also, ironically enough, Truman is hurting Missouri S&T right now (though MST will get their shot later), because with Truman's recent five game win streak, it's given Saginaw a win (a non-conference, regional win, at that) against a +.500 team and a boost to their SOS. The Bulldogs, who still won't make the playoffs even if they win out, will play a huge role in whether the GLVC gets 0, 1, or 2 teams in the postseason.

Default Re: Regional Rankings

My post a week ago- we shall see!!!!

Here is my problem with the way Div. 2 Football decides playoff entries. I believe the team that is not a traditional power but has just recently become a good team, worthy of being in the playoffs gets punished by either prior years average records or conference affiliation(it is almost like the team has to prove it for multiple years to finally get the benefit of the doubt-I don't think it is fair to that years team). Let me give you an example. Let's say a team finishes with a 9-2 record on the year. One of the losses is to a FCS opponent. The other loss is by a TD or less to a conference team(traditional power) who is ranked. Let's say besides the one loss,none of the conference or non conference games were close games. You would have a team that won every Division 2 game they played that year with the exception of one loss on a late touchdown in the 4th qtr. to a ranked opponent. To me this team deserves entry in to the playoffs, a no brainer right? I believe this exact scenario could very well play out this year and I would bet that this team does not get a playoff bid, based solely on either having a conference thought to be middle of the pack in strength or the fact that they have not been a traditional powerhouse in the past. Now there are lots of games yet to be played so we shall see how things turn out. This just seems like it could happen and would be an obvious unfair outcome. THOUGHTS ????
    Even as a GLVC guy, I'm honestly not sure that's the case here. Missouri S&T is only 4-1 in region games (the four two loss teams each have six wins, and that is one category of the selection criteria); S&T's strength of schedule is much lower (as mentioned above); S&T has just one win against a team that is +.500 (FHSU has 4, Pitt State has 3, Harding has 2, Saginaw has 1). They might get a bump next week since Tuskegee is ranked in another region and I don't think they will lose again. You can see the full numbers used in the selection process at the bottom of the regional rankings page on the NCAA website.

That said, FHSU and SVSU will probably each take one more loss. Pitt needs to lose this week for S&T's hopes, because I don't think Harding will take a loss with their remaining schedule.

Even as a GLVC guy, I'm honestly not sure that's the case here. Missouri S&T is only 4-1 in region games (the four two loss teams each have six wins, and that is one category of the selection criteria); S&T's strength of schedule is much lower (as mentioned above); S&T has just one win against a team that is +.500 (FHSU has 4, Pitt State has 3, Harding has 2, Saginaw has 1). They might get a bump next week since Tuskegee is ranked in another region and I don't think they will lose again. You can see the full numbers used in the selection process at the bottom of the regional rankings page on the NCAA website.

That said, FHSU and SVSU will probably each take one more loss. Pitt needs to lose this week for S&T's hopes, because I don't think Harding will take a loss with their remaining schedule.
    Very likely ENMU wins out, that should help the miners as well.
    And their d2 record will be 9-1
    Last edited by Boohaha; 10-23-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Posted this in other forums. I'll post it here for you guys, too.

OBU has UAM, SAU, Henderson left
    SAU has Henderson, Ouchita, UAM left
    Harding has ECU, SEOSU, ATU left

Saginaw has GV, Northwood, Davenport left (Might be the toughest row to hoe left)
    GV has SVSU, Ashland, WSU left
    Ferris has Wayne St, Davenport, Billy J left

Indy has SBU, TSU, Hillsdale
    S and T has Lincoln, McKendree, TSU left

NW has NSu, HAYS, UCM
    Hays has LU, NW, NSU
    Pitt Has MW, WU, MoSo left
    UCO has Moso NSU, ESU
    MW has PSU, UNK, LU left

I took the MIAA down to the 3 loss for bowl game speculation, you can ignore UCO and MW unless a lot of losing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    I took the MIAA down to the 3 loss for bowl game speculation, you can ignore UCO and MW unless a lot of losing happens.
    That's great, thanks Pred.

There is also the question of Ferris missing the playoffs for the ineligible player deal. Not sure what's going to happen there.

Henderson, Truman, and Davenport could all wreak havoc on the regional rankings the next 3 werks.

11. Default Re: Regional Rankings

Posted this in other forums. I'll post it here for you guys, too.

OBU has UAM, SAU, Henderson left
    SAU has Henderson, Ouchita, UAM left
    Harding has ECU, SEOSU, ATU left

Saginaw has GV, Northwood, Davenport left (Might be the toughest row to hoe left)
    GV has SVSU, Ashland, WSU left
    Ferris has Wayne St, Davenport, Billy J left

Indy has SBU, TSU, Hillsdale
    S and T has Lincoln, McKendree, TSU left

NW has NSu, HAYS, UCM
    Hays has LU, NW, NSU
    Pitt Has MW, WU, MoSo left
    UCO has Moso NSU, ESU
    MW has PSU, UNK, LU left
    Thanks for this! Things are heating up. Hillsdale and U Indy got a rivalry going and Hillsdale usually plays U Indy a good game no matter what their record. This year Hillsdale finding those wins. U Indy is well coached prepared etc. as they come but usually lays an egg one game every year? Hopefully that game was vs. GValley but could be Truman this year?? Look forward to the key games next week.

Yeah it looks like everyone has at least one game that is against fairly even competition left. A lot of them have 2.

So I'd have to think there would be very little movement this week--

1. Ferris State (9-0) beat Wayne State (2-7) at home
    2. Ouachita Baptist (9-0) beat Arkansas Monticello (4-5) on the road
    3. Grand Valley State (8-1) beat Saginaw Valley (6-3) on the road
    4. Northwest Missouri State (8-1) beat NE Oklahoma (0-9) on the road
    5. Indianapolis (7-1) beat Southwest Baptist (0-8) on the road
    6. Southern Arkansas (8-1) beat Henderson State (5-4) at a neutral site
    7. Fort Hays State (7-2) beat Lindenwood (3-6) at home
    8. Harding (7-2) beat East Central (2-7) on the road
    9. Pittsburg State (7-2) beat Missouri Western (5-4) on the road
    10. Saginaw Valley State (6-3) lost to Grand Valley State (8-1) at home

My guess is that Missouri S&T (7-1) moves onto the 10-line this week, replacing SVSU.

So I'd have to think there would be very little movement this week--

1. Ferris State (9-0) beat Wayne State (2-7) at home
    2. Ouachita Baptist (9-0) beat Arkansas Monticello (4-5) on the road
    3. Grand Valley State (8-1) beat Saginaw Valley (6-3) on the road
    4. Northwest Missouri State (8-1) beat NE Oklahoma (0-9) on the road
    5. Indianapolis (7-1) beat Southwest Baptist (0-8) on the road
    6. Southern Arkansas (8-1) beat Henderson State (5-4) at a neutral site
    7. Fort Hays State (7-2) beat Lindenwood (3-6) at home
    8. Harding (7-2) beat East Central (2-7) on the road
    9. Pittsburg State (7-2) beat Missouri Western (5-4) on the road
    10. Saginaw Valley State (6-3) lost to Grand Valley State (8-1) at home

My guess is that Missouri S&T (7-1) moves onto the 10-line this week, replacing SVSU.
    There is a chance that Pitt and Harding could switch places this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    What is keeping a 9-1 s&t out at this point?
    They will eventually end up with same record as indy except Indy has H2H?

In comparison to SR 4 where CWU with a horrible sos sits at 8 and looks like they could bump out a 8-2 midwestern come season end for POS.

Ferris has a pretty good Davenport and an easy win against Billy J left,
    OBU has a very tough SAU and Henderson who could jump up and beat someone on the right day.(Also worth a mention that Handerson and OBU are across the street from each other and rivals on a universal scale)
    GV has a very tough Ashland team and a Wayne State team that can jump and beat people on the right day.
    NWMSU has a very tough Hays team left, and central Mo who is pretty down with injuries right now.
    Indy has Truman who could jump up and bite them and a Hillsdale team with only one loss.
    SAU has a very tough OBU, and a UAM team they should beat.
    Hays has a very tough NW and a walk through against winless NSU.
    Harding has SEOSU and Ark Tech, and should probably beat both.
    Pitt has Washburn who they should beat, but who always plays them tough, and a walk through against a 1 win MoSo team.
    S and T has Truman and McKendree who are both middle of the pack but might be good enough to bite them on the wrong day.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    And NW/GV SOS #'s went in opposite directions for them .

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    What is keeping a 9-1 s&t out at this point?
    They will eventually end up with same record as indy except Indy has H2H?

In comparison to SR 4 where CWU with a horrible sos sits at 8 and looks like they could bump out a 8-2 midwestern come season end for POS.
    No idea. I expected MO S&T to be in the RRs last week. The problem with SR3 is the fact that half the region does silo scheduling, so the committee has to use criteria other than SOS to help determine seeding. Essentially, it is a heavy dose of the human element.
    Last edited by Armo Wood; 10-29-2018 at 02:58 PM.

I'm just thinking about the trend towards balance we have seen in the region in recent years regarding PO spots. Then again, with this region, nothing is exactly surprising.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Although I saw the numbers, I haven't looked to see what they used to get them. Still, if they don't already, I wonder why the NCAA won't include teams that are on the schedule for the SOS. I get that anything can happen to cancel that game (and maybe that's why) but when heavy winning/losing teams are on the schedule, it usually has quite the impact on the SOS. In the end, it doesn't much matter but it likely adds to the fans frustrations when the teams bounce around. My suspicion is that most fans don't get that nuance with the RR's. Hell, I don't even get it more often than not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast