Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Alternative playoff seeding plans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Posts
    1,616
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    102532

    Default Alternative playoff seeding plans

    We're in a conference where our likely champion just barely got by the 6th place team last week. The conference is highly competitive, so much so that, even in one of the weaker (if not the weakest) regions we seldom have a number 1 seed. This year we will likely have the 1 & 2 seeds. Our top two teams will likely be 9-0 and 10-0 when they meet in the last game of the regular season. There's a decent possibility both of these teams could get to the championship game, but alas that is not possible. I'm sure there have been times in the past where the same thing has happened in other conferences.

    Now to the point...
    Not that it is the case for us, but if there were ever a case that two teams from the same conference were ranked in the top 4 overall (if there isn't such a ranking there should be), could a feasible method be created to move one of the teams to another region?

    Are there any other ideas on how we can make our playoffs better (keeping cost in mind of course)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Happens often (every year maybe?)
    anyway, just last year in SR3 Ashland was 3 and Ferris 4 seed
    In SR1 Indiana was 1 and Shippensburg was 4

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,800
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Right now, MSU Mankato is ranked #1 and UMD is ranked #5. Because there are 16 teams in the NSIC the two don't play in the regular season this year. I'm thinking that both might have been unbeaten when they met in the quarterfinals back in 2014.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,970
    Blog Entries
    59
    Rep Power
    495956

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    In 2005, Pitt St. was #5 and NW was #6. Guess which two teams went to the regional final.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    In 2005, Pitt St. was #5 and NW was #6. Guess which two teams went to the regional final.
    OBU and Harding???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,915
    Rep Power
    172498

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    We're in a conference where our likely champion just barely got by the 6th place team last week. The conference is highly competitive, so much so that, even in one of the weaker (if not the weakest) regions we seldom have a number 1 seed. This year we will likely have the 1 & 2 seeds. Our top two teams will likely be 9-0 and 10-0 when they meet in the last game of the regular season. There's a decent possibility both of these teams could get to the championship game, but alas that is not possible. I'm sure there have been times in the past where the same thing has happened in other conferences.

    Now to the point...
    Not that it is the case for us, but if there were ever a case that two teams from the same conference were ranked in the top 4 overall (if there isn't such a ranking there should be), could a feasible method be created to move one of the teams to another region?

    Are there any other ideas on how we can make our playoffs better (keeping cost in mind of course)?
    That 6th place team was better than all the SIAC and SAC teams they had beaten earlier in season and last year’s NC runner-up. WALA may be 5-3 but they are over the injury bug and played better than FIT or UWF did against UWG. Bottom-line is the #1 gets the bye but the Wolves and Blazers will undoubtedly play twice this season.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,844
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    We're in a conference where our likely champion just barely got by the 6th place team last week. The conference is highly competitive, so much so that, even in one of the weaker (if not the weakest) regions we seldom have a number 1 seed. This year we will likely have the 1 & 2 seeds. Our top two teams will likely be 9-0 and 10-0 when they meet in the last game of the regular season. There's a decent possibility both of these teams could get to the championship game, but alas that is not possible. I'm sure there have been times in the past where the same thing has happened in other conferences.

    Now to the point...
    Not that it is the case for us, but if there were ever a case that two teams from the same conference were ranked in the top 4 overall (if there isn't such a ranking there should be), could a feasible method be created to move one of the teams to another region?

    Are there any other ideas on how we can make our playoffs better (keeping cost in mind of course)?
    one factor in your region is that you are the only fully funded conference which of course means you have the best teams in the region...also factor in how many fewer teams your region has had recently...then factor in how the other conferences in your region play out of conference games so those weaker teams in weaker conferences take losses before their conference play begins which means at the end of the season you generally end up with maybe one team from each of those other conferences with 2 or less loses...all of that allows for 4+ gsc teams to get in every year

  8. Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    WALA also lost to NGU though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Posts
    1,616
    Rep Power
    102532

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    one factor in your region is that you are the only fully funded conference which of course means you have the best teams in the region...also factor in how many fewer teams your region has had recently...then factor in how the other conferences in your region play out of conference games so those weaker teams in weaker conferences take losses before their conference play begins which means at the end of the season you generally end up with maybe one team from each of those other conferences with 2 or less loses...all of that allows for 4+ gsc teams to get in every year
    4 teams is the exception and because we beat each other up so much 3 isn't guaranteed. The SAC normally gets a couple in and I'd say a little less than half the time they get the 3rd team in as well.

    This is not about the GSC though, because the situation probably wouldn't apply to us year anyway, but when there are clearly two teams from the same conference in the top 4, would it be interesting if there could be a swap?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,844
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    4 teams is the exception and because we beat each other up so much 3 isn't guaranteed. The SAC normally gets a couple in and I'd say a little less than half the time they get the 3rd team in as well.

    This is not about the GSC though, because the situation probably wouldn't apply to us year anyway, but when there are clearly two teams from the same conference in the top 4, would it be interesting if there could be a swap?
    i would just be happy that with the current system you will always have at least 3 playoff teams and will always win the region

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Posts
    1,616
    Rep Power
    102532

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    i would just be happy that with the current system you will always have at least 3 playoff teams and will always win the region
    I guess, but if we end up being the two seed, I'd love to get a crack at one of those powerhouses in the midwest, instead of playing our neighbors for a second time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,830
    Rep Power
    64459

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    In 2005, Pitt St. was #5 and NW was #6. Guess which two teams went to the regional final.
    I was thinking a better response was 2004. Pitt and NW both undefeated, ranked 1 and 2 nationally (irrelevant for playoffs I know) and played last game of the year. Both were top seeds in the region for the playoffs with byes and played again in the regional final.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,830
    Rep Power
    64459

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    Are there any other ideas on how we can make our playoffs better (keeping cost in mind of course)?
    I used to put one together that was much better (at least imo). It used the W/L percentage, SOS, D2 poll, AFCA poll, and Massey poll all combined. Every conference champion was guaranteed a playoff spot (and home game). At large were then filled from the remaining highest seeds of the aggregate score. Conference champions were clustered into regions AFTER they were known to minimize travel. At large filled the closest region to them as it went down. This would have removed the two biggest omissions in post season play that has happened in D2 that I know if in 2011 Sioux Falls and the even worse 2007 Carson Newman debacle.

    It essentially removes EA from possibly removing (expected) top tier teams due to the early regionalization in play today. It rewards conference winners with guaranteed home games. It also rewards stronger conferences/results by filling all at large nationally and not being constrained to a region first.

    All of the 300/500/total mile breakdowns were basically identical to todays usage but involved what would be perceived as a much better overall field. It would also allow for a conference to show it was top flight by being in two and possibly even three regions in a given year.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,844
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by boyblue View Post
    I guess, but if we end up being the two seed, I'd love to get a crack at one of those powerhouses in the midwest, instead of playing our neighbors for a second time.
    it would be nice if they did away w the regions

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,844
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by NewCatEyez View Post
    I used to put one together that was much better (at least imo). It used the W/L percentage, SOS, D2 poll, AFCA poll, and Massey poll all combined. Every conference champion was guaranteed a playoff spot (and home game). At large were then filled from the remaining highest seeds of the aggregate score. Conference champions were clustered into regions AFTER they were known to minimize travel. At large filled the closest region to them as it went down. This would have removed the two biggest omissions in post season play that has happened in D2 that I know if in 2011 Sioux Falls and the even worse 2007 Carson Newman debacle.

    It essentially removes EA from possibly removing (expected) top tier teams due to the early regionalization in play today. It rewards conference winners with guaranteed home games. It also rewards stronger conferences/results by filling all at large nationally and not being constrained to a region first.

    All of the 300/500/total mile breakdowns were basically identical to todays usage but involved what would be perceived as a much better overall field. It would also allow for a conference to show it was top flight by being in two and possibly even three regions in a given year.
    I still laugh when I think about first round playoff games between Michigan teams and Texas teams in a regionalized system

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,890
    Rep Power
    435120

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by dvaara View Post
    I still laugh when I think about first round playoff games between Michigan teams and Texas teams in a regionalized system
    I dont. I made that trip more than once, and its brutal on Thanksgiving weekend.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,970
    Blog Entries
    59
    Rep Power
    495956

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by NewCatEyez View Post
    I was thinking a better response was 2004. Pitt and NW both undefeated, ranked 1 and 2 nationally (irrelevant for playoffs I know) and played last game of the year. Both were top seeds in the region for the playoffs with byes and played again in the regional final.
    Good call.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,824
    Rep Power
    841391

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Yeah Pitt and NW in 04, 05 and I think 08

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,970
    Blog Entries
    59
    Rep Power
    495956

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Yeah Pitt and NW in 04, 05 and I think 08
    2011. 2008 was the second round game where Osborn had eyes in the back of his head on fourth down. NW beat ACU with Bernard Scott, Johnny Knox, and Clyde Gates the following week in the regional final. From 2004 to 2013, there was at least one MIAA team in the regional final.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,366
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Alternative playoff seeding plans

    Ahhhhh...Must be that time of year! First Regional Rankings coming out is bound to result in the obligatory "I know how to "fix" the DII playoffs" thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •