Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitt at MW

Contribute to D2

Default Pitt at MW

I honestly have no idea what Pitt team will show up here. MW runs it well, and Pitts D has been really spot vs. the run.

Pitt runs it well when the moon is in the 7th house and there is a 3 legged cow within 1.5 miles of the stadium., but MW run D is pretty decent.

2. Default Re: Pitt at MW

Even with the dominating win Saturday, it's hard for me to trust that Pitt will show up and actually play like they are capable of. Especially with an outside shot at the playoffs on the line

Everybody is so up and down this year, who knows?

Things I like about the Griffs:
    Very good running game
    Steady qb leadership
    Solid run defense
    Decent kicking game
    Excellent punt return
    Perseverance (not sure that’s the right word, but outside of maybe the UCM game they have battled)

Things I don’t like:
    Penalties
    Pass D - unless we get takeaways, we seem to give up huge chunks of yards
    Penalties
    KO return - it is bizarre to be so good at punt return and to have the struggles we do in KOR (we did have a decent return last week)
    Have I mentioned the penalties?
    Other mental mistakes (ie the fake punt at the end of the half Saturday)

4. Default Re: Pitt at MW

Up until this past week, the Pitt State MO on defense since the middle of last year has been that we've been great shutting down teams that were one-dimensional--for reasons of style, personnel or game weather conditions--but struggled otherwise. The UCM game was maybe our best defensive performance in a while because we severely limited and basically controlled a team that was actually good at both phases of the game.

I think the key question of this game is whether MW can get enough pass offense to keep the Pitt State safeties honest. If they're able to be coming hard downhill at the snap, it'll be a day of tough sledding for the MW offense.

Default Re: Pitt at MW

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Everybody is so up and down this year, who knows?

Things I don’t like:
    Penalties
    Pass D - unless we get takeaways, we seem to give up huge chunks of yards
    Penalties
    neh. youll be fine. if you keep running the annexation of Puerto rico with a triple around the end zone stretch play like you were doing against us, the refs will never call holding on you. you may be the most penalized team in the MIAA but on that day, you guys were squeaky clean and miraculously got the corner EVERY SINGLE time you wanted it.

The offense looked like Beck was much more involved last week. If that continues, Rasputin will pull it off, imo.

And the penalties have killed Pitt, too. Late hits, presnap motion, etc.. Just boneheaded stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    The offense looked like Beck was much more involved last week. If that continues, Rasputin will pull it off, imo.
    I agree, there was just something a little different about the play calling and the flow.
    If he was calling plays, does Weimers get canned at the end of the season?

And the penalties have killed Pitt, too. Late hits, presnap motion, etc.. Just boneheaded stuff.
    Same for MWSU.

It's so bad I can't even cry like it's sour grapes on the vast majority.

Griffs seem to much sharper at home. At ESU this past week was the most complete road game in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
    I agree, there was just something a little different about the play calling and the flow.
    If he was calling plays, does Weimers get canned at the end of the season?
    I doubt it.

Over under on total passes thrown is set at 44.

Blog Entries

This was said last year about Pitt State. Did Beck take over playcalling then give it away and then take it back again?

It may just be that it was successful made it look like something it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Chaney View Post
    This was said last year about Pitt State. Did Beck take over playcalling then give it away and then take it back again?

That is entirely likely, admittedly. Wishful thinking wants Beck to be play calling again.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Chaney View Post

They got the ball to Horack in every phase of the game possible. Weimers has relegated him to blocking back all season. They varied the routes more on pass plays. They stuck to the run, but mixed it up inside vs. outside. They had the TE's running routes at times. It was definitely different than what weimers has been doing to date.

They did still include a lot of the motion stuff that I have hated, but only after establishing an outside run threat.

I'm not saying it wasn't Weimers and a huge light bulb went off for him, but I think at the very least, he had someone in his ear all week.

They got the ball to Horack in every phase of the game possible. Weimers has relegated him to blocking back all season. They varied the routes more on pass plays. They stuck to the run, but mixed it up inside vs. outside. They had the TE's running routes at times. It was definitely different than what weimers has been doing to date.

They did still include a lot of the motion stuff that I have hated, but only after establishing an outside run threat.
    The passing game was most notably more efficient to me. We didn't see a lot of short slant routes or shallow drags. I remember a lot of inside runs being bounced outside with a few speed options and toss/sweeps mixed in, but I admittedly cannot watch a game as close as I'd like to.

Having Horack as primarily a blocking back at 175 lbs for 8 games is inexcusable.

Also the DB punt and kick returners have hurt Pitt at least once a game since game 1. Waiting this long to make changes there is pretty bad, too.

Having Horack as primarily a blocking back at 175 lbs for 8 games is inexcusable.

Also the DB punt and kick returners have hurt Pitt at least once a game since game 1. Waiting this long to make changes there is pretty bad, too.
    I completely agree.

Then again, a lot of it may have been UCM being pretty soft up front and fairly slow at the second level. At least they looked that way to me. It may just be that their D allowed Weimers to do stuff he couldn't do against a NW, Hays, UNK, or MW.

I think this game will be a good test of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
    I completely agree.
    I mean, I can see giving Hardin a chance to learn and improve beccause he's such a home run threat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast