Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mineral Water Bowl Predictions?

Contribute to D2

Default Mineral Water Bowl Predictions?

With the teams going to the playoffs for the most part is already decided. The MWB berth is up for grabs!! There are 6 teams batting for that one spot including 5 with the same record..

St. Cloud St. (6-2) - they still have an outside shot at the playoffs by default but most likely will play for a MWB berth.

Augustana, Bemidji St., Minnesota St.-Moorhead, Sioux Falls and Winona St. are all (5-3).

Who do you think will get the berth?!

Default Re: Mineral Water Bowl Predictions?

I think if we wait 3 weeks, you will have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    With the teams going to the playoffs for the most part is already decided. The MWB berth is up for grabs!! There are 6 teams batting for that one spot including 5 with the same record..

St. Cloud St. (6-2) - they still have an outside shot at the playoffs by default but most likely will play for a MWB berth.

Augustana, Bemidji St., Minnesota St.-Moorhead, Sioux Falls and Winona St. are all (5-3).

Who do you think will get the berth?!
    Currently St. Cloud. But if BSU beats them next week the Beavers will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Currently St. Cloud. But if BSU beats them next week the Beavers will take it.
    Will most certainly be a interesting next few weeks!! I know BSU only gets the berth if they’re alone at the top of the standings of those who don’t make the playoffs. The way tiebreakers are chosen for the MWB are whoever has the best record and who hasn’t been the MWB longer.

For example, if BSU and auggie finish with the same record of 8-3. The MWB committee is going to chose Augustana because they haven’t been there since 2009 and BSU going there in 2016.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Not sure who plays each other yet out of those contenders- or where. SCSU has the leg up now.

not sure if SMSU runs the table and finishes at 7-4 if they could get there. Probably too many things need to happen.

If it somehow happens and they get the bid, I will go for sure. what a great tijme

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    not sure if SMSU runs the table and finishes at 7-4 if they could get there. Probably too many things need to happen.

If it somehow happens and they get the bid, I will go for sure. what a great tijme
    seems unlikely given SCSU plays in the North and would have to lose 2 more.

seems unlikely given SCSU plays in the North and would have to lose 2 more.
    Does SMSU want to give up 90 points again?

I didn't know this.............

Armo Wood
    @ArmoFB
    9s9 seconds ago
    More
    Big news concerning D2 Bowl games: have learned that the Mineral Water Bowl (MWB) is no longer affiliated with the MIAA. That means it's now the NSIC vs At-Large team. Another possible postseason opportunity for the GAC. The MWB is hosted in Excelsior Springs, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post

Armo Wood
    @ArmoFB
    9s9 seconds ago
    More
    Big news concerning D2 Bowl games: have learned that the Mineral Water Bowl (MWB) is no longer affiliated with the MIAA. That means it's now the NSIC vs At-Large team. Another possible postseason opportunity for the GAC. The MWB is hosted in Excelsior Springs, MO.
    Thats kind of cool!

Armo Wood
    @ArmoFB
    9s9 seconds ago
    More
    You or anybody else know the reason why?

I just saw it on Twitter. Armo would know- he is a smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Umdfan35 View Post
    Does SMSU want to give up 90 points again?
    yes if it means a weekend in Missouri. It was a great time!

Question regarding the D2 bowls... I believe the only bowl game actually affiliated with the NSIC is the Mineral Water Bowl, correct? In theory then, could the other D2 bowls that don't have conference tie-ins (like the MWB stating team 2 is 'at-large') select an NSIC team to play? I wholeheartedly realize a bowl is going to want fans and with the the other D2 bowl games being in TX or Arkansas that it would be highly unlikely. Just curious to see if they could invite a NSIC team, or if the conference has a rule disallowing it.

Relatedly, what would it take for a northern/midwest D2 bowl game to exist? NSIC vs GLIAC/GLVC? Would the sponsorship, fan support, etc. exist? Fargodome, Superiordome, US Bank, UNIdome, Edward Jones Dome, I don't know. Just thinking aloud here... Don't want or expect .500 teams to routinely make bowl games in D2 like FBS but the opportunity for a team and fans to get an extra game would be appealing to me as a former player and now fan. Seeing an additional NSIC team in a bowl game would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Day View Post
    Don't want or expect .500 teams to routinely make bowl games in D2 like FBS but the opportunity for a team and fans to get an extra game would be appealing to me as a former player and now fan. Seeing an additional NSIC team in a bowl game would be fun.
    It would also depend on the team that was invited. I think an up and coming team would be really excited to go. But a team that makes the playoffs often might be disappointed on their season and turn the invitation down. I'm not 100% sure but I think team players might vote on whether then want to go.

Coaches like the games because they can get a lot more practices in- but depending where and when the games are played players may or may not get excited. Maybe if the game was inside that time of year it would be more appealing. I doubt if in any case there would be much of a crowd. I loved to play football and would vote yes but maybe after an 11 game season some might not.

16. Default Re: Mineral Water Bowl Predictions?

Question regarding the D2 bowls... I believe the only bowl game actually affiliated with the NSIC is the Mineral Water Bowl, correct? In theory then, could the other D2 bowls that don't have conference tie-ins (like the MWB stating team 2 is 'at-large') select an NSIC team to play? I wholeheartedly realize a bowl is going to want fans and with the the other D2 bowl games being in TX or Arkansas that it would be highly unlikely. Just curious to see if they could invite a NSIC team, or if the conference has a rule disallowing it.

Relatedly, what would it take for a northern/midwest D2 bowl game to exist? NSIC vs GLIAC/GLVC? Would the sponsorship, fan support, etc. exist? Fargodome, Superiordome, US Bank, UNIdome, Edward Jones Dome, I don't know. Just thinking aloud here... Don't want or expect .500 teams to routinely make bowl games in D2 like FBS but the opportunity for a team and fans to get an extra game would be appealing to me as a former player and now fan. Seeing an additional NSIC team in a bowl game would be fun.

Actually I think it could and would work, if it was a "fun event" and reward for the participating teams. If it could be tied in to some other area event (or events) and hosted in an area with various entertainment options, then it definitely wouldn't be looked at as a drag and consolation punishment. But again, it has to be done right and take place in the right location. Also, for this area, a game inside is a must.

If a bowl has all of those 3, any group/sponsor with a basic marketing background, could make that work. (IMO).

It has something to do with the Corsicana Bowl announcement on Oct. 5th regarding highest ranked non-PO teams from the MIAA & LSC teams meeting up in their bowl game. Many of us just figured that the MIAA would continue to be affiliated with the MWB. That assumption turned out to be wrong.

You can see the entire thread posts, here: https://twitter.com/ArmoFB/status/1054834358396248064
    Last edited by Armo Wood; 10-23-2018 at 05:04 PM.

It would also depend on the team that was invited. I think an up and coming team would be really excited to go. But a team that makes the playoffs often might be disappointed on their season and turn the invitation down. I'm not 100% sure but I think team players might vote on whether then want to go.

Coaches like the games because they can get a lot more practices in- but depending where and when the games are played players may or may not get excited. Maybe if the game was inside that time of year it would be more appealing. I doubt if in any case there would be much of a crowd. I loved to play football and would vote yes but maybe after an 11 game season some might not.
    MSU players wished they had a vote when we went to the Kanza bowl. We all hated that game, 2 extra weeks for practice in the cold...then travel to Topeka, Kansas for a very cold game. D2 bowls are only good for the coaches, players are ready to be done if they don't make the playoffs.

good grief...in the 4 wins by SMSU, those 4 teams have a combined record of 6-26! Not one of those teams is close to .500 and they got beat by a 2-6 Wayne St. At some point you have to actually beat someone to get respect, SMSU is just plain awful against good teams.

20. Default Re: Mineral Water Bowl Predictions?

I guess my biggest concern is attendance. Is 2,000-3,000 enough to support a yearly bowl game at an indoor venue?

It's a legitimate question - I really don't know.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast