Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

Contribute to D2

Default OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

I did a similar question on the general discussion but what is the NSIC’s best sport overall in your guys opinion? I mainly follow football and a little of basketball so I don’t know much about the NSIC outside of those 2 sports.

This technically belongs in the general discussion for other sports but I feel posting here would get more feedback.

Default Re: OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

Volleyball. By a pretty comfortable margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Volleyball. By a pretty comfortable margin.
    That was my first guess because I know CSP is a dynasty but didn’t know if other teams were really good..

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    That was my first guess because I know CSP is a dynasty but didn’t know if other teams were really good..
    In what could be qualified as a down year, the NSIC still has three teams in the top 10 and four in the top 16 with another receiving votes just outside the top 25 in this week's coaches' poll.

1 Northern State (39) 1166 21-1 2
    2 Nebraska-Kearney (4) 1116 24-1 3
    3 Concordia-St. Paul 1042 19-4 4
    4 Western Washington (1) 1006 17-3 6
    5 Cal State San Bernardino (3) 988 18-2 1
    6 Tampa 953 20-1 8
    7 Minnesota Duluth 940 19-4 7
    8 Drury 810 20-3 12
    9 Ferris State 800 18-4 5
    10 Cal State L.A. 696 18-1 14
    11 Washburn 661 22-1 9
    12 West Florida 645 19-4 13
    13 Tarleton State 589 20-2 15
    14 Rockhurst 516 22-3 10
    15 Central Oklahoma 481 21-4 17
    16 Southwest Minnesota State 433 15-7 11
    17 Central Missouri 404 17-6 16
    18 Palm Beach Atlantic 371 19-3 18
    19 Cal Poly Pomona 339 17-3 24
    20 Wheeling Jesuit 329 21-3 20
    21 Gannon 221 21-1 23
    22 Texas A&M-Commerce 209 18-5 22
    23 Lewis 144 16-6 19
    24 Michigan Tech 127 18-4 25
    25 Barry 107 20-2 NR
    Others receiving votes and listed on two or more ballots: Colorado School of Mines 87; Wingate 72; Azusa Pacific 69; NW Missouri State 59; Central Washington 45; Wayne State (Neb.) 38; Illinois-Springfield 23; Ashland 18; Biola University 14; Angelo State 12; Dixie State-Utah 8; Findlay 7; Regis 6; Truman 6; Shippensburg 2;

Augustana and Winona are also quite familiar to the top 25.

SMSU has been in the top 25 for 167 weeks and counting, and also has the reigning Division II POY... someone who played locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest69 View Post
    In what could be qualified as a down year, the NSIC still has three teams in the top 10 and four in the top 16 with another receiving votes just outside the top 25 in this week's coaches' poll.
    Who else is good in volleyball? I know SMSU is pretty good too and that volleyball is one of the very few sports MSU Mankato isn’t generally great at.

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    1 Northern State (39) 1166 21-1 2
    2 Nebraska-Kearney (4) 1116 24-1 3
    3 Concordia-St. Paul 1042 19-4 4
    4 Western Washington (1) 1006 17-3 6
    5 Cal State San Bernardino (3) 988 18-2 1
    6 Tampa 953 20-1 8
    7 Minnesota Duluth 940 19-4 7
    8 Drury 810 20-3 12
    9 Ferris State 800 18-4 5
    10 Cal State L.A. 696 18-1 14
    11 Washburn 661 22-1 9
    12 West Florida 645 19-4 13
    13 Tarleton State 589 20-2 15
    14 Rockhurst 516 22-3 10
    15 Central Oklahoma 481 21-4 17
    16 Southwest Minnesota State 433 15-7 11
    17 Central Missouri 404 17-6 16
    18 Palm Beach Atlantic 371 19-3 18
    19 Cal Poly Pomona 339 17-3 24
    20 Wheeling Jesuit 329 21-3 20
    21 Gannon 221 21-1 23
    22 Texas A&M-Commerce 209 18-5 22
    23 Lewis 144 16-6 19
    24 Michigan Tech 127 18-4 25
    25 Barry 107 20-2 NR
    Others receiving votes and listed on two or more ballots: Colorado School of Mines 87; Wingate 72; Azusa Pacific 69; NW Missouri State 59; Central Washington 45; Wayne State (Neb.) 38; Illinois-Springfield 23; Ashland 18; Biola University 14; Angelo State 12; Dixie State-Utah 8; Findlay 7; Regis 6; Truman 6; Shippensburg 2;

Augustana and Winona are also quite familiar to the top 25.
    Never mind! Thanks!

The conference has been very strong in volleyball for quite a while and Northern has been really good for a few years. That being said, I've seen more volleyball games this year than the rest of my life combined and judging by the crowds in Aberdeen I think there are many others that can say the same. It has been really entertaining to watch these games, and I highly encourage other NSIC fans to go watch a couple of games, especially if one of the top 5-6 teams are playing. It's worth your time.

I feel strongly that any of the top three could win the championship this year but wouldn't sleep on SMSU either. The Wolves will be tested in Marshall this weekend. We all have Concordia to thank for the bar rising in the conference for volleyball.

When the Wolves knocked off #1 Duluth two or three years ago at home and beating #1 Concordia this year there was well over 2,000 pol there I believe and it was louder than most basketball games played there, other than state B boys basketball state championship when there is 8,000 screaming hoops fans.

I agree, get out to a volleyball game. They are fun, fast paced and only take an hour and a half usually at most.

10. Default Re: OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The conference has been very strong in volleyball for quite a while and Northern has been really good for a few years. That being said, I've seen more volleyball games this year than the rest of my life combined and judging by the crowds in Aberdeen I think there are many others that can say the same. It has been really entertaining to watch these games, and I highly encourage other NSIC fans to go watch a couple of games, especially if one of the top 5-6 teams are playing. It's worth your time.
    Absolutely, I second this.

Volleyball is a big deal in southwestern Minnesota at every level, so it creates an atmosphere of knowledgeable fans who are passionate about the sport. I don't know if they track attendance, but we can get our gym pretty full on a good day. Makes me curious to see how well we stack up compared to the bottom half of Division I.

11. Default Re: OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

Never mind! Thanks!
    This probably isn't worth much in this discussion, but I thought it was interesting.

As far as I can tell, Minnesota colleges compete in 4* divisions of volleyball (NCAA DI/II/III and NJCAA DIII). In 2016, we sent a team in every division to at least the final four (Minnesota/Concordia/Northwestern/Ridgewater) earning 1 championship and 1 runner up.

*The outlier I found is Oak Hills Christian, a small bible college outside of Bemidji that competes in the NCCAA. I'm not entirely certain how the NCCAA organizes, or if there are any other members who are not members of NCAA D-III.

NSIC attendance averages and how they rank on a national level:
    2. Northern 993
    3. Duluth 859
    11. Wayne 598
    12. Concordia 588
    15. Southwest 545
    18. St Cloud 460

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    This probably isn't worth much in this discussion, but I thought it was interesting.

As far as I can tell, Minnesota colleges compete in 4* divisions of volleyball (NCAA DI/II/III and NJCAA DIII). In 2016, we sent a team in every division to at least the final four (Minnesota/Concordia/Northwestern/Ridgewater) earning 1 championship and 1 runner up.

*The outlier I found is Oak Hills Christian, a small bible college outside of Bemidji that competes in the NCCAA. I'm not entirely certain how the NCCAA organizes, or if there are any other members who are not members of NCAA D-III.
    SW Mustang: The NCCAA is the National Christian College Athletic Association and they have 2 divisions. One with some athletic grants (D1) and the rest without (D2). Most of these schools are very small. Very few are members of D3. A few schools that came out of there on the D1 side are Gardner Webb (current D1 of the Big South), Cal Baptist who in the past were NAIA & NCCAA and they are moving up to D1. Azusa Pacific is now D2 after coming out of the NCCAA. But generally, these colleges are very small and Bemidji's Oak Hills Christian College is an example of NCCAA D2. North Central University out of St. Paul is a member and so is the University of Northwestern, and they are D3 and will select D3 over the NCCAA whenever there is a national tournament conflict. https://thenccaa.org/

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

The NSIC volleyball playoffs are often tougher than the Elite 8.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
    SW Mustang: The NCCAA is the National Christian College Athletic Association and they have 2 divisions. One with some athletic grants (D1) and the rest without (D2). Most of these schools are very small. Very few are members of D3. A few schools that came out of there on the D1 side are Gardner Webb (current D1 of the Big South), Cal Baptist who in the past were NAIA & NCCAA and they are moving up to D1. Azusa Pacific is now D2 after coming out of the NCCAA. But generally, these colleges are very small and Bemidji's Oak Hills Christian College is an example of NCCAA D2. North Central University out of St. Paul is a member and so is the University of Northwestern, and they are D3 and will select D3 over the NCCAA whenever there is a national tournament conflict. https://thenccaa.org/
    I remember when MSU played Crossroads of Rochester. I was cheering for them at the end to score so that the margin wasn't over 100 points. They scored at the buzzer- I think that the final was 125-26. They closed in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_College

Good info here, but just want to add that Northwestern is a D1 member of the NCCAA, North Central is D2. The other regional NCCAA D2 school people have maybe heard of before is Trinity Bible College in Ellendale, ND, though they seem to have stopped scheduling up this high.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I remember when MSU played Crossroads of Rochester. I was cheering for them at the end to score so that the margin wasn't over 100 points. They scored at the buzzer- I think that the final was 125-26. They closed in 2016.

That had to have been towards the end before the school closed? They had a semi-competitive team 15 years ago. Lost to SMSU 99-90, though that Mustang team was down compared to our standards of the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    That had to have been towards the end before the school closed? They had a semi-competitive team 15 years ago. Lost to SMSU 99-90, though that Mustang team was down compared to our standards of the last 20 years.
    I'd have to look it up. The year before I think that they had been national runnerup. Lucky for me I only had to drive from Nicollet. An intersquad game would have been more interesting.

19. Default Re: OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post

I've been on their campus a few times. I was curious if their website still worked. Apparently it does, and while "Crossroads" itself no longer exists, it looks as if there is a pretty solid plan in place to reopen a school on the former campus. I guess I didn't know such a thing was happening.

20. Default Re: OT- what sport is the best for the NSIC?

That makes a lot of sense. I got tripped up on the dual-membership involving those two schools. Thanks for clearing thar up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast