Thread: Most Scenic Stadiums in D2

Contribute to D2

I wouldn’t say Farrell is that scenic unless you are sitting on the visitor side.

Default Re: Most Scenic Stadiums in D2

Here you go ... interesting topic:

What are the best stadiums in the EAST and WEST? Team performance is irrelevant ... just stadium quality, aesthetic, etc.

West-wise, I'd say:

1. Mercyhurst (no track and nice views)
    2. Slippery Rock
    3. California (visiting side bleachers are putrid which bumps SRU ahead of it)

4-6 (in no order) IUP, Edinboro, Clarion -- all three have potential to be much better

7. Seton Hill (historic local stadium with great backdrop but it feels like the home team is just renting the place)
    8. Gannon (feels too much like a soccer/football/softball/intramural facility ... and parking is awful)

Lock Haven is by far the best view in the PSAC.

Guess we can provide a little balance here. PSAC East (in 2019):

1. Shepherd ... I've said before, this is just a gorgeous venue, coming off the MD/WV bridge, the sunken field off the highway.
    2. Lock Haven ... Forget the football; the view is sublime.
    3. Bloomsburg ... Pretty surroundings.
    4. West Chester ... Nice-looking, not an all-timer.
    5. Millersville ... Sugar Bowl.
    6. Shippensburg ... Just a little too antiseptic in that corner of campus. Had they put the stadium where the old one was (the current field hockey/soccer venue), it would have felt more homey.
    7. East Stroudsburg
    8. Kutztown
    Last edited by jrshooter; 10-17-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Of those I've attended a game:

1. Slippery Rock: lots of room, great crowds and atmosphere, you feel like you're at a college game
    2. Lock Haven: parking is right there and the view is the best in the conference
    3. Edinboro: away side is large like SR but is usually empty and sits far from the field
    4. California: away side is small and a long walk from parking, restrooms, and food
    5. East Stroudsburg: only downside is parking - can't say much for typical experience because I was only there for a playoff game
    6. Clarion: metal home side is COLD and away side is almost nothing; stadium is on other side of town from campus
    7. IUP: no parking, haven't been back with new away side

I guess I'll chime in here... Of the places I have seen a game at, here are my favorites (obviously I am a tad biased...)

1) Bloomsburg (bias): the fall views over the mountains are simply sublime. Great atmosphere as well for a game!
    2) West Chester: Views aren't spectacular but the atmosphere is fantastic. Feels like a college game should.
    3) Lock Haven: Views for days!!!
    4) California: Great atmosphere and its just so nice and rustic out there.
    5) Shippensburg: Love the atmosphere but the views are lacking
    6) Kutztown: I love that their stadium is located right on campus. Very college feel to it.
    7) Mercyhurst: Beautiful facilities but it has the atmosphere of a bad HS game.
    8) ESU: PARKING SUCKS HERE
    9) Millersville: Ok, I guess
    It's always sunny in #HuskyNation

lock haven stadium veiw gets my vote for # 1

When you say 'scenic' that refers to the natural surroundings, IMO. Some of the stadiums ranked are in great locations. In the PSAC, the only one that fits the bill is LHU. The view is magnificent. That said, I always enjoy the surroundings at Bloom and West Chester. And, of course, IUP. Never been to Shephardstown but it looks great in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    When you say 'scenic' that refers to the natural surroundings, IMO. Some of the stadiums ranked are in great locations. In the PSAC, the only one that fits the bill is LHU. The view is magnificent. That said, I always enjoy the surroundings at Bloom and West Chester. And, of course, IUP. Never been to Shephardstown but it looks great in the pictures.
    Come on, man. You don't like the crumbling, rust-looking concrete at Miller (that's now not hidden by the old death-trap bleachers)? Fix that up and get rid of the prison fencing around the perimeter and it will be a major improvement. The new bleachers, inside fencing and visitors' restroom were a a good start. But, there's long way to go.

Certainly hard to make a 'scenery' case for Miller although Eberly is a nice-looking building. The Field House has seen better days and needs all new windows, brick work and fresh paint.

Yous guys obsession over Shepherd is astonishing. Stadium is nice and all but jeez Laweez I can’t wait for you guys to roll out a red carpet when they get to the PSAC and feed them grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Come on, man. You don't like the crumbling, rust-looking concrete at Miller (that's now not hidden by the old death-trap bleachers)? Fix that up and get rid of the prison fencing around the perimeter and it will be a major improvement. The new bleachers, inside fencing and visitors' restroom were a a good start. But, there's long way to go.

Certainly hard to make a 'scenery' case for Miller although Eberly is a nice-looking building. The Field House has seen better days and needs all new windows, brick work and fresh paint.
    It really is a special place for me, although I haven't been there in several years. It's in Indiana, PA. From the home side you look out to the White's Woods hills. Even from the visitor side looking up to the rolling terrain around Mack Park and the hospital. It's not bad.

I'm not talking about bleachers. I have yet to see scenic bleachers. Or a scenic pressbox.

Farrell Stadium, great views when the leaves are changing, bonus, you don't have to drive over an hour to find civilization again.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    Yous guys obsession over Shepherd is astonishing. Stadium is nice and all but jeez Laweez I can’t wait for you guys to roll out a red carpet when they get to the PSAC and feed them grapes.
    It'll be the most scenic venue in the PSAC next September. I'll stand behind that.

As far as football goes, dismiss them at your own risk. I hope Mon Valley gets the chance to.

16. Default Re: Most Scenic Stadiums in D2

Fun thread! Full disclosure: I haven't been to most of these places for roughly ten to fifteen years now, so it's entirely possible things have changed. Also, with rare exceptions, I got to experience most of these places while I was in a 40-ft high scissor lift or the pressbox, which... distorts my view somewhat. For my money though...

Tier 1 - Breathtaking
    1. Lock Haven - Have to agree with everyone else here - the view is pretty incredible.

Tier 2 - Pretty Good
    2. Slippery Rock - Sure, I'm biased, but in another life I got to watch numerous football games from the "best seat in the house" that wasn't the Stadium Lodge.
    3. Bloomsburg - Stands out in my mind as really nice, even if I can't put my finger on why.
    4. Kutztown - Echoing what others have said, the fact that it is right on campus is very nice.

Tier 3 - Doesn't Stand Out in my Memory
    5. Millersville - Kind of nondescript, but I liked it better than the next three.
    6. East Stoudsburg - The view was nice, but I spent most of it biting my tongue, so as not to embarrass the two student announcers next to me that had evidently done no research on SRU or its players.
    7. Shippensburg - Not good, not bad.
    8. Edinboro - To be fair - it seemed like every game I attended here it was either snowing or a torrential downpour, which detracts from my memory of the place.

Tier 4 - I just don't like the architecture or the scenery
    9. California - Not scenic at all to me, however does score points ever since they got the new turf, the GIANT (I'm convinced I have not seen a larger center-field logo in all of sports) Vulcan in the middle of the field if that's still there, and the scoreboard.
    10. Indiana - Haven't been there since the upgrades, so it's probably nicer than when I was there. Really just too hemmed in by everything else to feel super scenic to me - needs room to breathe. Points for the trees between the stadium and the fieldhouse - are they pine trees? Are there not trees there at all? Were they telephone poles and I just thought they were trees? Drawing a blank. Whatever they were I liked them enough to put them above Clarion or SHU.
    11. Clarion - Despite placing near last on the list of places I've been, not bad - just not much of a view of well, anything.Really, except for SHU I could make a case for any of these to be in Tier 3 instead of Tier 4... but that's boring.
    12. Seton Hill - My hometown, which made it one of my favorite places to visit, but also kept assaulting me with the reminder that this was a high school stadium in the heart of a city. Good view if you like buildings, I guess?

They were all nice places to watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by kodos View Post
    Lock Haven is by far the best view in the PSAC.
    Lock Haven has the best forward view, but for my money, Redman Stadium at Bloomsburg, and Seth Grove Stadium at Shippensburg offer the most scenic views of the areas surrounding them...Mansfield has good views from the smallest "Press Box" in the conference...

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    It'll be the most scenic venue in the PSAC next September. I'll stand behind that.

As far as football goes, dismiss them at your own risk. I hope Mon Valley gets the chance to.
    I disagree. The stadium sits in a bowl and you can't see much other than the trees surrounding the field...It's a very nice complex, but the view isn't great...

Default Most Scenic Stadiums in D2

The Cig isn’t scenic but the view of the hills on the northwest side of Indiana from the home side is still nice.

This was from the Millersville game and I only got part of the hills...

Last edited by IUPNation; 10-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Looking out over the Endless Mountains from Redman Stadium in Bloomsburg on a crisp Fall day with the leaves in full color is pretty hard to beat for scenic beauty. Never been to Lock Haven's stadium, so I can't comment.