Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFCA Coaches Poll

Contribute to D2

Default AFCA Coaches Poll

Is it just me or does anyone else find the poll this week to be a bit wack?

GV drops 6 spots from #2 to #8 for losing to the #3 team in the nation on a trick play? Kudos to Ferris. Good play. Y’all deserve that #2 spot right now. But c’mon man.

I don’t care how you cut it, it was a top 3 matchup. A loss to a top 3 team that went the distance shouldn’t warrant a 6 spot drop in the polls. They don’t matter as the regional rankings come out soon, but damn. I find that a bit ridiculous.

Default Re: AFCA Coaches Poll

Quote Originally Posted by bankslaker View Post

GV drops 6 spots from #2 to #8 for losing to the #3 team in the nation on a trick play? Kudos to Ferris. Good play. Y’all deserve that #2 spot right now. But c’mon man.

I don’t care how you cut it, it was a top 3 matchup. A loss to a top 3 team that went the distance shouldn’t warrant a 6 spot drop in the polls. They don’t matter as the regional rankings come out soon, but damn. I find that a bit ridiculous.
    What did you think was going to happen? This is a pointless thing to have any issue with. Where in any poll has any team ever lost and only dropped one or two spots? It is essentially routine to drop at least five spots in the best case scenario after a loss.

Blog Entries

That’s how polls work....especially a poll done by “coaches”....Most “coaches” may know their conference well, some know their region well, but few (if any) follow much outside of their region. So, any GLIAC “coaches” probably didn’t drop GV all that far, SR3 coaches maybe just a little further, but “coaches” in, say, the southeast region of the country (or anywhere else) just see that GV is now 6-1 (oblivious to who they lost to) and drop them much further. It’s a big flaw to the AFCA poll, in my opinion, but you will see it to a lesser extent in our poll, too.

If you lose, you’re going to drop, regardless of who it was to. Remember, most people voting didn’t even see the game.

agreed - but I will see what D2 poll does - 3 lost to 2 in the last couple minutes of the game - 5 lost, to me GV should drop to 5, no further - but who knows, we will see

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Actually, I figured that GV would drop to 10 or lower. It seams like a loss.. any loss, takes one down 10+ slots. I typically question that premise, but it's pretty usual. But I also doubt much effort is put into these things. AND I do wish that poll voters wouldn't just drop or raise teams, but rather do the smell test and consider if they think a team below would likely knock off the team above. If so, they should be higher. For me, it's throw the record out and look at the quality of the team. I think many a voter looks to much at records (though they do count for something) and not quality of team.
    But yeah, in D2, these don't mean a thing. Now soon we can start moaning about the criteria used in the RRs. After all these years, I'm still not clear how they figure it out there. Some have been close, but every year we all see at least a few head scratchers out there. Keeps the boards active.
    Last edited by Redwing; 10-15-2018 at 11:49 AM.

If GV had been given a participation ribbon, would the drop be a little less hurtful?

Regional Rankings come out soon. That is the "poll" that warrants attention.

I just find it ridiculous that a team that was the #2 in America loses to the #3 team and drops that far.

I never said I wanted a participation ribbon. #8 just seems low for a team that’s only loss is to the now #2 team in the nation. By no means am I saying they should only drop 1-2 spots. I would think #5 or #6 is where GV should be, but oh well.

If all teams win out, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the regional rankings with NWMSU and GV each having 1 loss and OBU undefeated. Still haven't figured out their formula for that but can't see OBU handling either 1 loss team in head-to-head. Wonder how much SOS factors in over a team being undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    If all teams win out, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the regional rankings with NWMSU and GV each having 1 loss and OBU undefeated. Still haven't figured out their formula for that but can't see OBU handling either 1 loss team in head-to-head. Wonder how much SOS factors in over a team being undefeated.
    Well the problem for OBU is that their conference plays nothing but conference games. Everyone plays each other. So all of their SOS should be .500. GV is going to have a good SOS because UIndy is going to be undefeated most likely (outside of the GV game) and Dixie is going to finish, at worst, .500.

I don't know how often it is an undefeated team is below any team with one loss, though. I haven't paid enough attention to the records of the top few seeds to see if that happens often. I would think the one loss for GV or NWMS is enough to push them below any undefeated, no matter who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    Says the guy who's team was nearly upset in the first round by this mostly intact and improved Ouachita squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    Says the guy who's team was nearly upset in the first round by this mostly intact and improved Ouachita squad.
    What team was it that beat Ferris in the Regional Final? I don't recall that team's conference affiliation....

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    What team was it that beat Ferris in the Regional Final? I don't recall that team's conference affiliation....
    Hmmmm right on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite remember the team, but I do believe they were from the GAC.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Well the problem for OBU is that their conference plays nothing but conference games. Everyone plays each other. So all of their SOS should be .500. GV is going to have a good SOS because UIndy is going to be undefeated most likely (outside of the GV game) and Dixie is going to finish, at worst, .500.

I don't know how often it is an undefeated team is below any team with one loss, though. I haven't paid enough attention to the records of the top few seeds to see if that happens often. I would think the one loss for GV or NWMS is enough to push them below any undefeated, no matter who it is.
    I'm not positive, but pretty sure that only in region OOC games count. I suspect this could work in GV's favor since only Indy would get pulled in... This is for the SOS number. Not sure if/how it shows up in the other metrics. The out of regions do show in W/L metric, but no clue on those other ones. And rumor has it that the Road record kept GV out last season. If so, that could hurt NW's rank with the one road loss... assuming GV wins out (which is not a lock with Saggy coming up.)

Still, no clue how one can jump an undefeated if one has a 1 loss. So much has changed since that GV/NW bump down.

I just find it ridiculous that a team that was the #2 in America loses to the #3 team and drops that far.

I never said I wanted a participation ribbon. #8 just seems low for a team that’s only loss is to the now #2 team in the nation. By no means am I saying they should only drop 1-2 spots. I would think #5 or #6 is where GV should be, but oh well.
    So what if Ferris loses later in the season and they were actually overrated at #3, should GV drop as well due to losing to what is now say the #15 team? How far do we go with this? It could be endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    I'm not positive, but pretty sure that only in region OOC games count. I suspect this could work in GV's favor since only Indy would get pulled in... This is for the SOS number. Not sure if/how it shows up in the other metrics. The out of regions do show in W/L metric, but no clue on those other ones. And rumor has it that the Road record kept GV out last season. If so, that could hurt NW's rank with the one road loss... assuming GV wins out (which is not a lock with Saggy coming up.)

Still, no clue how one can jump an undefeated if one has a 1 loss. So much has changed since that GV/NW bump down.
    There's an in-region record criteria that Dixie would not be included as a win in, but SOS is determined using all opponents, regardless of which region they are.

This poll ranking means absolutely nothing so who cares...we will get another chance to play Xerris at their place IF we take care of our business. First things first...beat DU.

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    This poll ranking means absolutely nothing so who cares...we will get another chance to play Xerris at their place IF we take care of our business. First things first...beat DU.
    If you say "GV has to play them one game at a time", I will throw up in my mouth....

Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    Minnesota State Schedule looks so week. No team on schedule in top 25. How are they no#1

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    You loss. Go away. We "weren't" mostly intact, had our backup in half the game and still beat you. Stop living in the past. I've watched OBU a couple of times this year along with GV and NWMS...my thought is you wouldn't beat them head to head. If you disagree no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    If you say "GV has to play them one game at a time", I will throw up in my mouth....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast