Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSIC in the NFL

Contribute to D2

Default NSIC in the NFL

I'm sure some have seen this pic, but in case you haven't, great showing by the NSIC!! Caption says: Just some small school guys living big time dreams! #NSIC @NorthernSunConf

Default Re: NSIC in the NFL

Who's#92 on the Cardinals? Is that the USF kid?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Who's#92 on the Cardinals? Is that the USF kid?
    Yes. Dennis Gardeck.

Wait, Adam Thielen went to MSU? I wish announcers would bring that up more often.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Wait, Adam Thielen went to MSU? I wish announcers would bring that up more often.....
    LOL. Seriously tho, he's has a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by StateU View Post
    LOL. Seriously tho, he's has a great story.
    Did you guys know he was undrafted? I couldn't believe it either the first thousand times I heard it.

Also, the collective Augie/NSIC/D2 thirst to make Zylstra their own is pathetic. The dude caught 1 ball for Augie, he's a Cobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Did you guys know he was undrafted? I couldn't believe it either the first thousand times I heard it.

Also, the collective Augie/NSIC/D2 thirst to make Zylstra their own is pathetic. The dude caught 1 ball for Augie, he's a Cobber.
    Don't worry soon there will be another Zylstra
    from the NSIC receiving in the NFL but this one's a Maverick

Apparently, Thielen only got a $500 scholarship. Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Apparently, Thielen only got a $500 scholarship. Incredible!
    That's a product of Thielen signing so late in the recruiting process, according to Hoffner (read that somewhere, but can't find it now)

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Don't worry soon there will be another Zylstra
    from the NSIC receiving in the NFL but this one's a Maverick
    What are the chances not only he plays on Sunday but he gets drafted by a team?!

Thielen is a great person, and it's great to see him having success at the professional level. Haven't met the other four gentlemen, but I'm sure they are also fine individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    What are the chances not only he plays on Sunday but he gets drafted by a team?!
    Better each week

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Scouts have already looked at him.

The problem is, NFL teams are afraid of hearing boos on draft day. Especially now when they have made it a complete clown show. Now Treadwell had a good game on Sunday, but overall he has sucked. Why does he keep getting chances? Because he was a high draft pick that cost big money and the bosses are afraid that if they cut him and he becomes All-Pro somewhere else that they will hear about it. In baseball, David Ortiz would be an example.

Plus they think that they can hire a free agent for cheap rather than using the draft choice. It is a numbers game.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Scouts have already looked at him.

The problem is, NFL teams are afraid of hearing boos on draft day. Especially now when they have made it a complete clown show. Now Treadwell had a good game on Sunday, but overall he has sucked. Why does he keep getting chances? Because he was a high draft pick that cost big money and the bosses are afraid that if they cut him and he becomes All-Pro somewhere else that they will hear about it. In baseball, David Ortiz would be an example.

Plus they think that they can hire a free agent for cheap rather than using the draft choice. It is a numbers game.
    Good point. I suppose the purpose of a late round is to draft you think you don’t have as much of a chance in free agency..

15. Default Re: NSIC in the NFL

That's a product of Thielen signing so late in the recruiting process, according to Hoffner (read that somewhere, but can't find it now)
    If that's true, and whatever the reasoning is, it kind of dampens the story that the MN sports writers like to flash every waking second.

Certainly doesn't take away from his abilities as an athlete though, I don't mean it in that context.

I think that is correct. And of course, the legend grows each week. I saw today on TV that some guy has (or is writing) a book on Thielen.

For me, you could probably write about my athletic career in a paragraph.

17. Default Re: NSIC in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I think that is correct. And of course, the legend grows each week. I saw today on TV that some guy has (or is writing) a book on Thielen.

For me, you could probably write about my athletic career in a paragraph.
    In the grand scheme of athletic careers, he is still unproven. Seems a bit early for that.

In the grand scheme of athletic careers, he is still unproven. Seems a bit early for that.
    I would agree. And he is my favorite Viking.

Back in 1967, about a month after the Six Day War, I saw a book for sale about it. I didn't bother to buy it- not just because I still hadn't entered 8th grade- but because I knew it wouldn't have much new information in it.

If that's true, and whatever the reasoning is, it kind of dampens the story that the MN sports writers like to flash every waking second.

Certainly doesn't take away from his abilities as an athlete though, I don't mean it in that context.
    LOL it's the national writers doing most of the talking about that fact.

20. Default Re: NSIC in the NFL

LOL it's the national writers doing most of the talking about that fact.
    I'll give you that. I follow some on social media, and it can be insufferable.

But the local sports writers up in the good 'ole Twin Cities toss out their fair share of insufferability. I thought it was odd last year how a few of them magically seemed to care about the Mavericks in the playoffs... yet probably couldn't name the starting quarterback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast