View Poll Results: Which Coaches Will Be Gone?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • UCM - Jim Svoboda

9 18.00%
  • PSU - Tim Beck

16 32.00%
  • NSU - Rob Robinson

23 46.00%
  • WSU - Craig Schurig

5 10.00%
  • MSSU - Joe Bettasso (Doesn't keep interim.)

28 56.00%
  • Other - Post Below!

1 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who gets fired at the end of the year?

Contribute to D2

Default Who gets fired at the end of the year?

Which coaches do you think will be in the unemployment line when the season ends? SEE POLL ABOVE.

Default Re: Who gets fired at the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by TDs&Beer View Post
    Which coaches do you think will be in the unemployment line when the season ends? SEE POLL ABOVE.
    Maybe you should be fired from your job, but who cares!!…stupid poll

Quote Originally Posted by mtxe View Post
    Maybe you should be fired from your job, but who cares!!…stupid poll
    If you don’t perform well at your job, you are let go. It sucks and sometimes not totally your fault. That being said this is a common watercooler talk and part of being a coach. Results get paid, lack of gets relocation.

The last two wins by Emporia has me pausing; I don't know why but I think Higgins, and it may not be because he's let go but goes somewhere else. If NSU moves on from Robinson does Higgins go back to Oklahoma and try at NSU?

Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    The last two wins by Emporia has me pausing; I don't know why but I think Higgins, and it may not be because he's let go but goes somewhere else. If NSU moves on from Robinson does Higgins go back to Oklahoma and try at NSU?
    No way. They are not willing to invest in their football.

Blog Entries

In addition to Hookem’s point, why would Higgins leave ESU? He has done well there, but he hasn’t won a league title yet, and a move to NSU would push that goal back a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    In addition to Hookem’s point, why would Higgins leave ESU? He has done well there, but he hasn’t won a league title yet, and a move to NSU would push that goal back a LOT.
    Plus he already gets the Oklahoma kids to come to ESU. Now if UCO job opened up....

There have been a lot of stupid posts on this site over the years but this might just take the cake. Leave your alma mater in your wife’s hometown, and a program that you have taken to the playoff in three of the last five years for a program that hasn’t won three games in the last five years? That’s some interesting logic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HookemHerd View Post
    Plus he already gets the Oklahoma kids to come to ESU. Now if UCO job opened up....
    That’s a great point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    There have been a lot of stupid posts on this site over the years but this might just take the cake. Leave your alma mater in your wife’s hometown, and a program that you have taken to the playoff in three of the last five years for a program that hasn’t won three games in the last five years? That’s some interesting logic.
    Higgins is an ESU alum? I had forgotten that. Yeah, no way he leaves ESU of his own volition.

I hope that none of them get fired. I know two of them and they are very high quality people. That being said, TDs&Beer makes a very valid point about results; this is especially true in football, and not nearly so true in sports of lesser profile. I could see NSU and / or MSSU making a change based on the number of losses over the past several years but don't really know of course. I hope they give those guys some more time (all of them in fact) but understand if the decision to let them go is made. Sucks for them, and for their assistants....and for all of their families. This is the harsh reality but one that their families (maybe not little kids if they have them), are aware of; no matter how you slice it, it's just terrible for their families. This is one of the reasons I couldn't ever have been an effective administrator; I don't think I'd ever have the ability to let somebody go unless it was for moral turpitude.

PS
    I don't think Schurig or Svoboda in any way really deserve even being on a poll for being let go. Again, I don't have the character of an administrator so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Northwest Missouri State University
    BEARCATS

I attended a coaching clinic years ago and a coach by the name of Lee Corso was talking. He said, "There are two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that are about to be!"

I would love to have Higgins back. He has coached twice at nsu and both times we were more successful than we are now.

14. Default Re: Who gets fired at the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeman View Post
    I attended a coaching clinic years ago and a coach by the name of Lee Corso was talking. He said, "There are two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that are about to be!"
    "Unless a manager owns the team or dies on the job, he's going to get fired." - Casey Stengel, as retold by Whitey Herzog

Quote Originally Posted by optionright View Post
    "Unless a manager owns the team or dies on the job, he's going to get fired." - Casey Stengel, as retold by Whitey Herzog
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    I'm not saying he is or really would leave; then again, he's a long way from a title this year with everything that returned on offense that will be leaving after this season. He's been at ESU for 12 years now; not everybody has to be a lifer at an institution so at age 49 he's got 15+ more years to work another program.

ESU should probably know that better than anybody right now; Bob Fornelli put in 15 years at ESU, becoming the winningest baseball coach at his alma mater and left for Pitt St. this year.

I'm not saying he is or really would leave; then again, he's a long way from a title this year with everything that returned on offense that will be leaving after this season. He's been at ESU for 12 years now; not everybody has to be a lifer at an institution so at age 49 he's got 15+ more years to work another program.

ESU should probably know that better than anybody right now; Bob Fornelli put in 15 years at ESU, becoming the winningest baseball coach at his alma mater and left for Pitt St. this year.
    There is a huge difference between Pitt State baseball and Northeastern State football. The Gorillas were in the baseball regional last year. Not to mention that it's a lot easier to make a quick turnaround in baseball than it is in football.
    I'm not saying that Higgins will stay at ESU forever (he's not immortal afterall), but I'm pretty sure that he won't leave for a rebuilding project in the same conference.

i can think of only one reason an alum leaves to take what at best is a lateral move. $$$ and idk why you’d overpay for a man with 0 titles. if you have that kind of scratch laying around call someone who’s won something like chris brown. but do it fast bc pitt’s firing beck probably sooner than later and i can’t imagine he’s not their first call.

back to the land of reality the es coach isn’t leaving for another league job the notion is absurd. at least not anytime soon

19. Default Re: Who gets fired at the end of the year?

Why on God's green Earth would Higgins leave Emporia State? He has built that program into a good one, he is a alum of ESU and he also recruits very well in Oklahoma. He treats the states of Kansas and Oklahoma as one... there is no border to him. Why would he leave ESU for anyone else where he is beloved and is situated in a very good spot recruiting wise for his Kansas/Oklahoma connections. I'm sure he would love to win a conference title as much as the fan base but he has done enough there to pretty much get his a career/lifetime contract. Unless the wheels completely feel off, he is completely safe in Emporia.

MoSo has had an extra long time to look for a coach. I think That's definitely going to be one of them.

Beck still has a chance to save the season if they win out and NW does the same. If not, I could see it being a real possibility.

NSU is gone.

The other 2 are probably safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast