Thread: Chaos in Big Rapids

Contribute to D2

Default Chaos in Big Rapids

https://articles.mlive.com/news/gran...y_facult_3.amp

Ferris State faculty have zero confidence in their president. Is this the calm before the storm for all things Ferris? Are the TA shady shennagans finally coming out?!?!

Default Re: Chaos in Big Rapids

What does this have to do with TA or Ferris athletics?

Faculty and staff had a strike when the school year started because of pay. Nothing to do with Ferris athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post

Faculty and staff had a strike when the school year started because of pay. Nothing to do with Ferris athletics.
    Just wait....the **** storm is coming. It starts with the faculty and trickles down. #liberalsrule

All part of negotiations. No different than high school teachers going on strike and using what leverage they have to try and get a deal done. Does make me wonder what exactly is happening with the student body right now. Hopefully the team can focus on football and not this.

Yeah...I'm no fan of TA (and to be clear, I wasn't a fan of his dating back to his years at Jenison and Muskegon), but I fail to see the connection between TA and the faculty lacking confidence in the President.

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    Yeah...I'm no fan of TA (and to be clear, I wasn't a fan of his dating back to his years at Jenison and Muskegon), but I fail to see the connection between TA and the faculty lacking confidence in the President.
    Probably little to none. But if one wanted to be an instigator, the media could ask TA if he supports the Univ. or the faculty.

Doubt that the basketball coach is worried about his job either

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post

I have heard through the grapevine (Ferris faculty member) that one of the big sticking points is the fact that a shocking percentage of Ferris faculty do not hold degrees in the fields in which they teach. Allegedly, Ferris received some sort of caution from the Higher Learning Commission (the regional university accreditation organization) regarding faculty being “appropriately qualified” in their fields. Ferris wants to move professors around into their appropriate fields, but that could—I imagine—have pretty big ramifications for seniority, tenure, pay scales, et cetera.

If this is indeed the case (and the individual who told me this has no reason to lie about the university for which he’s a professor), the repercussions for not resolving it would spread far beyond the “administration vs. faculty” disagreements

9. Default Re: Chaos in Big Rapids

Quote Originally Posted by lutherd View Post
    I have heard through the grapevine (Ferris faculty member) that one of the big sticking points is the fact that a shocking percentage of Ferris faculty do not hold degrees in the fields in which they teach. Allegedly, Ferris received some sort of caution from the Higher Learning Commission (the regional university accreditation organization) regarding faculty being “appropriately qualified” in their fields. Ferris wants to move professors around into their appropriate fields, but that could—I imagine—have pretty big ramifications for seniority, tenure, pay scales, et cetera.

If this is indeed the case (and the individual who told me this has no reason to lie about the university for which he’s a professor), the repercussions for not resolving it would spread far beyond the “administration vs. faculty” disagreements
    I have heard some of these rumors along with the issue of Football and Basketball head coaches salaries and their assistants getting raises. Same type of issues that a lot of colleges have to address when Faculty feels they are being thrown under the rug in salary and position issues come up. If TA beats MM again, GV should do their part to help out Ferris by trading coaches.

At the PSAC public schools (ie. the 14 members of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education), coaches and, if I'm not mistaken, athletic trainers and certain support staff, are covered under collective bargaining with the union representing PASSHE professors. Are coaches at the Michigan state schools (Ferris, GV, etc.) covered by collective bargaining as they are in Pennsylvania?
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    At the PSAC public schools (ie. the 14 members of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education), coaches and, if I'm not mistaken, athletic trainers and certain support staff, are covered under collective bargaining with the union representing PASSHE professors. Are coaches at the Michigan state schools (Ferris, GV, etc.) covered by collective bargaining as they are in Pennsylvania?
    GV is non-union

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUp View Post
    All part of negotiations. No different than high school teachers going on strike and using what leverage they have to try and get a deal done. Does make me wonder what exactly is happening with the student body right now. Hopefully the team can focus on football and not this.
    From a current student, no one cares about this at all, nor do the players, or really anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Bos715 View Post
    From a current student, no one cares about this at all, nor do the players, or really anyone
    Of course a punk kid wouldn't care. Drinking beer is way more important, I get it, I was a college kid once too. Would you care if Ferris had to forefeit 4 of their wins this season due to Ferris having players who were ineligible but played anyways AND coaches knew about it?? Don't answer that question....it's rhetorical. Nevermind, you probably don't know what that means.
    Last edited by IH8SVSU; 10-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.

14. Default Re: Chaos in Big Rapids

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SVSU View Post
    Of course a punk kid wouldn't care. Drinking beer is way more important, I get it, I was a college kid once too. Would you care if Ferris had to forefeit 4 of their wins this season due to Ferris having players who were ineligible but played anyways AND coaches knew about it?? Don't answer that question....it's rhetorical. Nevermind, you probably don't know what that means.
    *Player, there I fixed it for you. Mind you a kid who played mop up duty in the first four games because people above the athletics department stamped him as eligible.

15. Default Re: Chaos in Big Rapids

Ferris St, 7-0, says it has ineligible player
    BIG RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — Ferris State says its undefeated football team has been playing with an ineligible player who transferred to the school.

The Bulldogs say they reported the problem to the NCAA and the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Jeanine Ward-Roof, vice president for student affairs, says the player's transfer history "was complex," and the decision to declare him eligible was the result of misinterpreting a rule.

WOOD-TV and The Grand Rapids Press identified the player as defensive lineman Dan Perry, who transferred from Kent State. He also was a wrestler at Michigan.

Ferris State says it has declared the player ineligible but is talking to the NCAA about making him eligible. The Bulldogs are 7-0 and ranked No. 2 in Division II.

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/sports/n...72d58b108.html
    Pete Sirianni. Digital Editor, New Castle News.

2016 IUP graduate. twitter.com/petersirianni.

Quote Originally Posted by GLIACWatcher View Post
    *Player, there I fixed it for you. Mind you a kid who played mop up duty in the first four games because people above the athletics department stamped him as eligible.
    Yes I'm sure it was an honest mistake