Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,682
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    105641

    Default Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    As of this week who is the least deserving team in the top 25 poll here at D2?

    A. Pitt State
    B. Notre Dame
    C. IUP

    A. Pitt has 1 loss against the first good team they played and it was a total butt kicking
    B. Notre Dame has played nobody but has beaten everyone on their schedule with 3 of their games being easy wins and 3 close
    C. IUP has lost 2 in a row and their signature win at the start of the year vs Ashland doesn't look as good now as it did in Week 1 since Ashland has stumbled to a 3-3 record.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Hard to say Notre Dame - as they have the leading rusher in D2 in Jaleel McLaughlin who is almost on pace to break the single season record. Notre Dame may not be all that good but as long as they have arguably the best player they will win the MEC and should be in the top 25.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    As of this week who is the least deserving team in the top 25 poll here at D2?

    A. Pitt State
    B. Notre Dame
    C. IUP

    A. Pitt has 1 loss against the first good team they played and it was a total butt kicking
    B. Notre Dame has played nobody but has beaten everyone on their schedule with 3 of their games being easy wins and 3 close
    C. IUP has lost 2 in a row and their signature win at the start of the year vs Ashland doesn't look as good now as it did in Week 1 since Ashland has stumbled to a 3-3 record.
    I would say IUP, and let's see if Notre Dame can continue to go unbeaten.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Posts
    1,616
    Rep Power
    102532

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    C.

    Based on your description it seems IUP is benefitting from their early No. 4 ranking combined with a misperceived early marquee win. My thing is, why are coaches polls even a thing? My wife understands that my availability is limited during football season so we know coaches have no time for anything but developing their team. How could we expect them to be familiar with teams outside their schedule :)

    The quantitative polls are fun because as the weeks pass more data is compiled and they become more fair (theoretically) but for the teams with no OOC games.
    Last edited by boyblue; 10-10-2018 at 12:07 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    As of this week who is the least deserving team in the top 25 poll here at D2?

    A. Pitt State
    B. Notre Dame
    C. IUP

    A. Pitt has 1 loss against the first good team they played and it was a total butt kicking
    B. Notre Dame has played nobody but has beaten everyone on their schedule with 3 of their games being easy wins and 3 close
    C. IUP has lost 2 in a row and their signature win at the start of the year vs Ashland doesn't look as good now as it did in Week 1 since Ashland has stumbled to a 3-3 record.
    Notre Dame beat Shepherd to start the year who was ranked around 15th at the time in the poll. Shepherd is young this year, but has been pretty good in the past from year to year with a few semifinal appearances.

    I know SR1 doesn't ever win and yada yada, but ND is one of the top 25 at this point and deserving.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    5,114
    Rep Power
    483536

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Im going with

    d. Central Washington beaten no one good and lost to a bad WT team who didnt even gain 100 yards passing, not because they didnt need to either. Their QB is just not good.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,744
    Rep Power
    236138

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    A. PSU

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    35416

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Im going with

    d. Central Washington beaten no one good and lost to a bad WT team who didnt even gain 100 yards passing, not because they didnt need to either. Their QB is just not good.
    well if we can add teams - Tiffin has beaten two teams that are 2-4 and four teams that are 1-5

  9. #9

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Im going with

    d. Central Washington beaten no one good and lost to a bad WT team who didnt even gain 100 yards passing, not because they didnt need to either. Their QB is just not good.
    I looked at putting them in there, but I didn't know enough about Eastern Washington (CWU's 1st loss) to put them in there. They played WT close who played Azusa close. Not that who beat who really tells the story but that was my off the cuff reasoning.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    well if we can add teams - Tiffin has beaten two teams that are 2-4 and four teams that are 1-5
    Wow, good call. Didn't know that about Tiffin. Shame on me. Good catch and a legit D. Tiffin add.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    1,153
    Rep Power
    72803

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    E. Auburn. because they suck....oh we are talking D2 :)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tomlinson Stadium and Nicholson Pavilion
    Posts
    3,025
    Blog Entries
    52
    Rep Power
    67786

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallst View Post
    I looked at putting them in there, but I didn't know enough about Eastern Washington (CWU's 1st loss) to put them in there. They played WT close who played Azusa close. Not that who beat who really tells the story but that was my off the cuff reasoning.
    Eastern is the #3 D1-AA team in the country this week.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Goods View Post
    Eastern is the #3 D1-AA team in the country this week.
    Yea I only keep up with D1 and D2 and then the D1-AA playoffs. NDSU etc. And usually watch the D3 championship game between Wisconsin Whitewater and Mount Union.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    5,114
    Rep Power
    483536

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Goods View Post
    Eastern is the #3 D1-AA team in the country this week.
    Wt is not a good team, they are better than last year but their only other wins are over OPSU, winnless Western new mexico and 1 win UTPB(over western nm).

    They have shut out 1 opponent OPSU

    Western nm has their 2nd most points against WT.

    Tarleton beat them by 37. the largest spread they have beaten anyone by this year.

    GNAC is way way way down from last year as is the LSC.

    Central Wash. is floating on name rec now. Other than their second game vs AZUSA they will not play another team with a winning record this year.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Goods View Post
    Eastern is the #3 D1-AA team in the country this week.
    And CWU played them closer than D1-FCS Cal Poly... wow, 70-17 win against Cal Poly for EWU. That's a beat down. Oregon State only beat Cal Poly 48-25.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,096
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    And CWU played them closer than D1-FCS Cal Poly... wow, 70-17 win against Cal Poly for EWU. That's a beat down. Oregon State only beat Cal Poly 48-25.
    The transitive propert rarely works in football

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,636
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    The transitive propert rarely works in football
    I was using it more to show how bad OSU football is, I don't doubt Cal Poly is bad as they lost to Southern Utah who lost to UNA as their first D1-FCS win. CWU stopped the run early against EWU, but the pass coverage was terrible as EWU ate the secondary alive all game long. They are more a passing team though, which has showed in the games I payed attention for them it seems.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tomlinson Stadium and Nicholson Pavilion
    Posts
    3,025
    Blog Entries
    52
    Rep Power
    67786

    Default Re: Least Deserving Top 25 Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    The transitive propert rarely works in football
    It does if it supports my argument for our Wildcats. You shut your mouth you dang banker/mathmetician.......... but I'm still invited to your tailgate, right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •