Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

Thread: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,983
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    159801

    Default 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Carter Kirk is a huge loss in the middle, but I'm intrigued by the guys we've brought in to replace him. McNease is a JUCO transfer with only one year of eligibility. I'm assuming he'll be the guy to start the season. He was a late add to the roster, as it sounded like Elie Ghomsi left the team late in the summer. We also have the true freshman Jake Phipps from Anoka, who actually enters the program at a bigger size than Carter Kirk left the program. Though with Kolin Bartlett back after being a fine backup last year, the staff may get away with redshirting Phipps.

    Then there's the losses on the wing with Moen and Davis. I'll be interested to see who plays well enough in camp to take over those spots.

    The nonconference schedule is a lot lighter than normal. We have the one NSIC/MIAA challenge, but otherwise the rest of the schedule is filled with D3/NAIA opponents. First trip out of Marshall is Dec. 14-15.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    I see we get Nebraska again, but it's not an exhibition this time. Is there some reason for that, or is it just a scheduling thing?

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    I assume Nebraska needs the game to count.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    I assume Nebraska needs the game to count.
    Miles needs to keep his job.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest69 View Post
    Miles needs to keep his job.
    That's a good one.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    I assume Nebraska needs the game to count.
    That's what I was thinking... I just wasn't sure.

    Based on the record books, this is the biggest opponent they've ever faced - non-exhibition of course.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest69 View Post
    Miles needs to keep his job.
    Haha, I love the guy and the NSU ties...but I can't pull for him to succeed at Nebraska, just cant do it. That said, regardless of what happened, he has performed a miracle by making them even a competitive basketball program. Its like making KU good at football, just seems impossible.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    I assume Nebraska needs the game to count.
    A game can count for one team and be an exhibition for the other, at least that's been the case in the past.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,829
    Rep Power
    179455

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest69 View Post
    Miles needs to keep his job.
    If Frost had scheduled SMSU he might've been able to keep his job.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    A game can count for one team and be an exhibition for the other, at least that's been the case in the past.
    That was what I was thinking as well. A few years back, NW played UMKC. It counted for them and was an exhibition for us. We should have counted it as well since we got the win.

  11. #11

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    That was what I was thinking as well. A few years back, NW played UMKC. It counted for them and was an exhibition for us. We should have counted it as well since we got the win.
    Is there still rumors of UMKC coming to D2? I had heard that quite a whole ago due to some serious financial trouble, not sure if any of it was true.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    A game can count for one team and be an exhibition for the other, at least that's been the case in the past.
    Correct. Most D3/NAIA teams that play a D2 team will count it as an exhibition despite it being countable for the D2 team.

    Anyone remember when Concordia beat UW-Milwaukee? What? That was last year? Wow. Watch out for the Golden Bears. I believe in Joey James

  13. #13

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Is there still rumors of UMKC coming to D2? I had heard that quite a whole ago due to some serious financial trouble, not sure if any of it was true.
    I heard a whisper or two about it a year ago or so and nothing since. The way the MIAA is adding non-football schools, they would be a great fit (not sure that's a good thing though).

  14. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest69 View Post
    Anyone remember when Concordia beat UW-Milwaukee? What? That was last year? Wow. Watch out for the Golden Bears. I believe in Joey James
    Last year

  15. #15

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    Last year
    Thanks

  16. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Closed door scrimmage in Marshall on Tuesday between the Huskies and Mustangs. 'm not sure why Matt would do this. Drive 2 hours to get it handed to you that early in the season, hope if doesn't break the Huskies desire before they even get started.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    I think we will be good.

    I am not sure we will win the South for the 3rd year in a row but it is possible.

    I think we have a lot of good shooters which is interesting to see how that plays out. If we are hitting threes we will be hard to beat. If we are cold shooting it might be a tough night. Just a few initial thoughts

  18. #18

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    I think we will be good.

    I am not sure we will win the South for the 3rd year in a row but it is possible.

    I think we have a lot of good shooters which is interesting to see how that plays out. If we are hitting threes we will be hard to beat. If we are cold shooting it might be a tough night. Just a few initial thoughts
    I would agree with this. We might not win the South, but I think we'll be competitive. A lot will depend on how the young guys continue to develop. We'll have 5 seniors in the rotation, but the rest will be sophomores and redshirt freshmen.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Missed the weekend games, but seeing that we made 19 3s Saturday was encouraging (ended weekend shooting 31-53 from 3-point range). If the preseason poll ends up accurate though, the Friday loss to Emporia could end up hurting us by the end of the year.

    Bruggeman finished the weekend with 18.0 ppg and 10.5 apg. I don't know what the rest of the conference did, but I feel like those numbers will be tough to beat this week for potential POW.

  20. #20

    Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Bruggeman finished the weekend with 18.0 ppg and 10.5 apg. I don't know what the rest of the conference did, but I feel like those numbers will be tough to beat this week for potential POW.
    Guebert had 26 ppg , 7.5 rpg, 2.5 apg with 33 on Friday. And they went 2-0.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •