Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    This weekend's Hall of Honor inductions (Scott and Chad Koenen) had me wondering who would be on the SMSU men's basketball Mt. Rushmore. Ready, go!
    Bruggeman
    Sam Leggett
    Ross Demasi
    Jake Fahl

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    Bruggeman
    Sam Leggett
    Ross Demasi
    Jake Fahl
    Never saw Leggett play, approve of the other 3, but any Rushmore that can't find room for Chad Koenen needs a 5th face.

Quote Originally Posted by cat fan View Post
    Never saw Leggett play, approve of the other 3, but any Rushmore that can't find room for Chad Koenen needs a 5th face.
    The interesting thing is people could easily say that Scott was the better of the Koenens. DeMasi was a great player, but I think he'd just miss my list. I know very little about Leggett other than the numbers, which are obviously impressive.

Does Tim Miles deserve a spot for turning around the program?

The interesting thing is people could easily say that Scott was the better of the Koenens. DeMasi was a great player, but I think he'd just miss my list. I know very little about Leggett other than the numbers, which are obviously impressive.

So, it is possible I have my Koenens confused. I remembered Scott as the almost 7-footer and Chad as the shorter do-everything forward. Do I have it backwards?

Miles is an interesting call. People in Wayne would likely put McDermott on the Rushmore list, which is a pretty good comp to what Miles did. I do wish Miles had been able to turn it around at Lincoln. The year looked so promising yet in early January, but then somehow the offensive chemistry stagnated, and then Copeland got hurt, and it all fell apart at breathtaking speed. If PSU gets hot the Huskers may not stay out of last place. Hard to believe. Now, well, Miles is probably on borrowed time.

So, it is possible I have my Koenens confused. I remembered Scott as the almost 7-footer and Chad as the shorter do-everything forward. Do I have it backwards?
    Yup, it seems you have it backwards from what I know (I'm bummed I missed that era)

Now, well, Miles is probably on borrowed time.
    Yeah, you're probably right. It'll be interesting to see where he goes from there. I would think he could get another HC gig somewhere right away but not sure it'd be in a major conference. So does he go down to a midmajor or stay at the major level as an assistant somewhere....

Scott and Chad are probably very deserving and my guess is 50% of Mustang fans would have them both on the list! Thought I would leave them off to spur debate.

Demasi was POY in the NSIC and All American in 2009 Elite Eight season

Scott Koenen was All American in 2001 Elite Eight Year but was not NSIC POY - Kyle Schlaak I believe.

Bruggeman is an easy choice. After that there are probably 6-7 guys in the same category

Miles is an interesting call. People in Wayne would likely put McDermott on the Rushmore list, which is a pretty good comp to what Miles did. I do wish Miles had been able to turn it around at Lincoln. The year looked so promising yet in early January, but then somehow the offensive chemistry stagnated, and then Copeland got hurt, and it all fell apart at breathtaking speed. If PSU gets hot the Huskers may not stay out of last place. Hard to believe. Now, well, Miles is probably on borrowed time.
    Chad was 6'10" center
    Scott 6'7'' small forward

don't put coaches on there.

Greg Stemen just as important to the program as Tim. That might be unpopular, but both were essential. Tim made that first giant leap and made folks think it could happen, but Greg sustained it and made a second Elite Eight trip with an entirely different team and a different style. Proved the program could stay strong and compete
    And, another unpopular opinion, the league that Stemen did it in was way better overall than the NSIC at Tim's time. without Greg the Miles era may have just been a flash in the pan and we might have reverted back to being the worst college basketball program in the history of CBB (which we were - look it up)

And then there is Brad. But for the NW MO buzzsaw, Brad would have an Elite Eight trip and again the NSIC is now even tougher. So all three are equal in my book for different important reasons.

Tim's recent year in Lincoln is such a bummer. Talked to him in Sioux Falls after the OSU game. That was fun. Then they struggled a bit but Copeland got hurt and that was it. Not much you can do. It just plain sucks.

don't put coaches on there.

Greg Stemen just as important to the program as Tim. That might be unpopular, but both were essential. Tim made that first giant leap and made folks think it could happen, but Greg sustained it and made a second Elite Eight trip with an entirely different team and a different style. Proved the program could stay strong and compete
    And, another unpopular opinion, the league that Stemen did it in was way better overall than the NSIC at Tim's time. without Greg the Miles era may have just been a flash in the pan and we might have reverted back to being the worst college basketball program in the history of CBB (which we were - look it up)

And then there is Brad. But for the NW MO buzzsaw, Brad would have an Elite Eight trip and again the NSIC is now even tougher. So all three are equal in my book for different important reasons.
    Well said....

Personally, my attention these last two weekends of the regular season will be focused more on the WBB program.

We're at 8-10 with 4 games remaining. Why is that important? Our best conference record since the Kelly Kruger era was going 9-11 in 2009-10.

Stangs need either Augie or USF to go 0-2 to get into a tie breaker for a home game (and have no clue how the tie breaker works out.) USF and Augie play on Friday night so we will have to root for the loser to lose again Saturday.

Of course this also requires SMSU to go 2-0 on the Wayne- Augie trip and that is very hard so who knows how this will all play out.

Should be a fun weekend.

Bruggeman is having a good year

Bruggeman
    Sam Leggett
    Ross Demasi
    Jake Fahl
    I struggle with this one. I lean towards the players I have seen play. The program has been better than it was historically, so that’s why I am going like this.

Bruggeman
    Jacob Fahl
    Scott Koenen
    Ryan Krome

I give honorable mentions to:
    DeMasi
    Fletcher
    Chad Koenen

It'd be easy to get down about the state of the MBB program after a disappointing year and losing the seniors we'll lose. It's just another reset of the cycle. This year was a lot like 2009-10 and 2014-15, while next year will probably be similar to 2010-11 and 2015-16.

Program has a lot of pretty good talent coming in this next class...
    Cliff McCray (Sioux City West HS, IA) - This kid has been stuffing the stat sheet all season long. He has 4 triple-doubles on the season and averages 21.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg and 7.7 apg.
    Logan Benson (Ellsworth HS, WI) - Averaging 23/12
    Sam Schwartz (White Bear Lake HS, MN) - Averaging 17.6 ppg and 7.6 rpg
    Noah Chamberlain (St. Thomas Academy HS, MN) - Teammates with USF commit Jack Thompson. Thompson averaging 18/7, Chamberlain averaging 16/8.
    Andy Stafford (Hopkins HS, MN) - Numbers won't wow you for this kid averaging 10 ppg, but he's playing on a team with Zeke Nnaji (signed with Arizona) and Kerwin Walton (2020 grad with offers from Minnesota, Creighton, Baylor, Kansas State and Purdue).

Remember how I brought up 2010-11 and 2015-16? The 2010 recruiting class brought in Vinard Birch and Nick Smith as immediate starters with Will Giddings and Matt Zager as redshirt freshmen, while that 2015-16 season included true freshman Michael Lee and redshirt freshmen Ryan Bruggeman and Taylor Schafer. I'm excited to see what players from this recruiting class will join current redshirts Jake Phipps and Brian Dayman as hopeful immediate contributors.

17. Default Re: 2018-19 SMSU Mustangs Thread

Remember how I brought up 2010-11 and 2015-16? The 2010 recruiting class brought in Vinard Birch and Nick Smith as immediate starters with Will Giddings and Matt Zager as redshirt freshmen, while that 2015-16 season included true freshman Michael Lee and redshirt freshmen Ryan Bruggeman and Taylor Schafer. I'm excited to see what players from this recruiting class will join current redshirts Jake Phipps and Brian Dayman as hopeful immediate contributors.
    Fighter of the Nightman? Sounds like you guys have a good one there.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Coach Brad Bigler

@CoachBradBigler
    Following Following @CoachBradBigler
    More
    Along the way, several people have helped me. Even though I never played for Coach Ford, I will forever be grateful for the opportunity he gave me here at SMSU. Today Heaven added a good man.
    RIP Coach Ford ✝️

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Coach Brad Bigler

@CoachBradBigler
    Following Following @CoachBradBigler
    More
    Along the way, several people have helped me. Even though I never played for Coach Ford, I will forever be grateful for the opportunity he gave me here at SMSU. Today Heaven added a good man.
    RIP Coach Ford ✝️
    What? Perry Ford passed away? He was one of my favorite competitors. Is there a link for that?

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
    What? Perry Ford passed away? He was one of my favorite competitors. Is there a link for that?
    Coach, I just found it on Twitter. There was no other link so I'm assuming Brad just posted it. I'll try to find more info but Southwest people might have more luck.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast